• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Crusaders beat the Bulls mob without getting out of 1st gear. This has happened to other Super teams but the Bulls haven't played one decent game this year. Even when the beat the Canes by 12 points away from home they were ordinary.

As meatsack mentioned their midfield is ordinary and the replacement of Jaco Pretorius by Stephan Dippenaar won't help at all. The defend well usually but haven't been up to much on attack. Having said that Olivier will probably go on one of his runs against the grain near the Reds goal line and score a try.

They won't lose a lot with Francois Hougaard starting at 9 instead of FdP. He showed last year that he is a man for all seasons and that moving from the wing to scrummie. or vice versa, is not a problem. Young van der Heever will be chomping at the bit to get another start on the wing spot vacated by FH. The lad can play.

I don't think they will lose a lot by starting Chilliboy instead of Gary Botha at hooker, nor by starting Kuün instead of Stegman. They're probably starting Kuün hoping that he will score the type of try he scored last year at SunCorp.

I think the Reds will win by 15 - and maybe more if Harris takes all the goal kicks - but I'm the world's worst tipster.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Bulls look stale to me. The game plan is the same and is limitted now that people know what is coming they defend it easier. Add to that the execution of the game plan has fallen away from the near perfection of 2009, which also saw much the same plan and execution from the Bok forwards. I said then (in 2009) that if just one or two players were off song the plan would fall apart and that is what has happened. Habbana hasn't scored from the chances he has got or played as well, FDP doesn't look 100% to me and Steyn hasn't been kicking with anywhere near the accuracy he was. The thing is the Bulls don't seem to have any Plan B.

Reds to win, but they will of course need to overcome the travel factor and the euphoria and fatigue of last weeks win.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
The Bulls look stale to me. The game plan is the same and is limitted now that people know what is coming they defend it easier. Add to that the execution of the game plan has fallen away from the near perfection of 2009, which also saw much the same plan and execution from the Bok forwards. I said then (in 2009) that if just one or two players were off song the plan would fall apart and that is what has happened. Habbana hasn't scored from the chances he has got or played as well, FDP doesn't look 100% to me and Steyn hasn't been kicking with anywhere near the accuracy he was. The thing is the Bulls don't seem to have any Plan B.

Reds to win, but they will of course need to overcome the travel factor and the euphoria and fatigue of last weeks win.

He plays for Stormers these days Gnostic

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The return from South Africa last year and playing the next weekend didn't bother the Reds last year. Who did they play on their return?

That's right: the Bulls.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I'm curious to understand how they did this so they could constantly replicate things.

From what I've gathered, Link makes the boys train every day of the week when coming back.

Looking at Quade and Kev's twitter feeds you can see the time zone change hasn't impacted them much (Quade says he's feeling great and Kev's back at Uni).

With this in mind, are the young guys able to cope with the lack of sleep/change of sleep patterns compared to the older counter parts? Or is it something based on keeping the body occupied during the days they're back and just making sure they switch right back onto their sleeping patterns?

T

TheTruth

Yeah agree and good teams find their form eventually but REDS to win

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds media department making stupid arrogant statements. Bulls to win it now. Get some money on them by 1-12.

Attachments

• Bulls+Feature.JPG
    Bulls+Feature.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 393

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He plays for Stormers these days Gnostic

Oh thanks for that. Might explain why I haven't seen him score any tries for them this year! ;)

My brain may occassionally fail me but the fact that he isn't there any more actually reinforces my points. Without his kick chase the game plan is failing more than my brain.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds media department making stupid arrogant statements. Bulls to win it now. Get some money on them by 1-12.

I hate the wording but am very very happy that a promotional photo features a scrum! It is about time that the marketing people realised that without forwards the pretty poster boys would not be able to score points.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Brutes coach dont have twitter like the Reds one, Matfield may twit something. Must say that poster will make good reading against the Brutes cloakrooms wall just before kick off.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh thanks for that. Might explain why I haven't seen him score any tries for them this year! ;)

My brain may occassionally fail me but the fact that he isn't there any more actually reinforces my points. Without his kick chase the game plan is failing more than my brain.
Dont be so sure about that, Basson and vd Heever is not your average type of chasers. The Brutes will have to front up in the forwards, thats where they have to dominate to win this one and I wont be that surprise to see the Reds falling in the arrogant trap this weekend. Reddy set the tone.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I've got to say that I don't think the Reds will fall into any form of arrogance. The Bulls are the Bulls, an absolute champion team who have done it all; all the players know this. And if they DID happen to forget, Link won't waste any time in reminding them of this.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Reds beat the Stormers last week because they were highly motivated and played with a lot of passion for 80 minutes specially their fatties. They can lost that pretty easily this week, it happen when you achieved what they did on saturday. The Brutes however were floored by the Saders and will go in this one hopefull with the Reds attetude of last week.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Dont be so sure about that, Basson and vd Heever is not your average type of chasers. The Brutes will have to front up in the forwards, thats where they have to dominate to win this one and I wont be that surprise to see the Reds falling in the arrogant trap this weekend. Reddy set the tone.

Come on Paarl you have to admit their execution has been off for quite a while, and it seems to be falling further IMO.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Come on Paarl you have to admit their execution has been off for quite a while, and it seems to be falling further IMO.
Ja maybe I should make it Reds by 60 then? Watch out for these Brutes. Their big names need motivation to get them back in fifth gear, look like the Reds just may provide it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ja maybe I should make it Reds by 60 then? Watch out for these Brutes. Their big names need motivation to get them back in fifth gear, look like the Reds just may provide it.

I didn't mean to imply that Paarl. I mean that the 2009 Bulls were a much more dangerous opponent. They executed much better and few would have given the Reds a chance against them they executed so well. Now they are not looking like that team and most expect the opposite and think the Reds will win.

I think the Reds will win and it will be a slog but in the end I don't think the Bulls can execute their limitted game like they did in the past, so it is really the Reds game to lose.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't want the Bulls champion players to come out of their slumber until the RWC semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.