• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With McIntyre nominated in the 10 slot controlling a largely unproven back line, it doesn't sound solid to me.

You're right though regarding the weakest link. Let's see what happens with the missing three and a marquee.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There was rumour Hegarty was on his way to you guys at some point.

If that was true, he'd help support the inexperienced half. Play him at fullback with KHunt at 13 and you shouldn't have problems getting the ball out to Kuridrani, Kerevi, CFS etc.

T

TOCC

My opinion is that there is the talent within the current Reds squad to push for a finals spot in 2016, but it would require a good coach and a real change of attitude at a number of levels for that to happen, which i don't think the Reds have.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was rumour Hegarty was on his way to you guys at some point.

If that was true, he'd help support the inexperienced half. Play him at fullback with KHunt at 13 and you shouldn't have problems getting the ball out to Kuridrani, Kerevi, CFS etc.

He's gone to Japan.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Check out how the Football (soccer) teams were run in Queensland and don't forget the Brisbane Lions. The Reds are getting close to that rung though.

The big differences being the Roar actually win games, had a winning record last year and have won 3 of the last 5 titles.

The Lions have nowhere near the talent the Reds have and get similar results.

Financially the Reds are still dining off 2011 (although profits falling each year). Given the rugby network, corporate interests and fact this is Brisbane the Reds should be financially more secure than those teams if they don't win a game for 10 years.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My opinion is that there is the talent within the current Reds squad to push for a finals spot in 2016, but it would require a good coach and a real change of attitude at a number of levels for that to happen, which i don't think the Reds have.
Really? Take away our props, Simons, Douglas and Gilly, and we don't have any other players at that higher level required for finals. Most finals teams have about 7-8 of these international quality players.

But regardless, as you said, the raw talent won't get developed under the curremt coaching structure.

T

TOCC

Really? Take away our props, Simons, Douglas and Gilly, and we don't have any other players at that higher level required for finals. Most finals teams have about 7-8 of these international quality players.

But regardless, as you said, the raw talent won't get developed under the curremt coaching structure.

Test selection for its most part is a reflection of form, and the Reds form of 2015 was obviously lacking, that doesn't mean there isn't test potential within the squad.

There are 5 current Wallabies in the squad, and i think there are a few more who could earn selection if the Reds actually had a good season.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's unlikely given RG's record. I can only recall one player that has debuted for the wallabies whilst being (head) coached by Richard Graham during his time at the Force and the Reds.

Plenty have stopped being picked though.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Gel are you getting membership? I am favoring renewal but am waiting for some signs that change has really taken place. Some type of strong statement from the coaches like no dickheads will be tolerated, along the lines of Cheiks or the type of quiet yet focussed statements that Larkham makes. Something that is said with authority and credibility. I guess I am looking for leadership at the Reds, remember when Link started and immediately he became the mouthpiece of the Reds, he made me believe again, come on RG you are at the helm again, give us fans something that will make us believe in 2016.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If verbal or written statements carried any weight with this regime we'd be the unquestioned super stars of rugby working on a dynasty that would make the Crusaders of yore shudder..

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gel are you getting membership? I am favoring renewal but am waiting for some signs that change has really taken place. Some type of strong statement from the coaches like no dickheads will be tolerated, along the lines of Cheiks or the type of quiet yet focussed statements that Larkham makes. Something that is said with authority and credibility. I guess I am looking for leadership at the Reds, remember when Link started and immediately he became the mouthpiece of the Reds, he made me believe again, come on RG you are at the helm again, give us fans something that will make us believe in 2016.
I have already renewed. My wife and I don't really have a lot of opportunities to get out together and dinner followed by rugby is pretty good generally.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The teams that make the finals usually have around 8 or so players who would be solid internationals and the teams that win often have 10+ in my observation.

Historically, Teams chock full of talented players under the age of 25 don't win as much as teams with some young talent sprinkled on top of a base of somewhat experienced professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not expecting the Reds to make the finals with this squad. It's about expectations. I just want solid game plans, executed, win the majority at home and an occasional away win please.
how can you expect solid game plans & a winning percentage at home?
same coach,and a weaker squad than this year doesn't translate into improved performance IMO.
Unfortunately,I don't think you've hit rock bottom yet.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The teams that make the finals usually have around 8 or so players who would be solid internationals and the teams that win often have 10+ in my observation.

Historically, Teams chock full of talented players under the age of 25 don't win as much as teams with some young talent sprinkled on top of a base of somewhat experienced professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah possibly in theory but I'm not sure it plays out like that as often as you think. Highlanders last year had what 2 ABs?
The Tahs pre 2014 had probably 8-12 Wallabies consistently and never won the thing. Sure having test players in your squad can only be good but it's not the be all and end all.

I'm with Reg. It's all about expectations. I don't expect us to take out the S18, but my options are support the Reds or don't follow Super Rugby. Supporting another team isn't an option so I need realistic expectations for the Reds. We've made changes to the coaching set up. I have no fucking idea if they'll help but winning most of our home games and the odd away game, and doing so with a solid structure and game plan will do me for now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not expecting the Reds to make the finals with this squad. It's about expectations. I just want solid game plans, executed, win the majority at home and an occasional away win please.

Jesus Reg. You are watching the Reds franchise in 2016 for Christ sake. I'm with you on "want". But there is a need for just a touch of reality regarding expectations.

We (more accurately RG) worked from a seriously solid set piece and forwards last year. Forwards that have had a lot to do with the current WB performances. And often the better share of possession.

And failed.

With a far superior back setup, I think, last year. Forwards similar, backs going backwards this year. Same muppet in control. Just where are you seeing this miraculous improvement?

We need to get a grip. I have resigned myself to another season of bottom dwelling. But I won't cope if key influential fans are voicing unrealistic expectations. I can't go through that again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm with Reg. It's all about expectations. I don't expect us to take out the S18, but my options are support the Reds or don't follow Super Rugby. Supporting another team isn't an option so I need realistic expectations for the Reds.

Sorry, but when do we start doing that? The realism thing? Not seeing it slightly yet.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
My expectations are my own. I don't expect anyone else to get on board with them but they can if they want.
What is the point of even following the Reds if my expectation is for them to come stone cold last?
What's not realistic about it? They have the ability to achieve my expectations and the fact that they didn't this year isn't proof that they won't next year.
If you need everyone else to hold the same expectations as you to cope with next years season is suggest you're probably better off not following the Reds. It may be easier on you. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.