• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If there was the appetite for an IPL style 7s series where the best players could be signed to play in non-internationally aligned teams for a tournament, how long would it need to prepare and then how long would the tournament need to be?

With a month of lead time could you say play 3 tournaments over 4 weekends (effectively making it take two months a year) and it be lucrative and interesting enough?

The big challenge vs cricket is that cricket is such an individual sport at its heart. It's much easier to bring players together with limited prep time and the quality is not far off that of a team that has been together for ages.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
there is somewhat of a 7s circuit up here between Byron Bay 7s, Sunnybank, Gold Coast, BrisVegas and Noosa which most Premier Grade teams play in (and women). There is a fair chunk of QRL players who play in it (and NRLW in fact)

There are a lot of pre- and post-season 7s tournaments up and down the NSW coast and some inland ones as well which are getting big. You see a lot of crossover players - particularly the womens. There are a few 10s tournaments popping up as well.

I plan to get my refereeing boots and go help out at a few of them early next year. The benefit of getting a bit of pre-season fitness and match prep is a good opportunity, but I'll be doing XVs through the year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On the downside: some of those 7s tournaments are starting to affect club preseasons as they creep into late March. Everyone wants a slice of the pie - they're great moneyspinners for the local economy - and the calendar is crowded.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If there was the appetite for an IPL style 7s series where the best players could be signed to play in non-internationally aligned teams for a tournament, how long would it need to prepare and then how long would the tournament need to be?

With a month of lead time could you say play 3 tournaments over 4 weekends (effectively making it take two months a year) and it be lucrative and interesting enough?

Women currently only have 7 tournaments a year, Men have 11. There’s ample time in the calendar.

The issue is underutilisation of the 7s brand, that’s impacting on individual earnings and endorsements especially for the women. Won’t be long before NRLW and AFLW are earning more then the Womens 7s players, once that happens retention and recruitment will be difficult.

I’m all for a IPL 7s tournament if it means the best females players are playing, and earning an extra $$. Would it be lucrative enough, well that’s the crux of the issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Women currently only have 7 tournaments a year, Men have 11. There’s ample time in the calendar.

I’m all for a IPL 7s tournament if it means the best females players are playing, and earning an extra $$. Would it be lucrative enough, well that’s the crux of the issue.

I agree with both those things.

I'm genuinely asking what people who have thought about this think is a workable structure that would provide the right revenue opportunities and quality.

I have argued against a BBL style 7s tournament because I don't think it works in terms of players and games you'd need to be playing most nights a week over a long period of time. I think you would keep it as traditional weekend tournaments over 2 or 3 days.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree with both those things.

I'm genuinely asking what people who have thought about this think is a workable structure that would provide the right revenue opportunities and quality.

I have argued against a BBL style 7s tournament because I don't think it works in terms of players and games you'd need to be playing most nights a week over a long period of time. I think you would keep it as traditional weekend tournaments over 2 or 3 days.
Yeah It would definitely need to remain a tournament style event. The days don’t need to be as long as a typical HSBC 7s day as realistically the number of team's would be a lot less. 6-8 as opposed to the 12-16 on the HSBC 7s.

Ideally for broadcaster value it would be 6~ hour sessions over 2 days, each team playing 2 game per day, maybe 3 if it’s a finals knock out.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah It would definitely need to remain a tournament style event. The days don’t need to be as long as a typical HSBC 7s day as realistically the number of team's would be a lot less. 6-8 as opposed to the 12-16 on the HSBC 7s.

Ideally for broadcaster value it would be 6~ hour sessions over 2 days, each team playing 2 game per day, maybe 3 if it’s a finals knock out.
I think its a great idea. We can't afford to lose them, hopefully someone from RA reads this, and runs with it.
The HK Sevens oZ games were amazing to watch on the last day. We need more publicity of how good it is to watch.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think its a great idea. We can't afford to lose them, hopefully someone from Rugby Australia reads this, and runs with it.
The HK Sevens oZ games were amazing to watch on the last day. We need more publicity of how good it is to watch.
Getting it of Bien and onto Stan/9 would be a good start.

You could easily run the whole tournament on Stan and the drop the Aussie games on 9gem across the weekend. Nice little half hour bursts or rugby. Even if on slight delays to fit in around regular scheduling or tennis etc.

I think if 9 had the rights for the tournament's in the SA/UK time zone with Friday games you could almost roll straight into it after the NRL finished. Cheap filler that would keep eyeballs

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
96D09EFC-2BEA-4CCA-8D67-F79508C787DF.jpeg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Key signings that you can build a squad around for several years to come. Good media-wise, too, which will help wrt to sponsors & fan engagement.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Key signings that you can build a squad around for several years to come. Good media-wise, too, which will help wrt to sponsors & fan engagement.

Its just a dam shame the women are limited to only 7 tournaments a year, half of which aren't even in a friendly time zone. They could be superstar athletes across all female codes if provided the right exposure.

Time for the IPL 7s ;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Its just a dam shame the women are limited to only 7 tournaments a year, half of which aren't even in a friendly time zone. They could be superstar athletes across all female codes if provided the right exposure.

Time for the IPL 7s ;)

The was an article posted by Geoff Parkes on The Roar a few years back around something just like this. A month long tournament featuring primarily Australian teams both Men's and Women's. Would really enjoy seeing something like this.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The was an article posted by Geoff Parkes on The Roar a few years back around something just like this. A month long tournament featuring primarily Australian teams both Men's and Women's. Would really enjoy seeing something like this.
I'm a massive wrap on this. 8 men's team, 4 women's, initially. All players from the World Series who want to go into a draft, any retired XVs players who want to back themselves (performance/marketing wise).

In an ideal world, it'd happen down under in December and you'd get Super Rugby & Japanese Clubs allowing players to nominate too as part of their pre-season, but that's probably highly unlikely.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seems a few are interested in the concept…

More rugby content to fill the calendar, and greater commercial exposure/endorsement opportunities for the 7s players that is currently lacking outside of a 4 week period in Olympics and Comm Games years.

Last edited: