• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 18 - Reds Vs Rebels - Jul 6, 7.45PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone mark this in history it could be the first and only time that Shiggins says "I feel sorry for the ref."

Defiantly a typo.

By my reckoning Rebs will drop out of the eight if Shawks put the Stormers away overnight. Hard to see them getting back in if that happens as they're in Dunners next week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No offence Reds fans but if we can't beat Reds we don't deserve to make finals.

I was shattered last week, think I am more shattered tonight.

Vent / rant over.
Exact thing we were saying at game Scooter was extra happy with result because by christ there is no way Rebels deserve to be near finals! You know was obviously pleased with Reds win, but they didn't real play well, or do anything, and I would add their defence was shocking at times, so if rebels can't beat that ..........

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
That front row worries me against the Reds, Faulkner and Ainsley have proven to be the weakest combination at prop for the Rebels all year.

Sa'aga and Talakai will give the Reds reserves a hard time tho.

Apart from that, the team is fairly good and a clear leap in quality between the backs. Reds pack has the upper hand tho.
My post from the other day, unfortunately came to fruition. Both props unfortunately aren’t super rugby level scrummagers but decent around the park. Neither should come close atm to the Aus squad, although Ainsley is still a young guy and Faulkner could definitely play a role against teams without dominant scrums. Next season surely Sa’aga, Uelese and Talakai will be the preferred.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Exact thing we were saying at game Scooter was extra happy with result because by christ there is no way Rebels deserve to be near finals! You know was obviously pleased with Reds win, but they didn't real play well, or do anything, and I would add their defence was shocking at times, so if rebels can't beat that ....
I dunno man, the Rebels looked the better team by far, calamitous scrum aside. They left 14-21 points out there. But i guess not being able to finish easy try scoring opportunities is damning in itself.

Edit: And this is why i'm still on the fence about Maddocks. He fucks up as much as he excels. Clearly talented but charge down try and then overruns a 9/10 chance. Any other team and he gets the drop after that performance.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I dunno man, the Rebels looked the better team by far, calamitous scrum aside. They left 14-21 points out there. But i guess not being able to finish easy try scoring opportunities is damning in itself.

Edit: And this is why i'm still on the fence about Maddocks. He fucks up as much as he excels. Clearly talented but charge down try and then overruns a 9/10 chance. Any other team and he gets the drop after that performance.
I thought Maddocks was good. The bombed try was more a shocking pass than bad run, admittedly he didn’t help the situation but a simple flat pass would see the Rebs in the corner. The charged down kick was a combo of several 1%. Firstly Ruru passed it to a player without blockers in front of him, a massive no no, he was sitting on a side without a single rebels player. Then the rebels forwards (and a massive problem with aus rugby) didn’t form pillar/post around the ruck on a clear and obvious clearance situation, they should also be forming blockers in the defensive line. Then lastly Maddocks didn’t sum the situation up and proceeded to kick no matter what.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^
If he had of been looking anywhere but at the ground he would have seen it coming. Yeah he was in a bad position, so he should have held it. Decision making is critical.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought Maddocks was good. The bombed try was more a shocking pass than bad run, admittedly he didn’t help the situation but a simple flat pass would see the Rebs in the corner. The charged down kick was a combo of several 1%. Firstly Ruru passed it to a player without blockers in front of him, a massive no no, he was sitting on a side without a single rebels player. Then the rebels forwards (and a massive problem with aus rugby) didn’t form pillar/post around the ruck on a clear and obvious clearance situation, they should also be forming blockers in the defensive line. Then lastly Maddocks didn’t sum the situation up and proceeded to kick no matter what.
I thought he did more good than bad. He's a long term Wallaby IMO, but needs to work on his decision making and defence under pressure before he's ready for the Blecks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought he did more good than bad. He's a long term Wallaby IMO, but needs to work on his decision making and defence under pressure before he's ready for the Blecks

Given the bad was beyond awful, I think this comment is hard to support. Maybe three good and two bad. But the two bad cost 14 points. Did the three good gain 14 points? No, I thought not.

He's been touted as a long-term 10, but any NZ U-20 flyhalf has already had slow clearances trained out of him before he gets anywhere near Super Rugby. Slow learner is all I can say!

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the bad was beyond awful, I think this comment is hard to support. Maybe three good and two bad. But the two bad cost 14 points. Did the three good gain 14 points? No, I thought not.

He's been touted as a long-term 10, but any NZ U-20 flyhalf has already had slow clearances trained out of him before he gets anywhere near Super Rugby. Slow learner is all I can say!
His solo try must be worth 7, and with his contribution to the Cotterall try he went close. I've watched him coming through and he's always been a full back bar filling in at 10 when NSW had a 10 injury crises. In my opinion he didn't look comfortable as a playmaker If he is ever going to learn to be a 10, then perhaps he needs to get picked there, not on the wing or fullback

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The only reason I can see behind pushing Maddocks to 10 (and Hodge for that matter) is that the cupboard is near and we are hoping to come up with a solution from the resources we have available.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
My post from the other day, unfortunately came to fruition. Both props unfortunately aren’t super rugby level scrummagers but decent around the park. Neither should come close atm to the Aus squad, although Ainsley is still a young guy and Faulkner could definitely play a role against teams without dominant scrums. Next season surely Sa’aga, Uelese and Talakai will be the preferred.

It was really bad wasn’t it.

Not only was Faulkner and Ainsley under immense pressure, now rugby followers will understand Rangi’s omission during the test window period. Struggled at set piece. Talakai will surely be preferred over Ainsley and Sa’aga is really pushing Faulkner however it was his first game back from injury.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was really bad wasn’t it.

Not only was Faulkner and Ainsley under immense pressure, now rugby followers will understand Rangi’s omission during the test window period. Struggled at set piece. Talakai will surely be preferred over Ainsley and Sa’aga is really pushing Faulkner however it was his first game back from injury.

Yeh it was, the only other scrum i remember getting absolutely mashed up like that this season was the Tahs when they didn't have Kepu against the Stormers i believe

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
His solo try must be worth 7, and with his contribution to the Cotterall try he went close. I've watched him coming through and he's always been a full back bar filling in at 10 when NSW had a 10 injury crises. In my opinion he didn't look comfortable as a playmaker If he is ever going to learn to be a 10, then perhaps he needs to get picked there, not on the wing or fullback

Stewart has more promise as a 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.