• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Returns from injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's nothing more I hate than people thinking players are destined for the bench because they're impact players. What a joke.

TPN gives us more in the scrum, if he's fit he should start.

Moore gives us more in the lineout...

There is nothing separating these two players except for TPN's inability to stay on the field.

As Groucho mentioned earlier, let him go crazy in the last 20mins of the game.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
OK, here is another angle, what if he breaks, due to the nature of his play, ten minutes into his twenty minute cameo? Moore has already been subbed.

If it was in the first ten minutes of the game, you have an 80 minute player ready to go.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
And I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, it is a strategical move, so perhaps it is different against a AB/SA/ENG team than a lesser quality team.

Much better we have these two to talk about than who the hell do we pick discussions

M

Muttonbird

Injured All Blacks set for return

NewstalkZB July 27, 2011, 10:52 am

A couple of All Blacks will make long-awaited returns to the playing field in the next week.

Utility back Isaia Toeava and veteran prop Tony Woodcock are down to turn-out for their provinces in the ITM Cup ahead of the away leg of the All Blacks' Tri-Nations campaign.

All Blacks assistant coach Steve Hansen says Woodcock will play for North Harbour next Tuesday.

Hansen says if Woodcock comes through games for Harbour they'll then take him to South Africa.

Hansen says Toeava is scheduled to play 40 minutes for Auckland on Sunday, while Israel Dagg is still another week away from returning.

Meanwhile, Hansen has made it clear All Blacks captain Richie McCaw will start in the seven jersey in Saturday night's Tri-Nations test against the Springboks.

With all the cautionary comments around All Black rugby at the moment, this is some welcome news.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Says who? Don't have stats but I do not remember TPN's lineout throwing this year to be a bad at all. In fact it was very good. Moore had his odd not straights too you know.

Moore gives us more in the lineout as TPN gives us more in the scrum...

However it's both very very marginal...

Point being it's silly to say that TPN should be picked because he's better in the scrum, or that Moore should be picked because he's better at the lineout...

Because both are only very marginally better than the other in those set pieces...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly, in which case it's a riskier move to have TPN start a match with his track record of not lasting the half...

At least if he comes on in the second half Moore can come back refreshed...

R

Rev Spooner

At this stage I would have Moore start as he was dynamic last week - he's a QLDer and Polota Nau is injury prone.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And again we are talking about picking players on the bench just to cover injuries.

If Tatafu is the best hooker you pick him, simple. Best players start, the next best on the bench.

And I think it's debatable who is better.

I think they're fairly equal, but with TPN's fitness issues you gotta go with Moore.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think they're equal, mainly because of the differing styles of play. Moore is plays very tight, a more traditional style of forward play. TPN is a blockbuster; the big plays he makes are more valuable to the side than Moore's grinding style play.

It's a little bit like Palu vs Elsom; Elsom doesn't have Palu's ability to plough his way through a defensive line.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd start with TPN & Finish with Moore plus hookers can comeback on if the other is injured.

Either way I wouldn't be bothered who started & who didn't I just want them both fit & firing ASAP.

Reactions: DPK

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
It's a little bit like Palu vs Elsom; Elsom doesn't have Palu's ability to plough his way through a defensive line.

Not sure Palu has the ability to plough his way through defenses any more either, given how much game time he's missed this year. Cliffy needs time on the park but seems to be picking up plenty of injuries these days. I definately agree re TPN. Use him for his bash and barge till he's rooted and we're ahead by 20 then put Moore on to tighten it all up. That way I can enjoy a rum with less anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.