• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Oldsoldier

Stan Wickham (3)
Who here thinks their club has what it takes to take top honours in their respective divisions I think mine does if they play to their potential im
Associated with Div 4 and no I don’t play I more support and run the water or kicking tee
I’m nervous but I think mine has a shot

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Who here thinks their club has what it takes to take top honours in their respective divisions I think mine does if they play to their potential im
Associated with Div 4 and no I don’t play I more support and run the water or kicking tee

Division 4

McClean Cup First Grade

Irish, having only lost one game (to us! ;) ) look to have their nose in front of Merrylands and Rockdale at this point.
Never count Redfield out - round 14 at Redfield College v Irish should be very interesting, particularly as Irish will want to push their 2nd Grade into a top 2 spot to get the club a week off.
Renegades hopefully make it into 5th with Wakehurst looking likely for 6th, but will be a tall order for either club to survive the first week against some quality sides.

At this stage I've got the finals series looking like this:
Week 1 - 12 August
QF A: Rockdale (3) v Wakehurst (6)
QF B: Redfield (4) v Renegades (5)

Week 2 - 19 August
SF A: Irish (1) v Renegades ;) (W QF B)
SF B: Merrylands (2) v Rockdale (W QF A)

Week 3 - Sat 26 Aug Grand Finals
GF: Renegades ;) (W SF A) v Rockdale (W SF B)

Seriously tho think Irish have got this year in the bag. There will be some good finals tho and hopefully we get everyone on the park for a change :(

The big factor is going to be discipline. Once we get 3 qualified refs from a potentially pool, it may affect some clubs more than others.

Grose Cup Second Grade
A note here: it would feel a bit shit if our team got into the finals on the back of forfeits. We haven't won on the field all year, the closest being a 4-try loss to Chatswood in R2. Like a second chocolate bar: I'll eat it, but I'll feel bad about it ;)

Week 1 - 12 August
QF A: Redfield (3) v Renegades (6)
QF B: Irish (4) v Raptors (5)

Week 2 - 19 August
SF A: Merrylands (1) v Irish (W QF B)
SF B: Rockdale (2) v Renegades ;) (W QF A)

GF: Merrylands (W SF A) v Renegades ;) (W SF B)

TBH I'm less sure about this one - Merrylands have been the team to beat all year, then Irish went and did it. So Redfield and Rockdale will have taken notice of that.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I’m nervous but I think mine has a shot

Ya think? Maybe 4 losses across 55 games isn't a great indicator, but I'd say a fair bit of silverware is there for the taking... ;)

1689745078431.png

Uzimal1989

Bob McCowan (2)
Division 4

McClean Cup First Grade

Irish, having only lost one game (to us! ;) ) look to have their nose in front of Merrylands and Rockdale at this point.
Never count Redfield out - round 14 at Redfield College v Irish should be very interesting, particularly as Irish will want to push their 2nd Grade into a top 2 spot to get the club a week off.
Renegades hopefully make it into 5th with Wakehurst looking likely for 6th, but will be a tall order for either club to survive the first week against some quality sides.

At this stage I've got the finals series looking like this:
Week 1 - 12 August
QF A: Rockdale (3) v Wakehurst (6)
QF B: Redfield (4) v Renegades (5)

Week 2 - 19 August
SF A: Irish (1) v Renegades ;) (W QF B)
SF B: Merrylands (2) v Rockdale (W QF A)

GF: Renegades ;) (W SF A) v Rockdale (W SF B)

Seriously tho think Irish have got this year in the bag. There will be some good finals tho and hopefully we get everyone on the park for a change :(

The big factor is going to be discipline. Once we get 3 qualified refs from a more qualified pool, and 2 guys on the sideline with full badges, it may affect some clubs more than others.

Grose Cup Second Grade
A note here: it would feel a bit shit if our team got into the finals on the back of forfeits. We haven't won on the field all year, the closest being a 4-try loss to Chatswood in R2. Like a second chocolate bar: I'll eat it, but I'll feel bad about it ;)

Week 1 - 12 August
QF A: Redfield (3) v Renegades (6)
QF B: Irish (4) v Raptors (5)

Week 2 - 19 August
SF A: Merrylands (1) v Irish (W QF B)
SF B: Rockdale (2) v Renegades ;) (W QF A)

GF: Merrylands (W SF A) v Renegades ;) (W SF B)

TBH I'm less sure about this one - Merrylands have been the team to beat all year, then Irish went and did it. So Redfield and Rockdale will have taken notice of that.
Be really good to see you play in the finals pfitzy because I hear you are one of the more loyal club people anyone or club could ask for. I have numerous sources who only speak with highly regard and respect for you mate so well done.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's not always available.
I think more early guilty pleas should be on offer. Happy with a longer length for the suspension.
But so often clubs are forced to drag guys into DP only to plead guilty and split hairs on what happened.
Especially with the TV footage these days most charges are pretty cut and dry. So take the pressure off club volunteers and allow them to get it sorted sooner.
I will say certain issues (ref abuse etc) should be heard in person. But a high tackle or a punch? Early guilty plea 4-5 weeks. Case closed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think more early guilty pleas should be on offer. Happy with a longer length for the suspension.
But so often clubs are forced to drag guys into DP only to plead guilty and split hairs on what happened.
Especially with the TV footage these days most charges are pretty cut and dry. So take the pressure off club volunteers and allow them to get it sorted sooner.
I will say certain issues (ref abuse etc) should be heard in person. But a high tackle or a punch? Early guilty plea 4-5 weeks. Case closed.

When the player lives out past Penrith, it's a long way for a 15 minute hearing. Even if you beat the charge and associated fine, the petrol and tolls... well...

Our current catchment is about 900sq km I figured out on a rough guide of player addresses.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Interested in the major stories of each div going into finals. Wonder if anyone who is across a division would have a stab at giving their team of the season so far (can’t be just from one team).

As finals near us I’m eager to see the narratives build before we reach the conclusion of the season.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Round 12 Preview

Petersham - Colleagues - Another good game. There are no bad games in Div 1 this year. Every team is competitive. Petersham at home will again push Colleagues. Colleagues have the hardest run home with a bye to complicate factors. They will have circled this one as one they cant drop. Colleagues to win it late by 3

Hunters Hill
- Blue Mountains. Top of the table clashes dont get much better than this. Prefer not to be at Lapstone in the cold but I expect this to an extremely physical game. Mountains have strike across the park. I reckon a last play penalty will win this game. HH by 2

Mosman - Drummoyne - Drummoyne are building very nicely and despite Mosmans effort to get away from the bottom of the CC, they wont be able to take Kentwell this week. Drummoyne to continue their push for the finals. Reds by 7

Waverley - Forest. Forest have done well this year, but just lack that depth and polish at the end of games. I can see this being close again for another 70 minutes, Waverley are a big team with strong forwards and strike out wide. Expect them to pull away late. Waves by 14. Only issue is are a few of the Waverley boys shooting up to Splendour this week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 1 - all games appear to be on except Waverley's Colts - who aren't listed as a forfeit. The game simply doesn't have a kick off time so is a dead letter.

Div 2
BLUNT CUP

Briars forfeit UNSW
Newport forfeit Epping

Div 3
FARRANT CUP

Knox forfeit to HarbourEasts
Iggies forfeit to Beecroft

NICHOLSON CUP

So Iggies only have one game at Ryde Park this week against the 'croft. Wow...

Uzimal1989

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 1 - all games appear to be on except Waverley's Colts - who aren't listed as a forfeit. The game simply doesn't have a kick off time so is a dead letter.

Div 2
BLUNT CUP

Briars forfeit UNSW
Newport forfeit Epping

Div 3
FARRANT CUP

Knox forfeit to HarbourEasts

NICHOLSON CUP

So Iggies only have one game at Ryde Park this week against the 'croft. Wow...
Quick question for you please now that there’s forfeits in 2nd division in 3rd grade this week does that mean that 2nd grade forfeit as well or does it mean colts forfeit because a few years ago when covid was a thing one a couple of clubs forfeited and the grade above them automatically forfeited as well or is it the grade under

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Quick question for you please now that there’s forfeits in 2nd division in 3rd grade this week does that mean that 2nd grade forfeit as well or does it mean colts forfeit because a few years ago when covid was a thing one a couple of clubs forfeited and the grade above them automatically forfeited as well or is it the grade under

Ops Manual deals with this: https://rugby.net.au/ResDetail.asp?id=16980&OrgID=132&menu=637

9. FORFEITS
If a Club is forced to forfeit a match, it shall be the lowest grade(s) representing that Club, excluding Colts, which shall be forfeited.
9.2 If a club forfeits a grade higher than a grade already played on that day, then at the Board’s discretion, that club may be deemed to have forfeited all grades, excluding colts, previously played on that day. However, any point differential greater than 28-0 in favour of the non-forfeiting club will be preserved.

So Colts isn't considered "higher" or "lower" than other Grades.

Hence, last year Knox Old Boys forfeited everything except Colts for a few rounds, because if you forfeit other grades, it doesn't affect Colts.

Similarly if you forfeit Colts, it doesn't affect Grade.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interested in the major stories of each div going into finals. Wonder if anyone who is across a division would have a stab at giving their team of the season so far (can’t be just from one team).

As finals near us I’m eager to see the narratives build before we reach the conclusion of the season.
The Woodsman loves a challenge and as a keen viewer of Division 2, I will nominate a 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV for Division 2, based on regular first grade players only. Hard to go past the two most dominant teams in Lindfield and UNSW.

1Jock Wilcox (Lindfield)Ethan MacMinn (UNSW)Johan Moll (Hills)
2Mitch Antico (Lindfield)John Sommerville (UNSW)Anthony Nguyen (Briars)
3Dave Davis (UNSW)Jordy Nikolpoulos (Lindfield)Tim McAlpine (Epping)
4Conan Freeman (Lindfield)Alasdair Forrest (Epping)Luke Russo (Hills)
5Zac Lomas (Lindfield)James Benton (Valley)Matt Alexander (Newport)
6Harry Byrnes (Epping)Will Ng-Fawcett (UNSW)Danny Richards (Lindfield)
7Elliot Cichero (UNSW)Mick Brinnand (Hills)Luke Milham (Lindfield)
8Andrew Walsh (UNSW)Tom Booth (Lindfield)Raymondo Magalogo (Valley)
9Sammy Reimer (Lindfield)Harry Magriplis (UNSW)Sebastian Allen (Newport)
10Sean Grace (Lindfield)
Favourite for the Barraclough Medal
Jack Keppel (UNSW)Matt Brinnand (Hills)
11Jono 'The Butcher' Cowley (Lindfield)Geffrey Marshall (Epping)Dom Southon (Hills)
12Todd Palmer (Epping)Pat Flaherty (Lindfield)Nick 'Big Nige' Plunkett (UNSW)
13Naibuka Nakavo (UNSW)Viliami Fine (Briars)Jake Skrab (Lindfield)
14Edmund Tomsana (Epping)Riley 'The Flying Mullet' Thompson (Lindfield)Sam Parmentier (Hills)
15Matt Garrow (Lindfield)Nox Levea (UNSW)Tadgh Van Schowen (Newport)

Last edited:

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
The Woodsman loves a challenge and as a keen viewer of Division 2, I will nominate a 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV for Division 2, based on regular first grade players only. Hard to go past the two most dominant teams in Lindfield and UNSW.

10Sean Grace (Lindfield)
Jack Keppel (UNSW)Matt Brinnand (Epping)
11Jono 'The Butcher' Cowley (Lindfield)Geffrey Marshall (Epping)Dom Southon (Hills)
14Edmund Tomsana (Epping)Riley 'The Flying Mullet' Thompson (Lindfield)Sam Parmentier (Hills)
Says a lot about the standard of Div 2 this year....

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s a monster day at Lindfield Oval for anyone wanting a great day of rugby. We are aiming to wrap up a near perfect regular season with 5 wins against the division underdogs Hills Rugby. 1sts , 2nds, Colts and 4ths (against D2) are aiming to complete undefeated seasons.

1st XV - Lindfield win by 25 but I expect the red men to stay in it for a long time.
2nd XV - Lindfield by 1 against a Hills coming off 5 BP wins in a row. Match of the day.
3rd XV - Hills win by 3, though the aim for one team may be to play in the right spirit.
4th XV - Lindfield by 22
Colts - Lindfield by 22 with a comfortable victory

Clark Cup Karen

Bob McCowan (2)

10Sean Grace (Lindfield)
Jack Keppel (UNSW)Matt Brinnand (Hills)
No arguments about Tim McAlpine being in this team, I watched the Newport Epping game and if I’m right he broke 4 Newport props over the 80 minutes.