• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Final - New Zealand v South Africa 29/10/23, 0800 NZDT

Who wins & after how long?

• New Zealand

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • 80 minutes

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Extra Time (2 x 10 minutes)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Sudden Death Extra Time (max. 10 minutes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penalty Kick Shootout (max. five kickers per team)

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
World Rugby takes all allegations of discriminatory behaviour extremely seriously.

We can confirm that we are formally reviewing the allegation made by England’s Tom Curry in relation to the use of discriminatory language during the England versus South Africa Rugby World Cup 2023 semi-final on Saturday.

World Rugby will not be making further comment until the conclusion of the process.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes. Breakdowns could be a lottery. What beats me is why Luke Pearce was overlooked for BOK. Best of the younger refs in the world. Calm, sensible, accurate. Everything BOK isn't. His time will come.
Luke Pearce is my favourite.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Some suggesting it was actually "wyd / wye kant" - meaning 'open side'.

Given the tone, repetition, and context, I think it's pretty clear that it's a misunderstanding of the highest order. I'd be pretty shocked if WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) take any action following the investigation.

It's pretty obvious.

But World Rugby will let this ride all week for wider mainstream media headlines. Like a real bunch of wye kants / wit kante.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Some suggesting it was actually "wyd / wye kant" - meaning 'open side'.

Given the tone, repetition, and context, I think it's pretty clear that it's a misunderstanding of the highest order. I'd be pretty shocked if WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) take any action following the investigation.

Tom Curry hasn't come out of this looking like a Rhodes Scholar. Hopefully he doesn't get too offended when the Barista speaks French to him when he orders his coffee this week

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Tom Curry hasn't come out of this looking like a Rhodes Scholar. Hopefully he doesn't get too offended when the Barista speaks French to him when he orders his coffee this week
Eh, sometimes you just mishear things. Given the context we've seen / heard in the video, I'm not sure it would've been where my head went, but at least the confusion is understandable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's Ben O'Keefe who comes out of this worst.

Player - "Ref what do I do if I am racially vilified"

Ref - "nothing"

Terrible message

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
BOK has been a major talking point in all three of the major games he has refereed this year (Super Rugby final, RWC QF & SF). Not a great look. World Rugby's appointments can be a bit baffling sometimes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'm not sure what he was expected to think if he doesn't speak Afrikaans. It seems like it's all a bit of a misunderstanding and that's fine, but you can't blame Curry in this case.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The more i look into it , i think he said a racist comment. If you look into 0:16 of this video you'll see they're pushing and shoving. If he the comment was made at that moment, why would he be referring to the 'white team' ?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The more i look into it , i think he said a racist comment. If you look into 0:16 of this video you'll see they're pushing and shoving. If he the comment was made at that moment, why would he be referring to the 'white team' ?
This is clearly from a different test match

And he said "white side", as it's common in South Africa to break up the field in colours i.e. Blue and White

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

LOL. You're using still frames from a previous test match as evidence that there was a racist comment made?

It was allegedly in open play before England were awarded a penalty for the Springboks 7 not rolling away.