• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

No it won't. Because coaches are no different to players. Just when you thought they'd been kicked to the kerb for good they show up somewhere else.

Surely his head coaching career in Australia would be over in the short term, but I have no doubt he'd be able to find himself another appointment in Japan, France, England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Did he not have reasonable success at Bath?

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tattsy was my choice a while ago but after speaking to certain former players they believe a few more years experience is required for him to take over a HC job. He was very well respected certainly in the player group at the Reds and demands execution but may need to learn a bit more. The Reds need a seasoned coach that when he comes in will also have the respect of the group straight away something that RG doesn't have now and I don't think ever had. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of the performance reviews from yesterday. From what I heard there were some blunt truths put out there.
Last thing on Tattsy I think the Wallabies should get him here asap for their defensive coach. He was a massive loss to the Reds when he left that role and would be a great addition.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I disagree that they need a seasoned coach. You just need a guy with the right personality and maturity. If the right guy comes in he will demand respect. It is something earned by actions not from your title.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Considering all things hypothetical, I was wondering if it were possible for the head coach to be from a different code. Assuming the right assistant's for skills/attack/defence were in place I wonder if you could get away with a successful non-rugby coach. I hear Wayne Bennet's looking for a gig. imo, he could do no worse then RG.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I would love John "Knuckles" Connolly to come back and coach the Reds. Even if it was only for a year to get things back on track. He is a bloke (like Alec Evans) who knows Queensland Rugby.

Don't think you have the forwards to support a Knuckles game plan. And your backs aren't good enough in defence. Plus the crowds would like the winning but get sick of the grinding.

I speak as a Tahs fan whose coaches decided "win ugly" was a thing.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Didn't one of the NRL coaches have a gig as head coach in the UK a couple of years ago?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Chris Anderson had a gig with a rugby club in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Karmichael is on board!

LOCK in Karmichael Hunt for the Reds. Best of all, he will be a worldly wise off-field mentor for the erratic James O’Connor when they team up in the backline next season.
Hunt is a big step closer to wearing the Reds fullback jersey because rugby league’s Gold Coast Titans were told last week he would not be linking with them. Gold Coast sources say the deal is already done and that Hunt will be training at Ballymore next year after an amicable parting with the Gold Coast Suns after four AFL seasons.​
Hunt’s latest code switch makes perfect sense. Jumping into rugby will extend his football life by another four years at least, two at the Reds and an adventure overseas in 2017-18. Hunt is also a perfect fit for the Reds to fill the void at fullback. He plays with aggression, he can shoot through the defence himself and can make players around him better.​
There have been a lot of distracting laments about this failed Reds season from a massive injury toll to woeful defence conceding 52 tries to botched finishing when on the tryline. Too often overlooked is the Reds not being great passers of the football outside Will Genia and Quade Cooper.​
It reached a head last weekend when Jamie-Jerry Taulagi did some good work down the touchline only to throw a no-look pass. Why exactly he threw a no-look pass in a two-on-one situation is the great mystery because the ball sailed over the touchline when his eyes should have been glued on Lachie Turner.​
Hunt is a driven footballer and something more. He would be a first season rookie at the Reds next year but a wonderful leader. He has the stature to whack O’Connor if he hints at getting out of line off the field which is something contemporaries Cooper and Genia might find harder to enforce.​
O’Connor organised a clause in his short term contract with French club Toulon to allow him to be back in Australia on January 1. A Hunt-O’Connor-Kerevi-Tapuai-F’Sautia-Cooper-Genia backline has a look of real punch for next year. Parting ways with Biarritz-bound Rod Davies means a real wing speedster must be a priority for the Reds along with that big, brawny backrower who is harder to find than the Yeti.​

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Tucker's got his facts right the leaguies will be furious & I can see the likes of Tallis & Geyer demanding to know why Smith hasn't used his war chest to recruit Hunt & if they're not willing to use it on Hunt, who would they use it on? Obviously not in the same sentence, they may in fact job-share: GT "isn't this why the NRL set up the marquee player thingy? So we could sign guys like Hunt?" MG: "Yeah, if you're not gonna spend the money on Hunt, who are you gonna spend it on?" Almost worth recording the Sunday Footy Show to see what if any attention this gets.

T

TOCC

KHunt and Bieber Boy on board would be great news for the Reds, and makes some sense of the recent exodus of talent.

I still think that some real bruisers wearing single digit numbers are needed to win the ball for the Hairdressers to score with.

Although the forwards were good in the last game against the Tahs, they have ultimately been the weak link the last 2 years. Back-row especially.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't think they've forgotten forward recruitment, there was a Carmichael quote recently suggesting they'd already got one big backrow player and were close to getting another.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is Lachie Turner's contract status?

Surely Hunt, O'Connor and CFS would push him to the bench.

I'm pretty sure the Force would be interested in him and he'd almost certainly be a starter over here.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I know there was a rumour going around that turner was in talks with the force but it was strange because he was signed with the reds still.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I imagine that Turner will still be fairly vital to the Reds plans. Having someone of his talent, experience and dependability will be valuable in building depth. Yes, with the (alleged) signings of O'Connor and Hunt and the emergence of Kerevi as a 13 then we have a very impressive backline but a couple of injuries and we start looking very thin on the ground. Having a bloke like Turner that can slot in anywhere in the back three will be invaluable.

That doesn't even touch on what he brings to work ethic and culture. From what I have heard he is the walking embodiment of a clubman.

Status
Not open for further replies.