• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That was a gutsy win. Nil all at the oranges.

Yellow card swung our season back into contention.

3 wins and 4 losses. If we can win at least one game in South Africa.. I’ll be happy

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kerevi is going to have to be rested from one of those games.

We'll also be potentially short wingers won't we? Both Sefa and Filipo going off injured.

Jock Campbell likely to tour now.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Really. The idea of a head coach learning the job, on the job, at the pinnacle of the sport is an absolute joke. We've seen time and time again that there isn't much between the best Super Rugby coaches and the best Test Rugby coaches but there sure as shit is a gulf between the appointments the Reds have made for the last 6-7 years and the best coaches (or even, just good coaches) in Super Rugby.

Beating the South African equivalent of the Reds doesn't really change anything I said above. The Stormers have had a lot of similar problems to the Reds in the last several years and are bad for a lot of the same reasons. Their head coach is even a local boy who made a name for himself by dominating an Under-21 competition but has no real head coaching experience at the top level - sound familiar?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

We'll also be potentially short wingers won't we? Both Sefa and Filipo going off injured.

It seems we are nit taking our U20s guys on tour either. Our depth will be massively tested.

B

Bobby Sands

Really. The idea of a head coach learning the job, on the job, at the pinnacle of the sport is an absolute joke. We've seen time and time again that there isn't much between the best Super Rugby coaches and the best Test Rugby coaches but there sure as shit is a gulf between the appointments the Reds have made for the last 6-7 years and the best coaches (or even, just good coaches) in Super Rugby.

Beating the South African equivalent of the Reds doesn't really change anything I said above. The Stormers have had a lot of similar problems to the Reds in the last several years and are bad for a lot of the same reasons. Their head coach is even a local boy who made a name for himself by dominating an Under-21 competition but has no real head coaching experience at the top level - sound familiar?

Well I see it differently.

There wasn’t exactly a glut of world class coaches lining up to take onthe Reds task. More to the point we had lost our identity.

Brad Thorn is a legend of QLD & has been involved in three of the most successful programs in history.

He is here for the long-term & genuinely cares about creating a successful program.

From the POV of beating the Stormers, winning is habit & with a young group I will take them anyway I can. Especially when the growth of players such as Wright, Stewart, Kerevi, Rodda, Hockings etc is so evident.

Go Reds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Depth will be tested, CFS is due back so that’s something. For the forwards ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is back as well, I think Harry Wilson might get a spot on the tour.

Out of the rest of the contracted squad, you have Jock Campbell, Will Eaddie, Aidan Toua, Sebastian Wileman and Matt McGahan all playing club rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Head Coaches have to learn somewhere though right?
In terms of recruitment for clubs; Coaches like players are at the mercy of market forces.
Promoting a coach/player from within will always be considerably cheaper then recruiting from external.

I agree 100% that Brad Thorn wasn’t the best coach available, but just maybe he was the best coach they could afford?
Then subsequent argument to this could be, if Brad Thorn was the best they could afford and he isn’t good enough, then have they budgeted enough for coaching resources at the QRU?

Last years Reds coaching team was a budget lineup, this years is significantly stronger, I think they recognised they under invested last year and have tried to amend going forward.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Depth will be tested, CFS is due back so that’s something. For the forwards ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is back as well, I think Harry Wilson might get a spot on the tour.

Out of the rest of the contracted squad, you have Jock Campbell, Will Eaddie, Aidan Toua, Sebastian Wileman and Matt McGahan all playing club rugby.

Apparently the 20s won’t tour. So no Wilson, Lucas, McReight etc.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Fact is - Brad Thorn has earned every promotion up his climb of the coaching ranks.

I forgot what he was originally hired for but the reds decided to give him u20’s

What did he do? went undefeated in the u20’s

From the u20’s the QRU asked him if he’d like to sink his teeth into the NRC.

What did he do? He won the whole damn NRC competition and if I recall qld country the season before May have even been wooden spooners?

If the NRC is a pathway for young players to make the next progression to super rugby then it’s logical that the NRC also is a coaching pathway to the next level which is super rugby.

Look Brad is not perfect. But his giving this team an identity. No drug taking/partying too hard f^ckwits, no soft players, must love football and be able to take a demotion now and then for the better of the team. What happened with Quade is unfortunate. I don’t know what happened with him and brad but Quade didn’t deserve the doghouse. Everyone else like Slipper/Hunt sow what they reaped. There’s absolutely no leinancy for drugs in Brad thorns reds and I stand 100 percent behind Brad on that because it’s his vision of what kind of player is needed on and off the paddock.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps a touting party of.

15 Hamish Stewart
14 Sefa Naivalu
13 Chris Feauai-Sautia
12 Samu Kerev
11 Jack Hardy
10 Bryce Hegarty
9 Tate McDermott
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Liam Wright
6 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 Izack Rodda
4 Harry Hockings
3 Ruan Smith
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
1 JP Smith

16 Alex Mafi
17 Harry Hoopert
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Angus Blythe
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Duncan Paia'aua
23 Teti Tela

24 Gavin Luka
25 Adam Korczyk
26 Jock Campbell
27 Aidan Toua

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Perhaps a touting party of.

15 Hamish Stewart
14 Sefa Naivalu
13 Chris Feauai-Sautia
12 Samu Kerev
11 Jack Hardy
10 Bryce Hegarty
9 Tate McDermott
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 Liam Wright
6 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 Izack Rodda
4 Harry Hockings
3 Ruan Smith
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
1 JP Smith

16 Alex Mafi
17 Harry Hoopert
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Angus Blythe
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Duncan Paia'aua
23 Teti Tela

24 Gavin Luka
25 Adam Korczyk
26 Jock Campbell
27 Aidan Toua

Hardy will be with the u20s too.

Forgot Korczyk existed. He had a fall from grace didn't he.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is McGahan playing yet? Didn't he arrive with a broken leg or something? I thought that might take a bit of time to recover from. What club is he with?

I had heard he was back this weekend but can't see him listed in the teams. Perhaps off the bench?
And yes, I had heard the same (and thought the same) about a broken leg!)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hardy will be with the u20s too.

Forgot Korczyk existed. He had a fall from grace didn't he.

God yes. From recollection he looked like he has muscled up a bit too. I would be great to see him on the field again. Like DP another player who has showed great promise.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Kerevi might not tour, according to the SMH.

That's absolutely stupid by the ARU if that's the case. If Kerevi doesn't travel he will have close to an entire month of not playing rugby (the Reds have a bye when they get back from the Republic).

The next three games are all double points as we're playing the Sunwolves, Rebels and Waratahs, so Kerevi needs to have some kind of match fitness.

I would suggest it would be better for him to travel with the Reds and play the Bulls then head home early. It'll mean the Reds won't need to find a completely new centre pairing for the first week on tour and lets the young kids settle on tour. Hard to tell, but I would imagine the Shorks game is going to be the one we won't be competitive in so better to concentrate on getting the W against the bulls.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Tough couple of weeks in Africa.

I hope the boys get a day here and there of down time to enjoy some of the splendour of SA. Touring is part of the lure of rugby.

A night in a rondavel at Hluhluwe-Umfolozi or a big braai with the local dutchmen up in Pretoria.

I reckon we can sneak a win perhaps two. I think the jaapies will underestimate us. A forward game with loads of kicking will suit us. Stewart, Hegarty and Lucas will be key. Keep those big units in their half.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here’s the tour squad

Forwards
Angus Blyth – Bond University
Scott Higginbotham – Wests
Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
Harry Hoopert – Brothers
Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
Gav Luka – Bond University
Alex Mafi – Bond University
Brandon Paenga-Amosa - Sunnybank
Izack Rodda – Easts
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
JP Smith – GPS
Ruan Smith – GPS
Taniela Tupou – Brothers
Liam Wright – Easts

Backs
Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
Jack Hardy – Easts
Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
Bryce Hegarty – GPS
Samu Kerevi – Souths
Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
Sefa Naivalu – Norths
Dunacn Paia’aua – Norths
Moses Sorovi – Wests
Hamish Stewart – Bond University
Teti Tela – Souths
Aidan Toua – Brothers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The squad features the matchday 23 from last night’s 24-12 win against the Stormers, minus Filipo Daugunu, Isaac Lucas and Fraser McReight.

Lucas and McReight will remain in Brisbane and join fellow Reds squad member Harry Wilson for a Junior Wallabies camp next week in preparation for the Oceania U20s Championships on the Gold Coast later this month.

While Daugunu is out due to injury after suffering a broken arm during the opening half of last night’s match at Suncorp Stadium.

Sidelined for the Stormers game, Angus Scott-Young (concussion) and Chris Feauai-Sautia (hamstring) will both travel to South Africa.

Adam Korczyk, Teti Tela and Aidan Toua have all been brought in, while Bond University prop Gav Luka and University of Queensland flyer Jock Campbell could potentially make their Super Rugby and Queensland debuts following their inclusions.