• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richie McCaw Cheat or genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
He is a cheat. But a very good one at that. He is a genius in the way that he cheats. The cheaters gold standard. He also has the Gregan skill of manipulating the refs.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
It is possible that 2011 might be a bridge too far for McCaw. As an Aussie fan, I hope so! He'll be 31 by then and playing openside is very physically punishing. His performances still make him the best in the business, but you just never know. I would expect that he'll spend a lot of time sitting on the bench at S15 games next year to keep him fresh.

One thing that staggers me, however, is the fact there is *no* backup for RM at all. Nobody is even on the same continent in NZ at open side. They'd wanna hope that he doesn't get injured, or they could be in some serious strife. Same goes for Carter, though they are a little better placed for 5/8's over there.
Actually his bday is 31/12/1980. I expect he'll be an 8 when he starts to wind down.

We have no one who is near McCaw - but then, [robbiespeak] no-one has more than one of him and very few even have one. [/robbiespeak]

We have Carter and then daylight. It's only been obvious for about 3 years though. We're lucky to have the only one of him.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bar is high for NZ Flyhalf. Grant Fox to Andrew Mertens to Dan Carter. Fuck me, how is the next bloke going to stand a chance.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
The bar is high for NZ Flyhalf. Grant Fox to Andrew Mertens to Dan Carter. Fuck me, how is the next bloke going to stand a chance.
Same at the bloke who wore 5 after Meads vacated the spot - or 7 after M Jones... Or 8 after Zinzan Brooke... Or 2 after Fitzy... 10 after Fox, after Mehrts, after Carter... shit there would be a massive list for any jersey number really.

Adidas did a marketing barf a while back saying "the legacy is more intimidating than the opposition". Hated seeing it in mags etc but it's probably kinda true.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Actually his bday is 31/12/1980. I expect he'll be an 8 when he starts to wind down.

We have no one who is near McCaw - but then, [robbiespeak] no-one has more than one of him and very few even have one. [/robbiespeak]

We have Carter and then daylight. It's only been obvious for about 3 years though. We're lucky to have the only one of him.

Smartarse ;)

With the lack of backup behind Carter and McCaw, it just highlights that if the AB's are vulnerable, it's in those two positions. Whenever they have been injured, which I'll bet many NZ'ers reckon is thankfully very seldom, the team has really suffered.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Same at the bloke who wore 5 after Meads vacated the spot - or 7 after M Jones... Or 8 after Zinzan Brooke... Or 2 after Fitzy... 10 after Fox, after Mehrts, after Carter... shit there would be a massive list for any jersey number really.

Adidas did a marketing barf a while back saying "the legacy is more intimidating than the opposition". Hated seeing it in mags etc but it's probably kinda true.

That kind of makes my point though. For as long as I've been watching the game, the AB's have had excellent players in several key positions: prop (lh), hooker, lock (in the enforcer role), openside, halfback, 5/8, and outside centre. And just as importantly, there has been the seemingly endless production line.

At openside: Jones --> Kronfeld --> McCaw
At 5/8: Fox --> Mehrtens --> Carter

At the above positions, who do we think will take up the mantle?

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
That kind of makes my point though. For as long as I've been watching the game, the AB's have had excellent players in several key positions: prop (lh), hooker, lock (in the enforcer role), openside, halfback, 5/8, and outside centre. And just as importantly, there has been the seemingly endless production line.

At openside: Jones --> Kronfeld --> McCaw
At 5/8: Fox --> Mehrtens --> Carter

At the above positions, who do we think will take up the mantle?

Could be G Whitelock (his nickname is Backpack over on the other site) but he's learning still. Could be someone yet to pop up from the U19's or Baby Blacks. Could be a gap for a few years. Look at our halfback spot, hasn't been a clear #1 for frigging ages - Marshall maybe but he was such a cock.

That's the lucky thing with NZ, the guys always seem to turn up at the right time - and to some extent there's no point in having a back-up to McCaw because he's a) Skipper and b) so good he hardly ever subs off.
Carter might be followed by Cruden, maybe it'll be Slade of Canterbury, or again some new kid that just pops up.

Not much use am I!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Yep, that is What makes you mob the best in the world and cosistantly. I did not mention Carlos because I think he is a Dingo.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
McCaw has evolved his game over the past 2-3 years. Remember the kid made the ABs 9 years ago, with a bewildered Kronfeld saying "who". He is a far more rounded player. His defensive work in the tackle is still world class. At test level he is a machine at the tackle. He still competes for and slows ball down as good as anyone around. Wins turnovers. But for me the best thing has been his leadership on the field in attack. He carries the ball so much more these days and doesn't have the feet for hand issues he had 6-7 years ago. He makes good yards now because he has improved his body position.

I don't get too hysterical when it comes to rating players like others do. Each to their own I guess. But he is a superb rugby player, that demonstrates tremendous effort in trying to get better. His value to the current ABs and the way they play is very important as the cartel in particular have built their attack and defence around him. He's not showy or one to want the limelight or thinks he is anymore important than his team mates, but he is front and centre of the ABs and it's no surprise that he is targetted by the media and opposition fans. Comes with the territory I guess.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No argument whatsoever from me about the blokes quality on and off the paddock. He's in the "magnificent bastard" category in my book.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Could be G Whitelock (his nickname is Backpack over on the other site) but he's learning still. Could be someone yet to pop up from the U19's or Baby Blacks. Could be a gap for a few years. Look at our halfback spot, hasn't been a clear #1 for frigging ages - Marshall maybe but he was such a cock.

That's the lucky thing with NZ, the guys always seem to turn up at the right time - and to some extent there's no point in having a back-up to McCaw because he's a) Skipper and b) so good he hardly ever subs off.
Carter might be followed by Cruden, maybe it'll be Slade of Canterbury, or again some new kid that just pops up.

Not much use am I!

We've had some "horror moments" though.

Taine Randell playing out of position at 7 for an extended period....

Carlos was an effective 1st 5 at test level. Tony Brown was okay, but not close to world class.

And there's been stop gaps along the way also.

It's hard to say "who's next" because any number of things could happen to one's career. I'm sure there are guys who pinch themselves thinking about how many caps they've got, and others wondering what could have been or asking "isn't it my time".

Injuries, lack of Super game time etc. Slade has a ways to go, so does Cruden. I like Delany's game and composure. Agree with Lee that Donald is more 2nd 5 than 1st. Bleyandaal could surprise, but I thought Hamish Gard was going push on to higher honors but wasn't meant to be I guess.

As for the openside, I still hold high hopes for Thompson and Messam developing their games to a consistent level. Whitelock has improving, Latimer is test level IMO but doesn't possess the allround game just yet. Braid is a great link man and Henry knows he can do a job if needed, but is no answer for the future. The one player I really like at 7 is Soakai. A genuine fast openside. But he would have to improve in ball carying and improve his allround game.

I guess it gets back to the Richie argument, that he has improved and improved and rounded his game at the top level and for many years been a consistent performer at Super level which has made him the great player he is.

Glad he's on my time :cool:

D

Dion

Ritchie McCaw is no cheat. He gets away with what he is allowed to get away with.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Welcome Dion - I remember you from waaay back. I agree with you, and the fact is that refs get bliinded by his brilliance and start to assume that he must not be breaking the laws. But he is, you know.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
In fact, Dion, you joined almost 3 years ago: one of the first on The Yellow Scarf. Long time listener, first time caller, eh?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fuck, you must really have a thing for McCheat if it's taken this long to actually goad a post out of you.

Just the 81 characters though, wouldn't want to overdo it

Status
Not open for further replies.