• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
A few of us have said this now.
For all his criticism, Thorn still has coaching ability; he has did well with the Queensland Country team his style resonated with the U20s, it would be an absolute shame to lose him to Australian Rugby given how deficient we are in coaching IP.

Maybe that’s an U20s or academy coaching role. Who knows.
What's Sqwabba doing these days? I thought he and Thorn did a great job nursing through the young talent. Surely Thorns ability to instil grit and determination would do wonders for the Queensland youth?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fantastic news about Lyangh. Good on the guy for being committed. I was never 100% sure that this wasn't a gap year of sorts before going home to the UK. Hope he enjoys the Sunshine State and never leaves.

Reactions: Ged

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting to see Doran reporting that Creighton will be starting this week instead of JOC (James O'Connor).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wonder if the Lawson Creighton 10 selection has anything to do about goal kicking? He looked good in QPR over weekend 6 from 8.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
like a rocket ship up the cheeks
thanks-american.gif

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The accuracy of those subtitles is amazing - it nailed all the Uh's and Ah's, and the new facility goes alright as well.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Also an interesting little note at the end when discussing Thorn's future, saying the Reds are hoping to keep him 'in their coaching system' - but not necessarily as head coach?
Diplomatically transfer him to "Strength and Conditioning Coach" or something.

Delicate operation as you wouldn't want to tell him directly to his face he's basically being sacked.....

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Surely Thorns ability to instil grit and determination would do wonders for the Queensland youth?
Are we really seeing grit and determination though? I would have thought that if you demanded grit and determination you would not have put Vunivalu on the field last week, or having done so, haul him off when he clearly wasn't showing that effort that you demand.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Did Vunivalu come through the Reds academy though?

Excellent point.

You could argue that coming from the Storm system, Vunivalu should have a bit more drive. But as I mentioned when he was first signed by the Reds, Bellamy has seen 100s of players come and go from his team, he has a knack of making sure the good ones stay.

Those who follow the NRL would understand how many players have left the Storm setup and quickly become injury prone/inconsistent/had discipline issues.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok so a short turnaround this week with a trip to Samoa. Means any coaching movements will unlikely happen until the following week (bye week).

So what changes to the team? Blyth gone for sure so Smith starts again. I wonder if Jones is close enough to sit on the bench?

I’d start Lynagh if fit. No idea what to do with Vunivalu. Pity he didn’t have club footy to play last week.

Sef back perhaps? Just bring him in for Zander.

In the end, there’s not many changes we can do that will make a material change. It’s just up to the team to step up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ok so a short turnaround this week with a trip to Samoa. Means any coaching movements will unlikely happen until the following week (bye week).

So what changes to the team? Blyth gone for sure so Smith starts again. I wonder if Jones is close enough to sit on the bench?

I’d start Lynagh if fit. No idea what to do with Vunivalu. Pity he didn’t have club footy to play last week.

Sef back perhaps? Just bring him in for Zander.

In the end, there’s not many changes we can do that will make a material change. It’s just up to the team to step up.
Yeah, the biggest potential changes they could make are Nasser and Jones in, but that requires them to be fit. Maybe Wilson Blyth onto the bench if he's fit too. Probably want to see Jeans on the bench over Thomas, particularly if the rumors he's moving on are true. A bit of a pity given Kalani started the season pretty well, but he's really fallen away.

As far as coaching changes go, I think they'll need to announce the end of Thorn's time soon (probably in the bye week), but I'd still be letting him coach out the season, particularly if he's going to shift into an academy role. I don't see much value in actually changing over before the season is done, particularly if Heenan is up next, give him as much time to prepare and build into the role as possible.