• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fuck, you must really have a thing for McCheat if it's taken this long to actually goad a post out of you.

Just the 81 characters though, wouldn't want to overdo it

? Took babelfish 3 years to translate it?? :)
By the way, welcome Dion, good to see you here mate.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
A quote from the article by Sean Fitzpatrick (another fucking cheat) referenced above

It is a fact of life that successful on-pitch captaincy means being able to develop a rapport with the man with the whistle, so you can confirm interpretations, clarify decisions and, inevitably, try to get the best deal for your team.

I recognised it as a core responsibility when I was captain and I worked hard to be visible, respectful and enquiring towards the ref. It might have annoyed the opposition every once in a while but, then again, they're the opposition, so no real harm done.

I see the same approach from McCaw. These days, players and referees know each other better than ever - with a small pool of top flight officials and up to 15 internationals a year, they bump into each other much more regularly than in my day, but the same principles apply.

You have to get noticed and make refs warm to you, because if you do, you can talk to them throughout the game, pointing out specific elements you'd like them to look at, or highlighting issues they haven't clocked.

It also means that when a difficult split-second decision has to be made, the referee might give you the benefit of the doubt - as I suspect happened last weekend, where McCaw survived a potential yellow card incident.

On that evidence, Richie would certainly seem to be learning the art of playing referees. Because of his position, he has to live right on the edge of the boundaries set by the laws. In that game, I saw him play some of his best rugby.

This is exactly why Gregan was a fucked choice as a captain with his attitude.

Rocky having been noticed up north is a good start with the northern refs. Hope he can build on it.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
That's why we're the force for good that wears gold, while the Kiwis wear...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
? Took babelfish 3 years to translate it?? :)
By the way, welcome Dion, good to see you here mate.
Hey Boet, dont go to the Babel Vis one again.

I share Dions view 100%, McAwe aint a cheat, the refs are.

You Aussie lot are just jealous you dont have Smith anymore. He did the same thing for years and PoCock and Brown do the same thing. They just need to get more experiense.

Vokken Cheaters.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The bar is high for NZ Flyhalf. Grant Fox to Andrew Mertens to Dan Carter. Fuck me, how is the next bloke going to stand a chance.

The young #10, Tyler Blyendall, from the NZ U20's at the Junior World Cup in Argentina looked to have the goods. Be very interesting to see where he is in the next few years. If the Kiwis don't want him, I am sure that we could easily find a job for him over here.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hey Boet, dont go to the Babel Vis one again.

I share Dions view 100%, McAwe aint a cheat, the refs are.

You Aussie lot are just jealous you dont have Smith anymore. He did the same thing for years and PoCock and Brown do the same thing. They just need to get more experiense.

Vokken Cheaters.

Sorry Paarl, I'll put the babelfish away!
By the way, most of us lot actually don't seem to think he's the problem...and I agree the refs are a bigger one.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Pocock does exactly the same stuff as McCaw (anyone see the match against the Boks?), and produces the same success, no one here will be calling him a cheat. It is down to the refs to enforce the laws consistently, and (here comes the painful bit) if they do that I'm afraid that McCaw will still be a top notch player.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
This is exactly why Gregan was a fucked choice as a captain with his attitude.

Is that a joke? Gregan has got to be one of the best non-QLD Wallaby captains of the last 20 years. No mean feat when you consider QLD produce better quality players.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Is that a joke? Gregan has got to be one of the best non-QLD Wallaby captains of the last 20 years. No mean feat when you consider QLD produce better quality players.

Then you would be comparing him with only four others from memory - Farr-Jones (personally would prefer him as halfback and captain to Gregan), Kearns - he didn't play too many tests as captain from memory, Mortlock (very eloquent and led from the front but didn't win many big games as captain), Smith (reluctant captain) and Elsom, though he is counted as a Queenslander by some on here as he went to school up there.

D

daz

That's why we're the force for good that wears gold, while the Kiwis wear...

Hang on. I know the answer to this one. Umm, tattoos? Body odour? The warm embrace of a weekly welfare cheque? Ugg boots? Come on, am I close...?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The young #10, Tyler Blyendall, from the NZ U20's at the Junior World Cup in Argentina looked to have the goods. Be very interesting to see where he is in the next few years. If the Kiwis don't want him, I am sure that we could easily find a job for him over here.

Agreed, he looked the absolute goods and as a few posters remarked, Larkham-esque. Beats me how he didn't make the 2007 schoolboys side. Not to the point but can NZ posters tell us the whereabouts of the NZ Schools 10. that year? I believe it was Frano Botica's son.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
McCaw is both, when he plays the Boks he is a genius,however for some reason when he plays against the wobblies or tahs he resorts to cheating.Happens every time!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I've posted something on this topic on the front page. It's awesome.

Are u Clive Woodward??

Well done on all the effort, kudos to you for doing it. I have neither the time or inclination to come up with a response and full analysis of wobs and pocock at the breakdown, but am sure u were 100% clean. either way, part of the game and always has been.

But good work anyway, now where is that whose the biggest whiners argument again... :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Are u Clive Woodward??

Well done on all the effort, kudos to you for doing it. I have neither the time or inclination to come up with a response and full analysis of wobs and pocock at the breakdown, but am sure u were 100% clean. either way, part of the game and always has been.

But good work anyway, now where is that whose the biggest whiners argument again... :)

Scarfy has a slightly different BMI and hairstyle to Lord Bald.
And MR, at least Scarf has composed a cogent argument to the whole issue, rather than the "He's a farkin' cheat, just 'cos...". Why is it whining to actually analyse an aspect of a game to make a point?

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Hence the smiley cyclo.... It is a good analysis proving points, although rather one sided... Should also point out that in this game almost all agreed abs got rub of the green so it hardly proves a long term point.

Status
Not open for further replies.