• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In the case of Hooper - who plays solely as a seven - the 5 year contract suggests RA don't think a better 7, who may dislodge him, will come along in the next 5 years. thats a massive call in test rugby.
Or they think the odds are sufficiently low that its worth the money.

If a coach wanted to select someone else, i doubt he'd be stopped.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Captain and most marketable player should get the most money.

It's just because people don't like Hooper.

This speculation is kinda pointless without exact sums anyway. We are comparing unknowns.
No it’s not. $1 Million was too much to pay Hooper, or in fact anyone else in our current set up, including Pocock who has clearly demonstrated this year he is head and shoulders our most influential player. I have no problems with Hooper, not with him getting well paid or that they signed him for 5 years. Yes, Hooper’s divisive - that doesn’t mean all of us who objected to his contract terms don’t have considered positions.

I don’t know Petaia’s contract value - but singing up young guys like this to longer terms can often save money. I don’t see any suggestion in communications that the paid overs for him - but I do understand he was heavily sought after so I expect they had to pay some level of premium for him.

This is a good signing and a good contract. Longer term contracts for both the best talent and the best prospects is standard in other sports.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm personally hoping to see Petaia develop into the form Australia 13.

I know I have argued against wingers/fullbacks/etc. being played at 13 in other threads, but the thing that really gets me about Petaia is his defensive positioning and ability in the tackle. Those are the trademarks of a great outside centre.

On top of this, he's clearly a massive talent in other areas, such as his powerful running, tactical kicking, and his catch-and-pass skills. These things combined could make him a truly world-class 13.

However, worst case, he won't be given a continued shot there and will just be a great winger/fullback. Also clever work by his agent to have the contract expire the year before a world cup; watch as Rugby Australia throw the kitchen sink to keep him come 2023.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Guys you’re welcome to talk Hooper somewhere else. This is (reputedly) the REDS thread.
Dru - I get the gist - but the conversation wasn’t specifically about Hooper, it was a comparison of the contracts and the wisdom of signing Petaia to 4 yrs.

You can, of course, skip over them.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I know I have argued against wingers/fullbacks/etc. being played at 13 in other threads, but the thing that really gets me about Petaia is his defensive positioning and ability in the tackle. Those are the trademarks of a great outside centre.

On top of this, he's clearly a massive talent in other areas, such as his powerful running, tactical kicking, and his catch-and-pass skills. These things combined could make him a truly world-class 13.

Will be really interested to see a Kerevi-Petaia 12-13 pairing. Their skill set's complement each other really well and they should have a lot of time to develop a combination, has a bit of that Nonu-Smith feel to it (though still a long way to go). Not exactly sure what happens with Paia'aua in that situation though, he's still got plenty of potential.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Averaged less than 1 missed tackle per game in 11 matches as an 18-year-old in Super. By those numbers he's far and away the best defensive back we have in the current Wallaby squad.

From a Wallaby perspective I'd like to see a Kerevi-Petaia 12-13 combo but I couldn't blame the Reds for squeezing DP in at 12 and bumping Kerevi and Petaia out one. Once you add Daugunu in with those three it's shaping up to be a pretty good looking backline, especially running off the back of arguably the best scrum in the comp. Reds are real bolters for the finals imo.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The squad looks too 12 and 13 heavy. It looks too light at 15 and the wings.

Playing people out of position is dumb and rarely works - and fucks up young guy's development.

Reds recruiting processes are just haphazard and without planning.

They are a bad organisation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The squad looks too 12 and 13 heavy. It looks too light at 15 and the wings.

Playing people out of position is dumb and rarely works - and fucks up young guy's development.

Reds recruiting processes are just haphazard and without planning.

They are a bad organisation.

Geez Gel. While I can only agree that the Reds have been a bad organisation, the loose care and concern this year over CEO is something of a marker - but don’t you think they might have hit bottom and have bounced?

The only real disaster here would have been losing Petaia.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Understand your comments about shuffling players around Gel - but Duncan has played both 10 & 15 previously, albeit not so much at 15, and has the skill set to be good there.

He has been okay at 12 without kicking on.

The other alternative (if Thorn goes with a Kerevi-Petaia centre combo) is the bench. Pretty sure Paia’aua would rather have a crack at 15.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
better to develop Perese at 15, daugunu adn CFS on wing, Samu and Jordan in the midfield..and wait for it... DP at 10. McGahan is green, Stewart is crap and tela is well and unknown..

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
better to develop Perese at 15, daugunu adn CFS on wing, Samu and Jordan in the midfield..and wait for it. DP at 10. McGahan is green, Stewart is crap and tela is well and unknown..

Seriously !!!! Stewart CRAP???
He and Maddocks are the 2 most talented 10s in the land, not sure which games you are watching. Hamish should be in England now, he is the future.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
better to develop Perese at 15, daugunu adn CFS on wing, Samu and Jordan in the midfield..and wait for it. DP at 10. McGahan is green, Stewart is crap and tela is well and unknown..
That’s a tough assessment on Stewart - especially given his limited opportunities at Super level. IMO he has things to work on but is far from crap.

Personally I do think Paia’aua could be serviceable at 10, but would rather him at 12 or 15.