• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021 -Rd 4 - Force v Rebels - Fri 12/3

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You’d just have a different group of people complaining.

Whatever they adopt, you’ll never please everyone. And, more importantly, there will always be incidents which are subjectively harshly penalised & more leniently penalised under any set of rules.

Personally I think the current rule is an improvement. I’d actually be happy if it was just 10 minutes for a red card and then the player was suspended accordingly after the game. But the current position is fine to me.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In some respects I was glad when that game ended. In a game that is statically very close to 50/50, the Rebels finally squeaked out a win against a very poorly preforming Force.

My takeaway were the Melbourne Koroibete (he is the team right?) was fantastic; not sold on WFT the other 14 freeloaders are really contributing aside from some good kicking tutorial and occasional sumo. I will say I was impressed that had actually learned a set piece move to score a a try in the abundant amount of time they have had together.

The Force were awful punctuated by some really stupid rugby. They could have won that but deserved not to.

Wessels even in victory continues to be nothing but an excuse jukebox in every media moment. He can't seem to help himself. I am starting to suspect that a big part of the poor Rebel performances could simply stem from what he is preaching.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would have two different rules at the same time.

Any red card offence that can be deemed as just a mistake, eg attempting a tackle without any malice and making contact with the head is a red card with a 20 minute replacement. A deliberate wilful act of violence like an eye gouge, pushing a ref, deliberate swinging arm to the head et is a Red card with no replacement.

Maybe the simple way would be that a 6 week offence or less gets replaced after 20minutes

I think makes it too hard to have different scenarios for red cards - just one rule and keep it simple. Yellow cards are for lessor offences

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
AFAIC they Force messed this one up. They had a chance at three points at the end of the first half but chose to kick for the corner instead. In the 76 minute they had another penalty to draw the game and again chose a scrum instead. If they had kicked one it was a draw, if they'd kicked both it was a win. Both kick were hard but the choices they took were lower in my opinion.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon there was a lot to like about the defensive effort last night. (Well done Def Coach - Nick Hensley)
That included reasonably good discipline inside the Rebs' half.
I struggled to identify or understand the game plan that was in place.
Obviously, not taking penalty points was one of them.
Our forwards bashing the ball over the line is obviously another - rather than using the pace we have out wide.
The dink kicks from experienced players (Kearney and Kahui) was an obvious strategy but a low % play.
We don't appear to have any change of game plan for when the opposition is down to 14 players.
(Important as it's happening a lot this year).
But not taking a lineout - after we'd just won a penalty at the lineout - was an absolute brain fade.
Especially after Sita had come on. He makes a very good target - or decoy.
All we needed was a penalty to go to extra time (Yes, I know we lost that on the previous occasion).

I'm looking forward to the time, and I want to be there, when we see this player group play at its best.

The Forcefield

Frank Row (1)
giphy.gif

Nice interchange by Pincus & Koroibete to nearly kill the ref.

Very much line ball, maybe marginally forward, but gotta love 'on the burst'.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
How does RHP get the same sanction as Ala'alatoa? The hit on Pone left him concussed and not able to continue in the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How does RHP get the same sanction as Ala'alatoa? The hit on Pone left him concussed and not able to continue in the game

That's the going rate.........

6 weeks is the starting sanction....... reduced to 3 for a clean record.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
and yet he was able to play the following week.
Yeah well that’s in the hands of the doctors. The AFL would of stood him down for 12 days. I am happy with a medical expert reviewing these things by a case by case basis and making their mind up

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The force in one is high and the other is low and that should be taken into account.

And what scientific method are you using to calculate that?

The result of one incident is not a definitive indicator that the level of force applied was any different..........

Hence:

Shoulder > head... 6 weeks reduced to 3.

And you’re not going to receive a different answer.