• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Point scorers and correct teams (almost!) now listed on the NSWRU website. All we need now is the player points added again as per previous years. (Click on the > alongside the game scores.)

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
It's only 2 weeks ago we heard the annual bleating about the SS games being televised.Now ,incredibly , some people are whinging again. It was pointed out in earlier posts that the schedule of games to be televised was released prior to the first round.
The schedule allows all the teams to be seen at least once. Once the schedule is completed then each weeks games are chosen according to what is judged to be likely to produce the most public interest.

In another year when the clubs in the West are struggling to get a win, & therefore struggling to generate interest & support from the local public , & corporate sponsors, there are those who complain that they should not receive any public exposure at all. These are the same people who purport to support the development of Rugby in the Western Suburbs of Sydney , & are happy to complain about the lack of support & development received from the A.R.U. & NSWRU. These can be identified as people who support the more successful teams , who just coincidentally , are situated a long way from Sydney's struggling teams in the West.

Self promoting hypocrisy at its best.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd suggest you've jumped to a lot of conclusions with a minimum of supporting evidence, Done That.

I'm not sure why the TV had to decide which games to cover for the first 7 rounds in advance of round 1, maybe there are valid logistical reasons.

The schedule for the first 7 weeks will cover all teams at least once, except Penrith. Maybe Penrith and Easts will be the TV game in round 8 instead of Norths v Wicks or Eastwood v Souths. I hope not.

I'm really not sure what having a TV game does for a club except probably reducing the home team's gate takings. I may be wrong, but I don't think the home team's sponsors even get a plug during the telecast.

I doubt that showing uneven contests like Manly (60) v Parramatta (0) (and I suspect Woods v Wests this week could be similar) does anything for the losing team or the game in general. Surely Gordon v Parramatta would have been a more attractive and even game for telecast this weekend and given exposure to two of the teams who have struggled in recent years.

As I said above there may have been valid reasons for deciding which games to cover so far in advance but I would suggest that providing coverage for all teams within the first several rounds could have still been achieved by deciding week-to-week which games to show and still making sure the top games were covered. After all, surely the objective is to present a product that is attractive to the target audience.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have no issues all clubs getting FTA coverage, i think it is very important. I think people should make effort to get to more games.

I haven't watched live FTA for a number of years, I don't help the ratings at all - sorry.

Edit - i know there are alot of avid followers out there who can no longer get to games, there is also the importance of having quality games on the box as well so our great game is promoted i the best way.
It is a difficult balance.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
If I understand correctly, each club contributes to the funding of the TV arrangement and so each team is guaranteed one game at the start of the season (I am not sure about Penrith this year).
I assume each club justifies to keep the exposure and also to promote it with major sponsors.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought the SRU had to raise advertising revenue for the coverage. Didn't know the clubs were involved.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/p...s/news-story/03f7e9bd7e1dc3ca7558df927be158c4

Good article.. this is something myself and many others on here have banged on about before..

Some quotes from the article which are spot on
“It’s critical to get these guys blooded through club rugby; not coming straight from school into Super Rugby — they’re not making it.”

“There are a lot of guys out there who I think are lucky to be in Super Rugby,”

Previously, first-grade club players had to earn their stripes by performing consistently well over a long period of time.
These days, one strong club season can land you a Super Rugby gig in Australia.

“Personally, in the forwards, I believe that’s a really good age for guys physically and a lot of guys don’t start to peak until their mid-20s.
“So I think the biggest mistake you can make is just going, ‘Let’s pick them because they played for an under-20s squad,’ when in actual fact two years later there might be 10 other guys in that position who can compete with them or put a lot of pressure on them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Some of us here have been banging on about this for yonks.

But it is essential that some of these young stars go to play for struggling clubs. What is the point of them all congregating in one safe, special, club? Where all they do is win, win, win.

Let them eat dirt, let them work harder in a losing side than you ever work when you are winning all the bloody time.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Man - feel for you guys, the gate is so important to club rugby.

I hope all clubs work together to find ways to support.

Example, if Beasties are playing their home game away the gate less expenses is looked at.
The announcement stated that all home games will be played at home grounds ie not played away.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The announcement stated that all home games will be played at home grounds ie not played away.

I'm confused with that.
If Easts are suppose to play Wicks at Woollahra next week but can't because of their oval so decide to play at Cooper.
Who gets the gate.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm confused with that.
If Easts are suppose to play Wicks at Woollahra next week but can't because of their oval so decide to play at Cooper.
Who gets the gate.

I believe they've swapped a couple of home games hoping the ground would be ready, but still have 9 home games. Their previous home game this year was played down the road at Cranbrook school. Their next home game will be at Scots College, also not far from Woollahra Oval.

Here's the email:
We regret to inform you that Easts will not have access to Woollahra Oval during the 2017 season.
We were informed yesterday evening by Woollahra Council that the rectification works were taking longer than anticipated and unfortunately the field will not be ready until after the 2017 season.
Whilst this is obviously disappointing news, the club continues to work with both the council and our other supporters to find alternate venues to host our games.
We would like to thank Woollahra Council, The Scots College, Cranbrook School and others for their continued support at this time.
The above does not detract in any way the clubs ambitions on and off the field and we look forward to playing on the new Woollahra Oval in 2018.
We would like to ensure you that all our home games will go ahead as home fixtures at alternate venues and your membership will be valid at all of these schedules games. This week grade are playing reigning premiers Norths at North Sydney Oval and colts are playing at McKay Oval in Centennial Park, we hope that many of you will be there to cheer on the teams.
See you on the sideline soon.
Upcoming fixtures:
6th May v Norths at North Sydney Oval (Colts at McKay Oval in Centennial Park)
13th May v Gordon at Orange (colts at Chatswood Oval)
20th May v Penrith at Penrith
27th May v Warrignah at The Scots College
We will be updating you with the rescheduling for our remaining games

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^^^^^ I know Easts played their home game at Manly Oval, and no doubt at that point in time both clubs were expecting to play the next game at Woollahra.

I know when Manly Oval was in doubt for a year due to the car pack, the Marlins received support from wide and far. Hope fans of all clubs make an effort to support their teams through the gate home and away - and especially the Beasties this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.