• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs Round 5 - 2016 Super Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Will the Tahs run it all night?

The Reds could play kick tennis all night long, look for a knock on or two take the scrum or attacking lineout and play 10 man rugby. Which would absolutely kill the Tahs. Did I mention possible showers on Sunday?

If they do, they better have a very disciplined chase, the Tahs kick return options are back to quite strong

With Folau, Robinson, Guildford, Beale & Foley rotating through the back ............................... there isn't a unit there who isn't pretty safe at kick receipt.

The bigger question is where Beale playing 12 will defend at on scrums. Last year Horne and Beale swapped in defence, that option isn't there.

If the Reds grew a brain at scrum time they would lock on the Tahs back row by decent pressure and run at where ever Beale is defending. Send one of the three big backline runners they carry followed by support in depth. Beale is unlikely to stop one on one and tie up the ball carrier.

Plan B would be attack Foley on his weakened shoulder, he will go low, but again that provides good support runners the opportunity to punch in behind from the pop pass.

But that depends to whether the Reds want to win the scrum battle or win the game

T

TOCC

But that depends to whether the Reds want to win the scrum battle or win the game

It doesn't have to be one or the other, winning the scrum battle can be/is mutually beneficial to winning the game.

Reds weren't making the best decisions or employing the beat tactics in week 1&2 to capitalise on their scrum dominance and turn that into points, I think that has changed in the past two rounds and will hopefully be evident tomorrow.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
If I were O'Connor, I'd be sending both Kerevi and Nabuli at Beale together. In fact, send them both together at everybody in the backline. McIntyre just needs to give them enough of a chance to get through. They are both extremely powerful runners who haven't been given enough front-foot ball this year, and when the Reds are standing back so deep and flat-footed, even those guys can't make much of an impression because the defence has plenty of time to line up the ball carrier.

Put them both through together, with either one an option as the ball carrier, and IMO you'll see more of what we saw last week when they crashed through the Blues centres. Big, powerful backs rarely get through one-on-one at this level, they need to be hitting the gaps between defenders and causing the missed tackles.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think it's an interesting development that it's quite possible the Tahs replacement front row, with the two Robbo's, could be superior to the run-on front row.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If I were O'Connor, I'd be sending both Kerevi and Nabuli at Beale together. In fact, send them both together at everybody in the backline. McIntyre just needs to give them enough of a chance to get through. They are both extremely powerful runners who haven't been given enough front-foot ball this year, and when the Reds are standing back so deep and flat-footed, even those guys can't make much of an impression because the defence has plenty of time to line up the ball carrier.

Put them both through together, with either one an option as the ball carrier, and IMO you'll see more of what we saw last week when they crashed through the Blues centres. Big, powerful backs rarely get through one-on-one at this level, they need to be hitting the gaps between defenders and causing the missed tackles.

Both had improved running games because they didn't fucking kick the ball.
More of that.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
But for Nabuli in particular he had a better running game because he was roving infield looking for work. Previous games he hardly saw the ball because he was out on the wing and only got the ball when the Reds managed the rare overlap for a break down the sideline. Then he had the opposing winger and fullback coming at him, so he kicked. You can say it was a dumb call but he really didn't have anywhere to run except to try and barge over the top, which is about an equal percentage play as the chip kick.

Get him infield and work with Kerevi more, I reckon. One monster Fijian back is difficult, two of them is a nightmare to deal with. If you're going for sneaky breaks down the wing, might as well put Laloifi on, he's the only one with the speed to make that work IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Ye of little faith, Hawko. Whilst it's difficult to counter your pessimism about the Tahs' prospects at scrum time, we're still looking strong from #8 to #15.

I still took the Tahs in the picking comp. I think they'll get up in a close one; but I am resigned to losing three or four scrum penalties and probably one penalty try in the process.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It doesn't have to be one or the other, winning the scrum battle can be/is mutually beneficial to winning the game.

Reds weren't making the best decisions or employing the beat tactics in week 1&2 to capitalise on their scrum dominance and turn that into points, I think that has changed in the past two rounds and will hopefully be evident tomorrow.

True, but the jokes about Waugh and the 8,000 scrums on the try line highlight the issue, losing the game but winning the scrum battle means f*ck all

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Tahs must be red hot favs for this. Scrums or not.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ $1.35 v $3.30 on SportsBet a moment ago.

Suncorp was full last night for Broncos v Cowboys, anyone game to predict how many will front for this? 10K? Maybe 12K?

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)

Suncorp was full last night for Broncos v Cowboys, anyone game to predict how many will front for this? 10K? Maybe 12K?

Reds vs Tahs - Sunday afternoon game, I'd say 26000.
Easter weekend though - 21000 - which would still be a healthy turnout for the reds!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Lucky to get 20k I reckon.

Party atmosphere at the Broncos compared to funeral atmosphere at Reds matches so floating fans are only going in one direction.

Looks like Storms rolling through tonight so maybe none during match tomorrow

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Well, in that case both teams are from QLD. Given the current status of Reds, 20k would be a good crowd

On the other side, Manly vs Roosters at Allianz Stadium just get 12k

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Drizzling rain at the ground now. Might be heavier than drizzle actually. Could do with that pissing off in the next hour

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No embarrassment at Scrum 1. Short lived though. Scrum 2 was a disgrace. Could be a long day at the office.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Prince of Ballymore (Junior Laloifi) gets a start as Chris F-S has been a late withdrawal.

Status
Not open for further replies.