• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 - NZ Derbies & v Drua/ Moana

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Discharged without conviction. Haha. He plead guilty. Anyway. Wife basher scores. A tense 5 mins remaining.

Yeah, to get DWC you pretty much have to plead guilty & put forward no mitigation. As it happens I know a fair bit more about the incident than has ever been reported & without going into too much detail had he contested the charge he might well have been found not guilty or at least guilty of a lesser offence. Instead he manned up to his wrongdoing, gave up the drink & got away from the toxic lifestyle he was leading at that time. I think that's called rehabilitation in the justice system.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah, to get DWC you pretty much have to plead guilty & put forward no mitigation. As it happens I know a fair bit more about the incident than has ever been reported & without going into too much detail had he contested the charge he might well have been found not guilty or at least guilty of a lesser offence. Instead he manned up to his wrongdoing, gave up the drink & got away from the toxic lifestyle he was leading at that time. I think that's called rehabilitation in the justice system.
I’ve got plenty of thoughts on this, in particular on how some serious acts are glossed over/ rapidly forgiven and some minor ones get hounded for life, but here is not the time or place. Well done Drua. Heaven help any team playing them in Fiji this year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would be nice if Moana got a few more games on the islands

It would but at this point I think a game in Samoa every year & one in Tonga every other year is probably the best-case scenario, the cost v revenue equation being what it undoubtedly is & neither government really being in a position to make up the difference for multiple home games (& that's before factoring in the rampant nepotism & other behaviours bordering on what would be deemed corruption in other jurisdictions).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Old Beauden must've been getting stuck into the Naas Botha highlights over the preseason. Just been hoisting bombs for five straight quarters of pro rugby now. Let Perofeta have a run if he's just going to phone it in that hard.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ve got plenty of thoughts on this, in particular on how some serious acts are glossed over/ rapidly forgiven and some minor ones get hounded for life, but here is not the time or place. Well done Drua. Heaven help any team playing them in Fiji this year.

Thoughts are all well & good but have you considered the possibility that all parties - families, provincial Unions, Super Rugby entities & NZR - came up with a solution that a judge found acceptable from a legal POV & which has resulted in no further issues in the almost five years since?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty average half of rugby. It seems Schmidt's efforts at the Blues have already been forgotten. No attempts to bring Clarke in close to the breakdown, or really do anything that shovel it sideways. Swap Perofeta and Barrett around; one of them wants to play while the other just wants to survive the season.

A return to of some proper physicality has been nice though. A shame it didn't arrive a week earlier.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Thoughts are all well & good but have you considered the possibility that all parties - families, provincial Unions, Super Rugby entities & NZR - came up with a solution that a judge found acceptable from a legal POV & which has resulted in no further issues in the almost five years since?
Sure have. I’m talking more about fans and the belief of x = ok, but y = worst person ever. But I’d rather not derail this thread further. Feel free to PM me if you’d like.