• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v Fiji Drua Sun 19-3-23

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Actually I thought that was one of Zander’s better games too. Will be interested to see the stats but he seemed to be going forward in the scrums and industrious around the field.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The bench confused me, especially when you had a rookie at 12. Did Fraser play the last 10 or so in the centres? Maybe the Reds’ coaching staff thought they could win with whoever playing wherever?
Ran out of backs subs when Vuni had to go off, so Fraser went to centres

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What's going on with Harry Wilson? Seemed a better player when he first hit the team.
He’s been great all year. And was Red’s Stan Pilecki medalist last year. Apart from today IMO he’s still been better than Langi Gleeson this year.

Edit: and I think Langi Gleeson has been damned good.

He had a mixed bag today but still made a bunch of key runs and a truck load of tackles.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Upfield and Vest coming off the bench are a big step down I'm afraid, and Uru and Smith aren't exactly killing it at starting locks either.

Really need Jones and Blyth back from injury; even Connor Anderson or Tauakipulu would be a bit better off the bench I think.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Upfield and Vest coming off the bench are a big step down I'm afraid, and Uru and Smith aren't exactly killing it at starting locks either.

Really need Jones and Blyth back from injury; even Connor Anderson or Tauakipulu would be a bit better off the bench I think.
Vest is really a #6 and Uru a 6/8, the lack of locks is killing us.
Thought Vest was busy enough when he came on, he didn’t get picked for his height.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It just seemed like we found ever way we could do blow a try. Our driving maul seemed able to make good metres - but we got done for obstruction on one 5 meter lineout and overthrew another. Flook was home and he tried to catch one handed. Wilson overran the pass with an easy draw and pass to score. We created numbers twice with backline strike plays and O’Connors passes hit the turf. I feel like I still missed at least 1 botched try.

Then there were the other plays like Campbell’s tackle before the ball came down, O’Connors charge down off the re-start, Wilson passing into McReights face, and Campbell’s cross field kick when we were in our 22. Our lineout generally.

But - we got the biscuits. Annan got a staring debut and Lynagh got experience closing out a game. Nonggorr got another one under his belt and O’Connor got match fitness in a high tempo game.

Hopefully we get Petaia back next week and hopefully we are very close to getting back a few of the injured players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Taj Annan, 12 tackles made, 2 missed. Most tackles in the backline, not sure if they were targeting him or not but solid defensive effort which was a concern of mine at least pre-match.

There was a bit of concern when vunivalu went off, but hung around after game for photos and no ice pack, which is positive.
762AD10F-FAB3-4A43-8D59-B92CFBCA9C6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thoughts from the ground were that Flook has one hell of a rugby brain, Daugunu has a different player this year and is working his arse off for great effect and Annan really built into the game after early pressure in his channel from the Drua.

Will have to rewatch it for a more detailed take, but jeez it's great to be back at suncorp. First home game of the season always puts a smile on my face. Not sure how it looked on tv but the crowd felt packed in on the shady side where we while looking very sparse on the sunny side.