• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Did he get extra time because he didn’t get a Red in the game? Which would be fair enough IMO.

Drua would be pretty disappointed it wasn’t picked up. IIRC it was at the time Uru was off so the Reds would’ve been down to 13. Even if that’s wrong it still means the Drua would’ve had at least 20 extra minutes with the Reds having 14.

Given how the game shaped we really dodged a bullet. Which I’m happy to take. I’ve watched plenty of games where I think a few decisions could’ve gone our way, but still feel sorry for the Drua.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks like Isaac Henry is back training. He must be close to being available. Would be good to also have Blyth and/or Jones back soon. And as much as I like Uru, I think he is better utilised in the back row. According to Wiki, he’s only 104kg which is at least 10kg lighter than most second rowers going around. With Wright as the incumbent 6, Uru would have to shift to the bench (if/when Blyth, Jones are back in the mix with all other players remaining as is).

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks like Isaac Henry is back training. He must be close to being available. Would be good to also have Blyth and/or Jones back soon. And as much as I like Uru, I think he is better utilised in the back row. According to Wiki, he’s only 104kg which is at least 10kg lighter than most second rowers going around. With Wright as the incumbent 6, Uru would have to shift to the bench (if/when Blyth, Jones are back in the mix with all other players remaining as is).
Henry available this week if previous posts are correct - but he may be the casualty of the strong backline depth and flexibility we have at the moment. At least until there’s an injury or six

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do we know why? Hopefully only short term?

Would have loved to see how Lynagh went up against Carter Gordon.
Lynagh copped a monster shot to the back/ribs while he was on the ground after his attempted try saver. Didn’t look too comfortable for some time after

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What do you thinks on the cards for the Queensland Reds once super rugby/QPR season ends? Last season there was the challengers series followed by a reds squad trip to Japan.

I assume that won’t happen (or will it) because of World Cup? I have no idea other than Australia & New Zealand rugby competitions and their respective calanders.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With Ballymore just about done, I'm hopeful they'll push for around 5 events at Ballymore looking at a crowd of 5000+ each year in the near future, hopefully building to 10 or more over the next few years if some sort of 3rd tier gets up again.

This year it looks like there are 4 obvious games for that - QPR finals, two challenger series games and the touring Japanese side (though the crowds on some of those might be a few thousand short). The more we get going on Ballymore the easier it will be to justify extra funding for the other stand and prove the value of the site for the Olympic hockey, and the better off we'll be financially.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
With Ballymore just about done, I'm hopeful they'll push for around 5 events at Ballymore looking at a crowd of 5000+ each year in the near future, hopefully building to 10 or more over the next few years if some sort of 3rd tier gets up again.

This year it looks like there are 4 obvious games for that - QPR finals, two challenger series games and the touring Japanese side (though the crowds on some of those might be a few thousand short). The more we get going on Ballymore the easier it will be to justify extra funding for the other stand and prove the value of the site for the Olympic hockey, and the better off we'll be financially.

interesting point, wonder if we could host any other events out at ballymore? Day on the green move from sirromet? I was asking the question in about touring in relation to player development.

4 years ago we had the QPR season wrapping up. The wallabies squad went to Japan the remaining reds players went to NRC.

some of these younger players could do with more rugby after club season concludes so happy will get a touring rugby outfit to keep our cattle battle harden.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
And as much as I like Uru, I think he is better utilised in the back row. According to Wiki, he’s only 104kg which is at least 10kg lighter than most second rowers going around.
Yeah but he's shorter than the average lock around so he's as strong as any of them. The difference is the height and the abilities that a second row need

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah but he's shorter than the average lock around so he's as strong as any of them. The difference is the height and the abilities that a second row need
The biggest issue with an undersized lock, besides the lineout is in the scrum. Uru isn’t exactly small, and has experience scrummaging lock.

As an observer it’s hard to judge the locks scrummaging ability, but it always helps to have a dedicated lock with extra weight in that position.

Reactions: dru

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
The biggest issue with an undersized lock, besides the lineout is in the scrum. Uru isn’t exactly small, and has experience scrummaging lock.

As an observer it’s hard to judge the locks scrummaging ability, but it always helps to have a dedicated lock with extra weight in that position.
That's right. Sometimes you have to pick between a skillful lock like Rob Simmons who jumps like a professional dancer but is light for scrummaging dutties and a big one who can't jump like Will Skelton, who learned how to jump properly in Europe.

The perfect second row would be someone like Brodie Retallick in his prime. Tall, heavy, good scrummager, good jumper, the full package.

I never played at the second row TBH but some experts I know say that the number 5 who supports the THP at the scrum is the most important scrummager after the THP.

In 2015 RWC the Wallabies had 2 different kind of locks. Rob Simmons was the jumper and Kane Douglas was the mongrel

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's right. Sometimes you have to pick between a skillful lock like Rob Simmons who jumps like a professional dancer but is light for scrummaging dutties and a big one who can't jump like Will Skelton, who learned how to jump properly in Europe.

The perfect second row would be someone like Brodie Retallick in his prime. Tall, heavy, good scrummager, good jumper, the full package.

I never played at the second row TBH but some experts I know say that the number 5 who supports the THP at the scrum is the most important scrummager after the THP.

In 2015 RWC the Wallabies had 2 different kind of locks. Rob Simmons was the jumper and Kane Douglas was the mongrel

I agree with the sentiment, I will say Simmons wasn’t exactly light and was considered one of the better scrummaging locks over the years

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good to see Blyth featuring in the Reds latest Instagram post of training, hopefully this means we can expect to see him back this weekend.
And just to update that, Blyth is expected back, Paisami is out for at least a month with a knee injury and Jones is injured, hopping they can avoid surgery so he'll play at some point this year:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On the scrummaging locks a quick note. I'd be lining up the better scrummager behind the tight head prop. Another note, the lighter lock (if there is a palpable difference) is likely to be the better jumper.

Simmons was mush appreciated by the props.