• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tahboy

Band 3 are on X factor
ARU talk for level 1, level 2 or level 3
Band 1 is top level
Band 3 is terrible

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I heard Penrith and Randwick got a band 3 in the ARU review so both clubs lose about 15k from there funding which will no doubt hurt Penrith in particular.
It's the ridiculous ranking system that was introduced post the start of the season and bludgeoned through the club Presidents and GMs. My understanding is there were three band ones, three band 3 and the rest band two. Everyone except the band ones got less money than last year. It was nothing more than a budget cut disguised as an "incentive" payment. In the end, the clubs who really need the assistance got less money and the richer clubs who could satisfy the criteria got more. That my friends is the best example of what is wrong with Rugby administration in this country. Unless change happens soon, the game will soon be irrelevant as a major sport in Australia.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
It's the ridiculous ranking system that was introduced post the start of the season and bludgeoned through the club Presidents and GMs. My understanding is there were three band ones, three band 3 and the rest band two. Everyone except the band ones got less money than last year. It was nothing more than a budget cut disguised as an "incentive" payment. In the end, the clubs who really need the assistance got less money and the richer clubs who could satisfy the criteria got more. That my friends is the best example of what is wrong with Rugby administration in this country. Unless change happens soon, the game will soon be irrelevant as a major sport in Australia.
Absolutely agree, most ridiculous thing. ARU say they reviewed and attended training which is all lies. They just looked at the competition table at the end of the rounds. Blatant cash grab and gave money to those that didn't needed it and stole from those that needed it all under the guise of helping the clubs.
They can't manage one squad let alone have the hide to try and help manage 22 others.
The fish rots from the head and rugby smells bad at the moment.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I heard Penrith and Randwick got a band 3 in the ARU review so both clubs lose about 15k from there funding which will no doubt hurt Penrith in particular.
Their solution to a lop sided comp is to give extra funds to the top 3 and fund it by a reduction to the worst 3?
Who could possibly think this has merit?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone from the ARU participate in this forum?
If so, please put your hand up and explain the logic (?) behind this grant "system".

T

Tahboy

This is scary Ryan09 I am agreeing again with you
If the ARU saw some glaring problems with what clubs were doing why not help them and suggest options to help the clubs sort out there perceived problems instead of taking money from them so its then harder to fix these problems
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me the way it's been handled

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Over the past decade, the ARU and NSWRU have fought a war of attrition hoping a few Shute Shield clubs would just die off.

Arguably, this system doesn't represent a carrot for the successful, but an attempt to hurry the demise of the under-resourced.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
If we are talking about clubs loosing 15K that seems like pretty small beer compared to the numbers quoted to run a SS club. It seems like the real issue is the absolute pitance that the ARU provides to all clubs, with really only one or two Sydney clubs not doing it tough from what I hear. By all means support the struggling clubs first but its time for the ARU to step up with some real support for club rugby generally. Mr O'Neill has got to be the most invisible CEO in the country. We never from him or about him these days other than when a test is on. It seems he is taking more than he is contributing to Rugby in Australia.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
If we are talking about clubs loosing 15K that seems like pretty small beer compared to the numbers quoted to run a SS club. It seems like the real issue is the absolute pitance that the ARU provides to all clubs, with really only one or two Sydney clubs not doing it tough from what I hear. By all means support the struggling clubs first but its time for the ARU to step up with some real support for club rugby generally. Mr O'Neill has got to be the most invisible CEO in the country. We never from him or about him these days other than when a test is on. It seems he is taking more than he is contributing to Rugby in Australia.
$15K is not huge but can be the difference for many. It is death by 1000 cuts, you get the result but no one can isolate the death blow.
O'Neill is an issue but possible today he may become even more invisible and do us all a favour.

O

Ole Two Blue

Absolutely agree, most ridiculous thing. ARU say they reviewed and attended training which is all lies. They just looked at the competition table at the end of the rounds. Blatant cash grab and gave money to those that didn't needed it and stole from those that needed it all under the guise of helping the clubs.
They can't manage one squad let alone have the hide to try and help manage 22 others.
The fish rots from the head and rugby smells bad at the moment.
Their solution to a lop sided comp is to give extra funds to the top 3 and fund it by a reduction to the worst 3?
Who could possibly think this has merit?
Over the past decade, the ARU and NSWRU have fought a war of attrition hoping a few Shute Shield clubs would just die off.

Arguably, this system doesn't represent a carrot for the successful, but an attempt to hurry the demise of the under-resourced.

Starting from what I have highlighted from the top.

Ryan 09 - Throughout the entire 'Premier Rugby Review' process, ARU employees implied that the clubs who weren't struggling financially will not get as much in the grant as those that were. In a sense a support scheme. Then when the results of the review came out, somehow, without the clubs knowing it turned into a rewards scheme rather than a support scheme. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer. The ARU justified it by saying that certain clubs had a large number of full time employees (large compared to everyone else) who needed to be paid. Most clubs would have been able to satisfy the criteria...................if they had actually been told what that criteria was! All clubs were just required to fill out a survey, submit financial statements and budgets, supply an example of a contract and then provide details of the coaching, development and medical programmes. At no stage where the clubs (or atleast my club) informed of what the criteria was to tick all boxes.

In The Know I Think - Can't speak for all clubs, but I can assure you, according to our GM and Head Coach, the ARU did attend one of our training sessions. It was attended by the Coach of the National Academy, 3 days after he was appointed to the role. He also attended when the comp was in a bye week, so some players were not in attendance to treat injury and fatigue.

I Like to Watch - I'll quote the Parra GM (hopefully he doesn't kick my arse for doing so) ' I would've thought by providing more resources to the weaker clubs, with the aim of bringing them closer to the benchmark set by Uni, Manly and co, that would improve the quality of the competition to which all clubs and rugby in general then benefit from'.

Coxy - I don't believe the current ARU management give a rats about supporting grass roots rugby. From their lack of support and lack of direction added to the lack of drive to find a solution to the third tier question, it is difficult to draw any other conclusion than that.

Informer - All clubs still lost money. The grants were cut by $21K. Then after this rewards scheme, the 'top' clubs were awarded $15K more. So they still lost a bit. The issue is, that the ARU and more importantly the SRU knew the grants were going to be reduced well before the clubs had done their 2012 budgets. They chose to sit on the information until the week before christmas, sending the clubs into chaos.

Whilst I'm obviously very critical of the ARU above, I would also like to point out my discontent for SRU. When SRU were re-formed, the clubs were told it was to secure more direct funding from ARU by taking out the middle man of the NSWRU. Since that has happened, the competion has not had a major sponsor for 2 years now (despite promises 'a major sponsor is just about to sign this week'), the SRU has had over $150K reduced in it's direct grant, and each club has lost a minimum of $6K with some losing $21K. They have tried to bring about the demise of rugby news as well and continue to tell all clubs everything is rosy.

It is a disgrace

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Finally some good news fresh off the ARU web site -
News Article

John O'Neill resigns as ARU Managing Director and CEO

Note that his list of "achievements" doesn't contain any mention of club rugby and even though the "ARU has strengthened its financial position the clubs have received reduced funding:
“Under his leadership, a Governance review into the game has been initiated; planning for the 2013 Lions Tour is well underway; the Qantas Wallabies have improved from fifth in the world when John returned to the game in 2007 to now second behind the All Blacks; participation levels are at an all-time high; the ARU has strengthened its financial position; we have increased influence at the International Rugby Board; Rugby has been further expanded with a fifth team in Melbourne; and the new Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship has been launched with the inclusion of Argentina, refreshing the Southern Hemisphere Test competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The grass roots achievements obviously go without mention.

The RWC2003 made $43 million profit, or thereabouts. This was all apparently earmarked for Grass Roots rugby.

The RWC03 money has now gone: in 10 years, average annual spend has therefore been $4.3m.

We should be so lucky.

Will this era be labelled as the Grass Rooted era?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The grass roots achievements obviously go without mention.

The RWC2003 made $43 million profit, or thereabouts. This was all apparently earmarked for Grass Roots rugby.

The RWC03 money has now gone: in 10 years, average annual spend has therefore been $4.3m.

We should be so lucky.

Will this era be labelled as the Grass Rooted era?

No, I think they were all mentioned:)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
A couple of interesting quotes from Michael Cheika in the Waratah Rugby newsletter today:

"But what we can do is make sure we create opportunities for some of the young and talented players coming up through the subbies and country club ranks to play for NSW and create something here that they and everyone else wants to be a part of in the future."

"For the next few weeks, we have also invited a small selection of aspiring Shute Shield players to join us for pre-season training, with a view to securing the final EPS place and a spot in the squad going forward."

Good to see the new coach recognising there are sources of talent beyond the GPS schools!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Post #96 (@the coach). The list of grass roots achievements will probably be as long as Gough Whitlam's list of reasons why I like Sir John Kerr.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A couple of interesting quotes from Michael Cheika in the Waratah Rugby newsletter today:

"But what we can do is make sure we create opportunities for some of the young and talented players coming up through the subbies and country club ranks to play for NSW and create something here that they and everyone else wants to be a part of in the future."

"For the next few weeks, we have also invited a small selection of aspiring Shute Shield players to join us for pre-season training, with a view to securing the final EPS place and a spot in the squad going forward."

Good to see the new coach recognising there are sources of talent beyond the GPS schools!

is that players aspiring to play shute shield (Colts, country, subbies) or Shute Shield players aspiring to be waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.