• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is this Dynasty’s second year as jersey provider? It seems the turnover in kit makers is much higher in rugby union than other sports. In the last 5 years the Reds have had

Dynasty
Zoo
BLK
Kooga

maybe I’m missing one? I know Kooga evolved into BLK in Australia.
Stretch that to 10 years and you're closer to the truth. My rough timeline is: Kooga 2010-12, BLK 2013-17, Zoo 2018, Dynasty 2019-present

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Stretch that to 10 years and you're closer to the truth. My rough timeline is: Kooga 2010-12, BLK 2013-17, Zoo 2018, Dynasty 2019-present
Ahhh yep fair enough

Is Canterbury still kicking around? I loved the quality of their products. But the material and fact most of the out of the box playing jerseys were long sleeve didn’t exactly make for comfortable playing conditions in QLD during the early parts of the season.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ahhh yep fair enough

Is Canterbury still kicking around? I loved the quality of their products. But the material and fact most of the out of the box playing jerseys were long sleeve didn’t exactly make for comfortable playing conditions in QLD during the early parts of the season.
Still around but just had a look and seem to have really dropped out of favour among professional teams. No doubt costs/licensing deals are the biggest driver of who wears what these days

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is this Dynasty’s second year as jersey provider? It seems the turnover in kit makers is much higher in rugby union than other sports. In the last 5 years the Reds have had

Dynasty
Zoo
BLK
Kooga

maybe I’m missing one? I know Kooga evolved into BLK in Australia.
They are all essentially the same company though. They just kept changing names.

Or maybe I should say a lot of the same people involved. My club got their jerseys through them. Had the same rep the whole way through.

We switched switched to Canterbury last year. Quality is still excellent and we’ve found them good to deal with.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
My team for round 1 - I realise this will not be the actual team, it is my preferences
1- Zander
2- Mafi
3- Tupou
4- Blythe
5- Smith
6- Wright
7- McReight
8- Wilson
9- McDermott
10- Stewart
11- Vunivalu
12- Flook
13- Paisami
14- Daugunu
15- Campbell

As I said this is my preferred team, some players it is as simple as them being my favourites, others are excluded as they are not players I have any particular fondness of.

Going through the team list we seem to have excesses of talent in certain areas but are lacking in others.

I wish the Reds could have swapped some utility backs/centres for flyhalf options with a bit more experience than Lynagh. It would be great to swap some of our excess talent for someone like Carter Gordon. easier said than done!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
My team for round 1 - I realise this will not be the actual team, it is my preferences
1- Zander
2- Mafi
3- Tupou
4- Blythe
5- Smith
6- Wright
7- McReight
8- Wilson
9- McDermott
10- Stewart
11- Vunivalu
12- Flook
13- Paisami
14- Daugunu
15- Campbell

As I said this is my preferred team, some players it is as simple as them being my favourites, others are excluded as they are not players I have any particular fondness of.

Going through the team list we seem to have excesses of talent in certain areas but are lacking in others.

I wish the Reds could have swapped some utility backs/centres for flyhalf options with a bit more experience than Lynagh. It would be great to swap some of our excess talent for someone like Carter Gordon. easier said than done!
You’ll find that JOC (James O'Connor) will retain the choice of flyhalf unless injured, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in at 5 and Petaia either at 13 or 15, and probably Fotuaika front row. Stewart and Flook to float around 12 and 13 throughout the season, depending where they play Paisami and Petaia. Stewart (or maybe Henry) could slot into flyhalf if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down.
Hearing Flook is training really well and mixed feedback on Lynagh.

EDIT. Pretty spot on for other positions

Last edited:

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1.Fotuaika 2.Mafi 3.Tupou 4.Smith 5.LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6.Scott-Young 7.Wright 8.Wilson 9.McDermott 10.Stewart
11.Daugunu 12.Paisami 13.Flook 14.Vunivalu 15.O'Connor

16.Asiata? 17.Zander/Hoopert 18.Nonggorr 19.Blyth 20.McReight
21.Jeans/Thomas 22.Henry 23.Petaia

I recognise Stewart might not be good enough for flyhalf, and JOC (James O'Connor) at super rugby level has proven he's capable, but I'm still not convinced that it is JOCs best position . I have always liked Stewart at flyhalf on paper, even though it hasn't worked out yet. He had a few shockers last year I recall particularly with some shotty passing, but with a bit of confidence and hard work i still think 10 is a better position for him. I doubt thorn will agree with me though. i expect the team to be:

6.Scott-Young/Wright 7.McReight/Wright 8.Wilson 9.McDermott 10.JOC (James O'Connor)
11.Daugunu 12.Paisami 13.Flook/Petaia 14.Vunivalu 15.Petaia/Campbell

16.Asiata? 17.Zander/Hoopert 18.Nonggorr 19.Blyth 20.Wright/McReight/Scott-Young
21.Jeans/Thomas 22.Stewart 23.Flook/Campbell

I don't know where Uru should fit in. he's too good to leave out, but I'm not sure he covers lock well enough to be put on the bench as a lock/6 and the backrow has to include any combination of Wright, McReight, Scott-Young and Wilso in the 23, so even though he's a beast I can't see where he fits.

I'm not at all convinced with our front row depth. Hoopert needs a big season to prove his continued worth, Zander too to a lesser degree. I think we need to see more from Nonggorr, because our luck with big T wont last forever and we don't have good enough tighthead coverage to deal with his loss if he goes down. does Fotuaika cover THP? I don't know the quality of Asiata but I don't think Nasser is a super rugby ready hooker. Also don't know about halfback depth after Tate. according to people on here who know a lot more than me, Thomas is improving, and Jeans is a gun, so hopefully that is good enough.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ahhh yep fair enough

The cotton jerseys are 1000% more comfortable to wear in the Queensland weather than the jerseys BLK/Zoo etc have made.

I've resorted to a media polo because it's actually lightweight compared to the normal Jersey's.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
6.Scott-Young 7.Wright 8.Wilson 9.McDermott 10.Stewart
11.Daugunu 12.Paisami 13.Flook 14.Vunivalu 15.O'Connor

16.Asiata? 17.Zander/Hoopert 18.Nonggorr 19.Blyth 20.McReight
21.Jeans/Thomas 22.Henry 23.Petaia

I recognise Stewart might not be good enough for flyhalf, and JOC (James O'Connor) at super rugby level has proven he's capable, but I'm still not convinced that it is JOCs best position . I have always liked Stewart at flyhalf on paper, even though it hasn't worked out yet. He had a few shockers last year I recall particularly with some shotty passing, but with a bit of confidence and hard work i still think 10 is a better position for him. I doubt thorn will agree with me though. i expect the team to be:

6.Scott-Young/Wright 7.McReight/Wright 8.Wilson 9.McDermott 10.JOC (James O'Connor)

16.Asiata? 17.Zander/Hoopert 18.Nonggorr 19.Blyth 20.Wright/McReight/Scott-Young

I don't know where Uru should fit in. he's too good to leave out, but I'm not sure he covers lock well enough to be put on the bench as a lock/6 and the backrow has to include any combination of Wright, McReight, Scott-Young and Wilso in the 23, so even though he's a beast I can't see where he fits.

I'm not at all convinced with our front row depth. Hoopert needs a big season to prove his continued worth, Zander too to a lesser degree. I think we need to see more from Nonggorr, because our luck with big T wont last forever and we don't have good enough tighthead coverage to deal with his loss if he goes down. does Fotuaika cover THP? I don't know the quality of Asiata but I don't think Nasser is a super rugby ready hooker. Also don't know about halfback depth after Tate. according to people on here who know a lot more than me, Thomas is improving, and Jeans is a gun, so hopefully that is good enough.

Fotuaika can play both tight and loose, if Tupou is injured then Fotuaika will be starting THP I believe.

Uru will be a more thesuitable cover for lock off the bench IMO, he has even bulked up further this off-season. He offers flexibility across backrow/lock cover.

As for flyhalf, a player who hasn’t been mentioned is Jock Campbell. Who has been getting a bit of game time there through pre-season. Ala Bryce Hegarty.

agree, hooker is the weakest position depth wise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
. I doubt thorn will agree with me though. i expect the team to be:

I’m sure Thorn played this exact team at certain points last year, only thing he hasn’t done is play Petaia at fullback

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Fotuaika can play both tight and loose, if Tupou is injured then Fotuaika will be starting THP I believe.

Uru will be a more thesuitable cover for lock off the bench IMO, he has even bulked up further this off-season. He offers flexibility across backrow/lock cover.

As for flyhalf, a player who hasn’t been mentioned is Jock Campbell. Who has been getting a bit of game time there through pre-season. Ala Bryce Hegarty.

If Uru is good enough then I would have him on the bench as the lock cover with one of ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright or McReight as the backrower. could be interesting to see how Tualima has developed as competition for him.

That's great that Fotuaika can cover both sides, gives me a bit more confidence since Nonggorr is still too green I think.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I’m sure Thorn played this exact team at certain points last year, only thing he hasn’t done is play Petaia at fullback
the team i doubted thorn would like is the initial one with Stewart at flyhalf, the bottom one quoted was what I presumed thorn would play.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Jock at 10! Wow! Love the guy and his organisation is top notch. Never considered 10, but I was getting a bit despondent about him losing out to Petaia. Not sure about 10 at all, but really looking forward to hopefully seeing it tested. Go Jock!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The cotton jerseys are 1000% more comfortable to wear in the Queensland weather than the jerseys BLK/Zoo etc have made.

I've resorted to a media polo because it's actually lightweight compared to the normal Jersey's.
I now buy media polos, I find them very comfortable too

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I would love Jock at 10, I just want him on the field, he has done nothing to lose his spot.

Reactions: dru