• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Big Pete

Frank Row (1)
  • Cabous elloff
  • Brandon Paenga-Amosa
  • Jermaine Ainsley
  • Harry hockings
  • Luke Jones
  • Liam wright
  • Fraser McReight
  • Harry Wilson
  • Tate McDermott
  • James O’Connor
  • Jordan Petaia
  • Hunter Paisami
  • Josh Flook
  • Suliasi Vunivalu
  • Jock Campbell
  • Matt Faessler
  • Peni Ravai
  • Harry Hoopert
  • Angus Blyth
  • Seru Uru
  • Kalani Thomas
  • Tom Lynagh
  • Lawson Creighton
Feel these 4 signings are achievable and strengthen the front row

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Eloff has another year left in his contract at the rebels. It's not an impossible get but I wouldn't describe it as achievable.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ollie Hoskins would be a good get with London Irish folding to solve our prop depth - need to get more genuine first class experience in the squad
He'd be worth talking to but my understanding is Hoskins has said in the past he couldn't see himself playing for anyone but the Force back in Australia. Unless they're uninterested I can't see us getting a hold of him.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jermaine Ainsley would be worth targetting. Would also potentially look at bringing Harry Vella back to QLD from the ACT. He didn't get any game time this season with the Brumbies being behind the likes of Schoupp, Slipper and Ross, but definitely has potential and could be worth developing.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Well goodbye 2023. Goodbye Thorn. Thanks for your efforts.

where to from here?

every time it’s new coach time at the Reds we get teased with a global search and list of experienced and qualified coaches - to then only be served up relative rookies who are great blokes and/or legends of the game.

there is something wrong with the Reds part of the QRU.

without fixing the blind spots the administration has we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

There are 2 questions the Reds management need to have a long honest chat about:
1. As one of the two major player development centres in Aus, why can’t we identify and keep our best? Why are other professional unions able to negotiate a contract with agents for some of our best talent? Yet we prefer to blacklist. There is a cultural problem there. A lack of professionalism that allows personalities to override astute business decision making. Our squad management and recruitment is awful considering the legacy Queensland rugby possesses. Our list is in disarray. And we find ourselves in this slump far too regularly - once again in rebuild phase.

2. As one of the two major player development centres in Aus, why can’t we recruit and attract experienced, successful and qualified coaches? The list of rookies and newbies is long - From Miller and Slack through Graham Stiles Thorn etc. it’s been a perennial issue for the club save for coaches like knuckles and link. When does recruiting your own take a backseat to recruiting some fans with improved performance?

It would almost be better if they declared that the Reds are QLD only - never to recruit outside our pathways for players and coaches - at least we’d know what the strategy is and understand the heights we could reach. It would at least be something fans could truly engage with. But at the moment it’s unclear - and it looks almost as though outsiders don’t want to come here, and a fair few developed through our own pathways are looking for ways out. And that is a real issue.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Jermaine Ainsley would be worth targetting. Would also potentially look at bringing Harry Vella back to QLD from the ACT. He didn't get any game time this season with the Brumbies being behind the likes of Schoupp, Slipper and Ross, but definitely has potential and could be worth developing.
Harry Vella still recovering from ACL and signed for 24 and Tom Ross leaving Brumbies to unknown destination.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
We’ve got at least one more game this year.
A less optimistic fan would have written a “Goodbye 2023” post weeks ago!

but yes the regular season is over and its onto the finals. If we can replicate our earlier win over the chiefs it will truly be a unique kind of season! Here’s hoping!!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Well goodbye 2023. Goodbye Thorn. Thanks for your efforts.

where to from here?

every time it’s new coach time at the Reds we get teased with a global search and list of experienced and qualified coaches - to then only be served up relative rookies who are great blokes and/or legends of the game.

there is something wrong with the Reds part of the QRU.

without fixing the blind spots the administration has we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

There are 2 questions the Reds management need to have a long honest chat about:
1. As one of the two major player development centres in Aus, why can’t we identify and keep our best? Why are other professional unions able to negotiate a contract with agents for some of our best talent? Yet we prefer to blacklist. There is a cultural problem there. A lack of professionalism that allows personalities to override astute business decision making. Our squad management and recruitment is awful considering the legacy Queensland rugby possesses. Our list is in disarray. And we find ourselves in this slump far too regularly - once again in rebuild phase.

2. As one of the two major player development centres in Aus, why can’t we recruit and attract experienced, successful and qualified coaches? The list of rookies and newbies is long - From Miller and Slack through Graham Stiles Thorn etc. it’s been a perennial issue for the club save for coaches like knuckles and link. When does recruiting your own take a backseat to recruiting some fans with improved performance?

It would almost be better if they declared that the Reds are QLD only - never to recruit outside our pathways for players and coaches - at least we’d know what the strategy is and understand the heights we could reach. It would at least be something fans could truly engage with. But at the moment it’s unclear - and it looks almost as though outsiders don’t want to come here, and a fair few developed through our own pathways are looking for ways out. And that is a real issue.
To be successful the Reds need to realise that they are a business, not a sport when making decisions. Their business is sport.

I think every decision should be based on getting the best performance on the field, not repaying loyalty or the legend status of someone from years ago.

Put simply, everyone recruited should be the best possible player/coach/admin etc that is available, this should be the only criteria, if we end up with 15 players and a coach who are not from QLD then so be it.

I realise that nobody will agree with this but the team is a franchise and maybe if we want traditional teams then we need to have rep teams for each state that have a series each year that are selected from where ever they play.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Harry Vella was destroyed in a Colts semi-final after coming off the bench fresh. No wonder he went to Canberra.

The Reds keep dishing up the same rubbish. The only forwards worth retaining are Wright, Uru, McReight, Faessler and Nonggor. Broom the rest.

Petaia, McDermott and Flook keep. Broom the rest.

Eddie Jones can see this. Even Blind Freddie can see this.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Recruitment for 2024 needs to have some heavy-weighted players. THP, LHP, lock, flyhalf, and fullback.
Unless there's some movement, I can't see any new flyhalfs or fullbacks - and I wouldn't say they should be a priority, given who we currently have on the books, and the need for more depth in other positions you mentioned.

10: Lynagh, Creighton, O'Connor (looking more likely he signs than not), HMP (presumably next in line)

15: Petaia, Campbell, Grealy, Aubrey

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we need any more Fly Halves or Full Backs. With Lynagh, Creighton could possibly be replaced with a journeyman replacement but funds would be better invested in quality props and second row depth.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Unless there's some movement, I can't see any new flyhalfs or fullbacks - and I wouldn't say they should be a priority, given who we currently have on the books, and the need for more depth in other positions you mentioned.

10: Lynagh, Creighton, O'Connor (looking more likely he signs than not), HMP (presumably next in line)

15: Petaia, Campbell, Grealy, Aubrey
I said heavy-weighted. Not developing.

Petaia is better on the wing, JOC (James O'Connor) at inside centre and Campbell on the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are there are veteran second rowers who might look to retire from international service after this years RWC?

I think the Reds could use someone like a Retallick for a couple of seasons, the kind of bloke who'll call you a dumb prick if you stuff up on the field, but also the first to crack a beer with you after the game and talk it out.

Some of the fades from key players like Wilson could be ironed out with having that hard-nosed leader on the park to lift everyone heads back up.