• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I find the decision to make McDermott co-captain an interesting one.

I get where JOC (James O'Connor) is coming from, but it seems to me McDermott’s big focus this year should be improving his core game and winning the starting Wallaby gig (obviously by focusing on playing well for Qld). I wonder if the captaincy is something he needs.

I guess part of the problem though is the limit of alternate options, especially when Wright’s starting spot can’t be guaranteed.

Some people absolutely thrive and you’d think he’ll lead from the front because it’s how he plays anyway. Just hope it drives him and doesn’t drag him down.
Based on some of his interviews I actually think McDermott seems like an appropriate fit for the leadership group - not a fan of half-backs being outright captain though.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hope you’re right about the likes of Lynagh playing QPR and we don’t see another repeat of 2020 and squad bubbles.
Those not getting regular minutes , particularly the younger ones , really need QPR for their development.
If Lynagh does play QPR what does UQ do with James Dalgleish and Brad Twidale (who are the likely starting 10 and 12)

Dalgleish won what ? 3 Premierships as Mick Heenan's 10. Con Foley and the Oates bros back in the backline so it seems

Maybe someone drops back to 15 if Mac isn't around much in the QPR , but , I am not sure that Mac will be a staple in the Reds game day 23 - which if he isn’t, he will see time back at QPR

It's an interesting one.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If Lynagh does play QPR what does UQ do with James Dalgleish and Brad Twidale (who are the likely starting 10 and 12)

It's an interesting one.

Simple! Send Mac and Lynagh down the road to Slyvan Road and keep playing together with the rest of the Reds backline ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Based on some of his interviews I actually think McDermott seems like an appropriate fit for the leadership group - not a fan of half-backs being outright captain though.
That makes no sense - history shows otherwise and effectively play pivotal role as does 10 in guiding the team around in any case..first and foremost you want a player with leadership skills regardless of position but I don’t see how a player who has that would be disadvantaged being captain - if anything I see advantages as per above

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
the Vintage Reds are holding a fundraiser game for the Tongan relief, as a curtain raiser to the Reds v Rebels game at Suncorp.

Two x 20 minute halves featuring players such as Horwill, Croft and Higginbotham v Tuqiri, Smith and Wendell (coached by Toutai)
Huggers is very fit and could easily get a contract!!

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
yep ^^ What Wilson said. Creighton probably a 10 option before Henry. Not discounting his abilities, and likewise I wouldn't have been surprised if he was the starting 12 and his goal kicking is superb. But he's not irreplaceable.
The old saying is nobody is irreplaceable!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I find the decision to make McDermott co-captain an interesting one.

I get where JOC (James O'Connor) is coming from, but it seems to me McDermott’s big focus this year should be improving his core game and winning the starting Wallaby gig (obviously by focusing on playing well for Qld). I wonder if the captaincy is something he needs.

I guess part of the problem though is the limit of alternate options, especially when Wright’s starting spot can’t be guaranteed.

Some people absolutely thrive and you’d think he’ll lead from the front because it’s how he plays anyway. Just hope it drives him and doesn’t drag him down.
McDermott’s dedication to the team and not just his personal journey is a massive benefit for the Reds now and in years to come. McDermott is popular and trusted within the playing group which will deliver better team cohesion. I really don’t think there was a better choice.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah Creighton is getting massive wraps, if he weren’t injured last year would have debutd earlier.

Between Creighton, JOC (James O'Connor), Paisami and Stewart they’ve got a few options at 10/12. It’s probably one position they can afford to lose a player for a month.
Good to hear the report on Creighton.
I get all that. I’m not knocking the bloke and I’m not saying it’s a bad choice.

I’m just not sure it’s in his best interests.

Time will tell.
I reckon he will relish in the leadership role making him a better player. No excuses, no baggage, and most of all his background is clean.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And you’re probably right. But I guess you only need to look at the fact that JOC (James O'Connor) is stepping down to realise it does take its toll on a players prep and I just feel McDermott could benefit from an extra year of just focusing on honing his craft.

McDermott could absolutely thrive as captain and he could play out of his skin. But we saw last year he can excel at super level without lifting his passing game to a higher level. Even at test level - I thought he was one of our best v The All Blacks. But he still ended up getting demoted.

Love McDermott and I have no doubt he will rip in because that’s how he plays. But I personally (and I might be completely on my own here) would have preferred Thorn said to him that all he wanted him to do this year was focus 100% on improving his passing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a seperate note - agree it is good to hear Creighton is doing well. 7-8 years ago the Reds seemed to really struggle to help young players reach their potential. Now we seem much better at bringing guys in from the clubs who don’t necessarily have the massive wraps that some on the past got, but turning them into dependable players.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
yeah - Nick Farr-Jones and Peter Slattery really struggled with it....
Gregan and Whittaker also somehow made it work....
That makes no sense - history shows otherwise and effectively play pivotal role as does 10 in guiding the team around in any case..first and foremost you want a player with leadership skills regardless of position but I don’t see how a player who has that would be disadvantaged being captain - if anything I see advantages as per above
wind-up-middle-finger.gif

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Dalgleish won what ? 3 Premierships as Mick Heenan's 10. Con Foley and the Oates bros back in the backline so it seems

Maybe someone drops back to 15 if Mac isn't around much in the QPR , but , I am not sure that Mac will be a staple in the Reds game day 23 - which if he isn’t, he will see time back at QPR

It's an interesting one.
Didn’t realise Dalgleish was back for UQ, if so it gets a bit complicated. No doubt the Reds would like to see Lynagh playing QPR. Mick would want to pick his best team .