• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v Fiji Drua Sun 19-3-23

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
one of the elements about Wilson's attack game that many underrate, is that he generates quick ball. While he doesn't always break the line, he has a great presentation (very good hands) that generally gets the ball back and clean very quickly.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
one of the elements about Wilson's attack game that many overrate, is that he generates quick ball. While he doesn't always break the line, he has a great presentation (very good hands) that generally gets the ball back and clean very quickly.
Half the reason Gregory Alldritt is one of the best 8s in the world is his ball placement, permits Dupont to do his freaky stuff.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
one of the elements about Wilson's attack game that many overrate, is that he generates quick ball. While he doesn't always break the line, he has a great presentation (very good hands) that generally gets the ball back and clean very quickly.
I'm not sure people fully appreciate the shear volume of work he's getting through either - he has lead the carries in every game he's played this year and this is the 2nd week in a row he's carried 24 times, almost twice as much as the next best (Lomani/Wright - 13). All this while usually being in the top 5 for tackles (top 10 this game).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think for Wilson, the lack of ball running alternatives in the forward pack is hurting him.
He is the primary target for ball running off the ruck, there aren’t many other good alternatives or they’re not putting their hands up. Which makes him the primary target for defence, Reds need to use other options, let Wilson run as decoy more or look to pop the ball on to other options.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think for Wilson, the lack of ball running alternatives in the forward pack is hurting him.
He is the primary target for ball running off the ruck, there aren’t many other good alternatives or they’re not putting their hands up. Which makes him the primary target for defence, Reds need to use other options, let Wilson run as decoy more or look to pop the ball on to other options.
Losing Hunter as an immediate option off the ruck made this more apparent too imo

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Only about 13.5k as per the announcement at the ground. Staff were letting pundits move into the shade, thankfully, which packed the Western side in the lower deck.

Reds marketing team will have to work hard to get ticket sales with more competition at Suncorp this year. Hindsight is 20-20 but the decision to begin the season in Townsville against an opposition that doesn't traditionally pull mass crowds and then have an afternoon game in mid March, again against a team that does not bring a lot of fans, has left a lot of money on the table. Though, I am not sure how much influence the Reds have over the draw as to what time of year they play their afternoon games.

Unfortunately for the marketing team their jobs are not made easier when the games are played as they were today.
I was talking to my Uni student son at the game and wondered whether they could have a "student game", like the Highlanders do in Dunedin. Give heavily discounted tickets for one round - like $5 - to students with a current Uni card and blank out one of the bays at the northern end of the ground for them. Might create a real party atmosphere.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The best way to draw in the younger punters I think would be to play a couple of club curtain raisers before the games. 1st Grade obviously makes the most sense, but a Colts 1 game would also work.

Get the spectators to buy discounted tickets through their club in the lead up or have a QR code to scan at the ticket sales on gameday which offers a discount.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The best way to draw in the younger punters I think would be to play a couple of club curtain raisers before the games. 1st Grade obviously makes the most sense, but a Colts 1 game would also work.

Get the spectators to buy discounted tickets through their club in the lead up or have a QR code to scan at the ticket sales on gameday which offers a discount.
They have played a few school games as curtain raisers in the past , but the games were on hours before the main game and I'm not sure how much of the crowd actually stuck around for the Reds. You need a fairly big gap between games at Suncorp due to the lack of warmup facilities.
Would work at Ballymore.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
He tried hard and worked until final whistle but quality wasn’t there for a bloke who wants to play 8 for the Wallabies. He will exceed with better players around him.

Yesterday’s game wasn’t a good indicator of Harry Wilson’s ability or strengths. He and McReight are telegraphing their combinations so smart defensive systems are on to them.

QLD still playing much of the game as individuals. The times they do play as a team they look like they could beat anyone.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
They have played a few school games as curtain raisers in the past , but the games were on hours before the main game and I'm not sure how much of the crowd actually stuck around for the Reds. You need a fairly big gap between games at Suncorp due to the lack of warmup facilities.
Would work at Ballymore.

I know this was raised as a point of contention for hosting Super Round, but if the NRL can manage to facilitate multiple games in a day all based out of Suncorp for Magic Round, surely our rugby teams can manage to do a majority of their warmup in the ample indoor facilities and then use the field briefly when available.

I'm trying to think of other incentives they can offer to make sure the spectators hang around for both games - maybe a voucher for discount food/drinks that only becomes valid after the Reds kickoff?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Well he made several pretty silly mistakes. That said, it wasn't unique to him so maybe he was still up there in the MotM stakes.

Agree with you Derpus - the MotM bar would have to be set pretty low if Wilson got it, a number of handling errors alone I think put a red mark on his game.

Flook and Daugunu I think had better games overall.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I dunno Phil, I bought beers for my old man and I yesterday. 4 Golds and a tray was $39 and some change.

There's absolutely no way I could afford those prices as a Uni student and considering a slab of golds which is brewed across the road is $50, Suncorp/the Government aren't doing punters any favours.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I dunno Phil, I bought beers for my old man and I yesterday. 4 Golds and a tray was $39 and some change.

There's absolutely no way I could afford those prices as a Uni student and considering a slab of golds which is brewed across the road is $50, Suncorp/the Government aren't doing punters any favours.

Yeh you aren't wrong, but when I used to head out to Ballymore for a game and drink, it was never because it was cheap. A poor uni student will always be a poor uni student no matter the cost of the beers, but if you're putting on a product that people enjoy, they find a way.

Totally agree though that general cost of living pinch isn't helping us (or any form of entertainment) which is why they need to think outside the box and actually draw people in who WANT to watch a live game.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Totally agree though that general cost of living pinch isn't helping us (or any form of entertainment) which is why they need to think outside the box and actually draw people in who WANT to watch a live game.
Sunday arvo game in mid-March probably wasn't the best decision

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sunday arvo game in mid-March probably wasn't the best decision
As has already been said there's only so much say the Reds (or any other team) have in the scheduling. Hopefully this will improve when the competition management moves on from SANZAAR to a fit for purpose body, some of the decisions seem pretty obvious - e.g. don't play an afternoon game in QLD before April.