• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Force vs Reds, NIB Stadium, 2nd March @ 6:30pm (AWST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
A4E341C4-02FA-4C4E-B099-70A239C4B85D_zpsuxggdj8t.jpg

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sometimes I see Adamson and other Scottish refs do some silly things, and think yeah, that's why they don't regularly get high profile Pro12 games or European games or even low profile Internationals.

Then games like this happen in "the best" provincial league in the world. And refs like Clancy get regular, high profile Internationals.

And I have to just think that there's serious nepotism going on somewhere in the chain.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So harsh on Fa'agase, pinged twice for tackles that weren't really high, gets scared and goes low with the arms up and gets binned. Outrageously bad refereeing.

This is a net positive for Aus rugby though I think. The Force needs wins early more than the Reds do in the grandest scheme of things

He overcompensated. The penalty was fair and if he hadn't benn pinned earlier he may have stayed on the pitch.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Well, based on that performance, and last week's, I really doubt the Reds are going to be making the finals this season.

We might win two or three of our games against the other Aussie teams, and we should beat the Jaguars and Kings, but we don't have a snowflakes at beating any of the kiwi sides, and I think we'll struggle to beat the Lions in Jo'burg.

Would love to be proven wrong but I just don't think the team is there yet.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am hitting the turps bigtime for about 5 hours prior to kick off for the Crusaders match. If that's the quality of rugby the Reds are serving up in 2017, I'd prefer to have limited memories of.it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Hard to judge in those conditions, they looked every bit as bad as the Force vs Waratahs last week, but I agree it doesn't look good for the Reds. The handling was dire but beyond that the lineout was woeful and they didn't adapt to the conditions.

The Crusaders are going to murder us next week unless they play smarter than that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Normally I support crack downs aimed at protecting player welfare, but it really seems to me we are asking the impossible if tacklers. Players will continually drop their shoulders and head going into contact which gives virtually no target zone from in front.

The yellow card on Fa'agesse was correct, but it's virtually impossible to get your arm up when an attacker drops his shoulders on top of you like that. Unlike TPNs cannonball tackles, Fa'agesse actually appeared to just be setting himself for a standard low tackle.

The problem I have with the two lead in penalities - which were also correct by the laws and no doubt contributed to the yellow - is that the same sort of contact happens in 20 or more other tackles/breakdowns in the game and are let go. There were numerous others in that game which attracted nothing.

Playing to the ref shouldn't be a lottery. In particular, I just don't think it is fair to put all of the emphasis on the tackler to be accurate, whilst giving the attacker free range to 'generate' a penalty - which is what is happening at present.

So far I feel the 'crack down' on high shots is a failure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If and when he holds onto the ball in contact. Really like the look of Peni. Big, quick and looks for work. Cannot ask for much more from a winger.

Did you happen to notice there were 1000 dropped balls in that game. From pretty much everyone. I wouldnt be criticising anyone's ball handling from that.

Meakes was still the most influential centre in the game and came up with enough clutch plays to show he has substance.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good result and important result for Force with lot of changes in their roster.

I think there backline has the 'potential' by the end of the season to be the best backline amongst Oz conference sides by seasons end.

Peni was just superb with ball in hand, pace, acceleration and ability to come off the wing and make tackles and look for work.

Meakes is great ball distributer in the midfield.

Rona equally offers a lot in attack and defence but like to see him take more balls into the tackle and set up for next phase on some of his breaks as he too often pushes passes on the break which would be better to set up for next phase of attack. He will learn.

And then of course you have DHP, Monahan, and Lance (All who have wallaby caps - ok not Lance but nearly did being on the bench at least)

Lourens also in great form for first two games. Interesting that Robbie Coleman at this stage not even made the bench.....as he is not a bad player which says a lot about pedigree of Force backs this year.

Ok not mentioned forwards but will say that positives there too as thought Matt Philips had very good game.....whilst the bench and Cowan and Faulkner to my mind made huge difference...whilst Nasarani also did some good work when coming off the bench. Plus with Tessman leaving the field and having player of TPN come on to replace him is pretty good position to be in. Feel for Harry Scoble as thought he played well last year and unfortunately with recruitment of TPN fallen to third on pecking order.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Biggest issue I saw was decision making. Conditions were shit - but the Reds tried to run the ball too much and box kicked too deep. And we kept throwing to the same spot in the lineout even though I think the Force stole the ball pretty much every time we went there. Higgers is one of the best 2 jumpers going around. In a game where we didn't need to be launching attacks of our lineout last we should have gone there and box kicked with a good chase.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's amazing what adding a couple of players with genuine talent can do for a teams confidence. The Force feel like a different team this year.

Feel sorry for Fagase. The first one was poor technique. But the next two perfectly sum up the dilemma faced by tacklers these days. These rules have the danger of creating a big bat/flat wicket problem like what faces cricket these days. We will end up giving too much advantage to the ball carrier to the detriment of the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.