• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"
My hunch is that Richie's star will burn out quickly when it happens, much like Fitzpatrick's. His performances on the field don't yet show it but he walks like an old Rugby soldier already.The knees will go and he's smart enough to pull the pin IMO.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Frankly Biggsy if that is your opinion it is not one shared by the majority. Judging by your 2 comments here your knowledge of the laws of the game, particularly the breakdown must be lacking.

Frankly Top Bloke, I Despise the bloke as a player.I think your a little precious. And he has own set of rules at the breakdown.
We will see on Sat night.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
My hunch is that Richie's star will burn out quickly when it happens, much like Fitzpatrick's. His performances on the field don't yet show it but he walks like an old Rugby soldier already.The knees will go and he's smart enough to pull the pin IMO.

Well, TBH, I hope so. I think it's possible he'll end up like Smit, but really he deserves a good deal.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pure genius. We've been lucky to see the likes of Michael Jones, Smith and McCaw in the same lifetime. Each of them have evolved the role of a 7. I'm not prepared to choose one over any of the others and I don't think anyone who says it's a clearcut decision is being objective.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I think that his super 14 this year hasn't been of his usual standard. But as a captain, I don't think that there are many better. He works the ref well and keeps his side motivated. Even if his status as a 7 declines, I think you'd be hard put to find a better captain for the AB.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Smith left at his peak knowing that Pocock was waiting in the wings. Must have felt pretty good knowing you were leaving at just the right time and handing off your jersey to just the right bloke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It is possible that 2011 might be a bridge too far for McCaw. As an Aussie fan, I hope so! He'll be 31 by then and playing openside is very physically punishing. His performances still make him the best in the business, but you just never know. I would expect that he'll spend a lot of time sitting on the bench at S15 games next year to keep him fresh.

One thing that staggers me, however, is the fact there is *no* backup for RM at all. Nobody is even on the same continent in NZ at open side. They'd wanna hope that he doesn't get injured, or they could be in some serious strife. Same goes for Carter, though they are a little better placed for 5/8's over there.

M

Muttonbird

Well, TBH, I hope so. I think it's possible he'll end up like Smit, but really he deserves a good deal.
I don't buy the Smit-being-finished thing. He's a talisman player for them and knows when to peak (not now!) - something the AB's struggle with.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
He is the biggest cheat in the game, everyone knows that - except the referees it seems. But what makes a genius cheat is one that can get away with it ;)

H

Hartman

Head to head stats as of 2007 here:

http://www.statrugby.com/NewsArticle.aspx?na=79

They don't really back up your statement I think you'll find. And McCaw is still playing - where's George?

All this really suggests is that McCaw has played for more successful teams than Smith, which is true. The only player stat compared is tries scored, and the role of the openside flanker has barely anything to do with tries being scored.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It is possible that 2011 might be a bridge too far for McCaw.

One thing that staggers me, however, is the fact there is *no* backup for RM at all. Nobody is even on the same continent in NZ at open side.
They'd wanna hope that he doesn't get injured, or they could be in some serious strife.

Same goes for Carter, though they are a little better placed for 5/8's over there.

Well, there is backup for McCaw but going on Super14 form you'd have to say that the closest is Daniel Braid who is no spring chicken himself, but was in top form for the Reds.

As for the others from memory: Lowe, Latimer, G. Whitelock and the Highlanders guy, there is not a lot of quality - though I rate Whitelock as an up an comer. Braid's younger brother Luke may make the grade sometime but it's too early to tell.

There will definitely be a gap if Richie is hurt and your idea about resting McCaw a lot in the S15 is a good one. If he stays healthy I would bet good money on him making it across that bridge some folks may think fondly is too far.

Disagree about Kiwi depth at flyhalf: it isn't all that great either. I applaud the Cartel for giving young Cruden a run this year. They did it because there is nobody else of stature and they want to build up his experience for 2011.

Donald is a 12 that can play 10 and you can see the result sometimes when he plays 1st 5, Brett always promises a lot and plays some good games but fails too often in big matches, Slade is too versatile and too fast to be used regularly in his favoured position, Ripia is decent but has lost his Hurricanes spot to Cruden, and the others are dross.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we are in broad agreement, Lee. The backup for McCaw is very threadbare. Braid, as good as he was for the Reds this year, isn't anywhere near as good as RM, nor Pocock IMHO. The others are well below Braid.

I only said they are a little better off at 5/8 :) Donald would be the obvious choice, but I wouldn't want to put the house on his ability in a crunch game.

M

Muttonbird

All this really suggests is that McCaw has played for more successful teams than Smith, which is true. The only player stat compared is tries scored, and the role of the openside flanker has barely anything to do with tries being scored.
True, but head-to-head stats have slightly more traction than just saying "McCaw's better that Smith" or vice versa, however minimal.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is no surprise that two of the best players over the last decade can not be easily replaced and that their backups are 'not in the same continent'.

The same goes for our world class players - Robinson, Genia, Pocock etc.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It is no surprise that two of the best players over the last decade can not be easily replaced and that their backups are 'not in the same continent'.

The same goes for our world class players - Robinson, Genia, Pocock etc.

Don't totally agree there. George Smith fought a constant battle with Phil Waugh for the openside position. Heck, Waugh could easily have been picked over Pocock this season. Genia is the stand out half back, absolutely, no argument. The props I'm not so sure about. Robinson has been outstanding, but the scrum is as much about combinations as anything. Put TPN, Robinson and Alexander together and we have a potentially world beating front row.

The point I'm making is that in the case of the two most important players that the All Blacks squad have very little backup of anything approaching the same quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.