• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

The Reds will win this game. Im excited to have a geez at the odds. The Bulls will be exhausted, being on the road is tough. How many hotels have they stayed in now? how many times have they packed and re-packed and then moved their luggage? The Reds coming off a heroic victory will have a packed suncorp and the bulls side will not be describe as ageless post match.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Made me wanna check the team line-up, and here it is:

15 Clinton Schifcofske
14 Andrew Walker
13 Ben Tune
12 Quade Cooper
11 Brando Va'aulu
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Nic Berry
8 Tom McVerry
7 David Croft (captain)
6 Mitchell Chapman
5 James Horwill
4 Ed O'Donoghue
3 David Te Moana
2 Stephen Moore
1 Tama Tuirirangi

Reserves:
16 Sean Hardman
17 Herman Hunt
18 Cam Treloar
19 Geoff Abram,
20Will Genia/AJ Gilbert
21 Andrew Brown
22 Peter Hynes

I gotta say, what a bunch of old, washed up, journeymen no-names. No wonder we lost that game by so much.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The Reds will win this game. Im excited to have a geez at the odds. The Bulls will be exhausted, being on the road is tough. How many hotels have they stayed in now? how many times have they packed and re-packed and then moved their luggage? The Reds coming off a heroic victory will have a packed suncorp and the bulls side will not be describe as ageless post match.

Seems like the Reds will be favourites for this game you would think. If this game is won, it will be very interesting to see the odds for the Waratahs game. It will be fairly even I suspect.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have just re-watched last years game. What a cracker: it had everything.

Interesting comment by Marto: the pack had no Wallabies in it at that time. Also: the Bulls had never won at SunCorp.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Not to get too involved with you two having a spat, but as Tah fans we endured a very long time being reminded often about how we failed to beat the Reds time and again, so I know how irritating it is to hear! But these things go in cycles, so I'm sure you'll have opportunity soon enough to remind him and us of that!! And I'm sure there'll be plenty of voices to do so. It is NSW / QLD after all.

Haha I understand. My issue was more to do with the person than the issue. If the Waratahs do win (heaven forbid) then all power to them and level headed supporters such as yourself!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brutes team
Zane Kirchner (46), Gerhard van den Heever (23), Stephan Dippenaar (15), Wynand Olivier (78), Bjorn Basson (16), Morné Steyn (80), Francois Hougaard (20), Pierre Spies (63), Dewald Potgieter (38), Derick Kuün (63), Victor Matfield (116, capt), Bakkies Botha (92), Werner Kruger (49), Chiliboy Ralepelle (26), Dean Greyling (6).
Replacements: Gary Botha (78), Rossouw de Klerk (5), Danie Rossouw (107), Deon Stegmann (46), Fourie du Preez (106), Francois Brummer (3), Akona Ndungane (64).

T

TOCC

You cant deny that this is a very good team, a team with this many quality players doesnt play badly two weeks in a row

Hougaard replaces Fourie du Preez, Van den Heever moves into the vacant wing berth left by Hougaard and Kuün swaps places with Deon Stegmann, who drops to the bench. Stephan Dippenaar replaces Pretorius in midfield. In the front row, Chiliboy Ralepelle starts at hooker ahead of Gary Botha.

Bulls:
15 Zane Kirchner,
14 Gerhard van den Heever,
13 Stephan Dippenaar,
12 Wynand Olivier,
11 Bjorn Basson,
10 Morné Steyn,
9 Francois Hougaard,
8 Pierre Spies,
7 Dewald Potgieter,
6 Derick Kuün,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Bakkies Botha,
3 Werner Kruger,
2 Chiliboy Ralepelle,
1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements:
16 Gary Botha,
17 Rossouw de Klerk,
18 Danie Rossouw,
19 Deon Stegmann,
20 Fourie du Preez,
21 Francois Brummer,
22 Akona Ndungane.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hougaard will give them a bit of a spark from 9. He had plenty of running in him for the boks last year. Hopefully they will fall into the same trap as the Cheetahs, and piss it up on the Gold Coast for the week before the game, but somehow I can't see that happening!

Should be another good game, but to be honest the Bulls have not looked great this year. Hopefully this is not the week for them to snap out of it and turn their season around!

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
13 Stephan Dippenaar,
12 Wynand Olivier,

Well might as well put Higgers in 13, we already know he has the pace on these 2 :p

But seriously, agree this is a banana skin game, the Bulls will be angry after last week and the Reds could easily slip into the form they showed against the force.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
You cant deny that this is a very good team, a team with this many quality players doesnt play badly two weeks in a row

Bulls:
15 Zane Kirchner,
14 Gerhard van den Heever,
13 Stephan Dippenaar,
12 Wynand Olivier,
11 Bjorn Basson,
10 Morné Steyn,
9 Francois Hougaard,
8 Pierre Spies,
7 Dewald Potgieter,
6 Derick Kuün,
5 Victor Matfield,
4 Bakkies Botha,
3 Werner Kruger,
2 Chiliboy Ralepelle,
1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements:
16 Gary Botha,
17 Rossouw de Klerk,
18 Danie Rossouw,
19 Deon Stegmann,
20 Fourie du Preez,
21 Francois Brummer,
22 Akona Ndungane.

At first I was going to dive into a rant about how I can't recognise one name in this Bulls lineup, but then I decided to have a look. In bold are those players I am familiar with - the Bulls have quite a spread of Springboks! I definitely can't see a team of this quality (at least on paper) going down very easily this week.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They're no mugs, the Bulls. I think the Reds will want to be careful not to think too far ahead because in spite of the fact that they haven't been at their best this season the Bulls are still very capable. The Reds lineout will want to function better than last week, for a start. If they display the same ferocity at the breakdown, however, that will go a long way towards winning this game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At first I was going to dive into a rant about how I can't recognise one name in this Bulls lineup, but then I decided to have a look. In bold are those players I am familiar with - the Bulls have quite a spread of Springboks! I definitely can't see a team of this quality (at least on paper) going down very easily this week.

Not sure why you don't the only new face there is Dean Greyling.

O

OLDDOG

personally, I am intruiged to see how link is gonna play this one. I suspect another fierce reds breakdown effort, then run em ragged......

I cant see too many wholesale changes being made from last week, getting the right combo of aggression and speed, whilst rotating an impressive list of performers.

well done link, some very astute personell and positional selections. wonder if we'll get 40,000 plus to suncorp???? I reckon we will, happy days!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think we might see more attack from the reds than we did last week especially on the counter and first phase. Revert to field position if the bulls defense is holding up well.

T

TOCC

Not sure why you don't the only new face there is Dean Greyling.

because 99% of Australian rugby fans don't know/care about South African players considering most of there games are on at 3am in the morning

T

TheTruth

I think we might see more attack from the reds than we did last week especially on the counter and first phase. Revert to field position if the bulls defense is holding up well.

Good call Link, I mean Scotty - actually agree withy you totally

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was planning on going out to the game but looks like it isn't going to work out with other things on. I really hope they get a big crowd at Lang park. If they win then it will be close to a sell out next week against the Tah's.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Love the depth that Link is building. Makes selection very interesting and certainly is a bonus in weeks like this where player fatigue needs to be taken into account. All the players in the squad are outstanding at the moment but i think I go with the following team.

1. Daley
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Wallace Harrison
5. Horwill
6. Samo
7. Robinson
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Davies
15. Harris

16. Shepardson
17. Fainga'a
18. Simmons
19. Houston
20. Gill
21. Lucas
22. Chambers

Tempted to find a place for Van Humphries, so wouldn’t mind if Simmons was rested.

Thought about letting Slipper sit on the bench but couldn’t bring myself to change last weeks front row.

I would reshuffle the backline to bring Ioane into it a bit more. The set up last week worked well against the stormers’ defence but id go back to a more attacking mid field this week. Id move Morahan to wing only because I think he is a better choice on the wing than Harris.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I would have thought Holmes might be back in some capacity. I really do wonder if a few of the forwards need a rest soon. It will be a tough game I know, but rotation to date has shown that they are all up to the task if called upon.

Unless he is the first choice kicker I still think Harris' best position is off the bench.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't want to see Harris at 15 at the moment. I thought Morahan did a good job there last week. Could be tempted to return Chambers to 13 though. His defence wasn't a problem from what I can recall in the first 2 games of the year. This also alows Diggers to get around the field a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.