• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7 Reds v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium 2/4 @ 6:45pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Regarding the other bloke - Henry - I would also like to see him get some more game time but Stewart is too established and has good combinations with other members of the backline.

Campbell and Uru are big losses but the Reds coming in will step up to the plate. They are both Wallabies after all :cool:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed. He has a few impulsive kicks that don't go right. He is not in the Campese rocks category just yet.
Harsh on Campo. One of the best players I’ve had the pleasure of watching and one of our most successful. Just happened to play at a time when the defensive expectations in wingers was vastly different and, of course, made a critical and ultimately decisive error in a Lions game.

Still would’ve been a pick in most peoples World XVs for a good portion of the time he played I suspect and without question the player of the 1991 World Cup.

I wish my rugby career was as bad as his.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon we will see Wright hit his straps over these next few weeks. He's essentially playing for a new contract, whether that be at the Reds or elsewhere. It will give Reds management some good headaches in terms of contracts for the next few years. I don't see us being able to retain all of Uru, Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) though.
I thought ASY (Angus Scott-Young) rumoured to head to uk for study or something

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought ASY (Angus Scott-Young) rumoured to head to uk for study or something
I would have thought he'd stay in Queensland so he can finish his Med degree. Considering its a 4 year Full-Time degree, I'd imagine he'd be doing it part time or 3 subjects a semester.

From memory, towards the back end of the degree is when placements and hands on clinics are done so, he could go overseas to study, but to get a residency in Qld/Aus I'd imagine he'd need to be studying here?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I would have thought he'd stay in Queensland so he can finish his Med degree. Considering its a 4 year Full-Time degree, I'd imagine he'd be doing it part time or 3 subjects a semester.

From memory, towards the back end of the degree is when placements and hands on clinics are done so, he could go overseas to study, but to get a residency in Qld/Aus I'd imagine he'd need to be studying here?
Three subjects is still considered a full-time load, so it'd be two or less if he was part time. UQ med has a number of programs involving overseas study at affiliate universities and/or hospitals, particularly in the third and fourth years (of a full-time degree). Has no impact on eligibility for residency here (aside from personal connections) as it is still fulfilling the required components.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees the luxury of only having to make 4 runs a game as a backrower.
7D675108-7D60-4C72-BB4D-43C87A61FB9E.jpeg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In all honesty though, Valetini is probably the guy at the Brumbies asked to do the more similar job to Wilson.

It's interesting though. Wilson, McReight and Uru all appear in the top 10 for most carries this season. The Reds are only 6th in carries amongst all teams and that Reds backrow is taking 35% of all carries for the Reds which is an astounding number.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Petaia can only dream of being half as good as Campese....
Why don’t we just let him play? What he’s already achieved in terms of playing professional rugby and making his test debut is better than 95% of his peers. Whatever people on here think Thorn, Rennie & Cheika all rate him extremely highly. The kid is going well above the average.

Campo deserves his place as one of the greatest Wallabies, but why be-little Petaia?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't think anyone's belittling him, it just gets silly when people start comparing a 21 year old with a handful of tests and still learning his craft with one of rugby's all-time greats.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No, you’re wrong Froggy. You might want to read the relevant posts again.

No one compared Petaia to Campo at all, until Lightblue did above. The post that Lightblue has quoted compared Paisami to Campese - but it was bagging Campo. Which I responded to above. Lightblue’s post definitely belittles Petaia.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'd like to say, that recent post by the Reds... I wish Daugunu all the best for this weekend. I was critical of him as an armchair critic at the start of the season, not overly but enough for me to feel guilt over it. I live in a place where you cannot really leave since covid hit and it is incredibly difficult. So I understand not seeing the people you care about the most and it is incredibly difficult. I hope he plays for himself, his family, his culture and for Fiji/Australia/the Reds.

It has been an incredible difficult time for many people the last few years, not seeing your family for 3 years takes its toll on even the staunchest person.

Go well young man. I hope that Thorne and his minions have done right by you, and have put you in the right place to strive on the return to professional rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll acknowledge up front there is a lot of me reading between the lines in this post and I may be well off base, but some of the comments I read with regards to the non-selection of Daugunu made me wonder if Thorn has deliberately held him back to get him to a higher level of performance. Whether that is removing some of the errors or getting up to peak fitness (remembering he had a broken arm to recover from).

Thorn has always worked hard to build depth and you could argue that giving game time to the likes of Creighton & Grealy early in the season is a worthwhile risk should we get an injury or two that throws them into the spotlight later in the season - but the only way to do that was to hold back someone like Lipo.

Purely speculation on my part - but I hope he has a barnstorming game this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.