• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Rnd 4 - Brumbies V Reds Gio Stad Canberra 13Mar

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, it's an interesting one. There is no way that Paisami can play a Stewart (not sure anyone can but Stewart) and seems to have been the basis a game strategy so far. I think that Paisami can play well at 12. The question is what it means in terms of team adaptation.

Interesting.

I thought Paisami played surprisingly very well for the Wallabies at 12, and wonder if there's been any request from higher up to play him there for the Reds......... potentially making way for a Paisami/Ikitau centre combination for the Wallabies?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, it's an interesting one. There is no way that Paisami can play a Stewart (not sure anyone can but Stewart) and seems to have been the basis a game strategy so far. I think that Paisami can play well at 12. The question is what it means in terms of team adaptation.

Interesting.

"Paisami is not the 12 you're looking for, move along, move along" ;)

I think he's definitely a 13. Where that leaves Jordan I don't know.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
"Paisami is not the 12 you're looking for, move along, move along" ;)

I think he's definitely a 13. Where that leaves Jordan I don't know.

I tend to agree, but in terms of broadening their skill set over the last 12 months, Paisami has done what is required.

I can see notable improvement in his passing game, and his defensive reads seem to be better (aside from the final tackle of the Rebels game).

For me, I still see Jordy as being quite lost at times and has turned the ball over plenty in the first couple of games. I keep coming back to the point that I believe his lack of game time against men, due to his injury plagued seasons coming through the RA/QRU systems have left him with a skillset that he doesn't quite understand yet. He has some flashes of absolute brilliance and then follows it up with no involvements or several mistakes. The sign of someone who doesn't know his role.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Stewart doesn't deserve to be dropped to accommodate Petaia in his current form and for a player out of position.

Stewart hasn't shown anything to me that says he needs to be in the team. He's had the chance to show his worth but hasn't been anywhere near where he was last season. Petaia has had some impact on games, while also dropping some balls he shouldn't. I feel more time will be good for him.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with y'all disagreeing... Nether Stewart nor Petaia have really taken the game by the scruff of the neck. But I think most agree Petaia has that Quade type X-Factor about him where he can win you games you have no business being in, whereas Stewart is that guy who just does the dirty unnoticed shit shoving type stuff that keep you from losing games you shouldn't.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with y'all disagreeing. Nether Stewart nor Petaia have really taken the game by the scruff of the neck. But I think most agree Petaia has that Quade type X-Factor about him where he can win you games you have no business being in, whereas Stewart is that guy who just does the dirty unnoticed shit shoving type stuff that keep you from losing games you shouldn't.

and Ewen will be the first to tell you that a key reason he was able to get the most out of QC (Quade Cooper) was because he had balance across the team - most especially with Ant Fainga'a, the unfashionable, hardworking inside centre

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
and Ewen will be the first to tell you that a key reason he was able to get the most out of QC (Quade Cooper) was because he had balance across the team - most especially with Ant Fainga'a, the unfashionable, hardworking inside centre

Comparing Quade to Petaia at this stage is a very long bow to draw anyway (not saying you are but some might be).

TBH I think Quade has more skill in his pinky than Petaia does altogether. Quade played in the most heavily scrutinized position on the field, with a play style that was completely contradictory to the other flyhalves of his era and those who had come before him. He may always have a penchant for a silly mistake, but he went on to have a very successful career and was honestly a superstar for the Reds and Wallabies for a time, and had far more influence over a game than Petaia does.

Petaia has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same ilk.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy to disagree. IMHO Stewart is an absolute gun. He may not have been able to show his silky side much this year, doesn't mean he doesn't have it. Maybe he needs to learn to work with less space...I don't know, Watch his running, especially if you go back to when he was thrown at fullback - it is very Larkham-esque he has a wonderfully deceptive foot. I reckon he could be as good as Helmet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Comparing Quade to Petaia at this stage is a very long bow to draw anyway (not saying you are but some might be).

TBH I think Quade has more skill in his pinky than Petaia does altogether. Quade played in the most heavily scrutinized position on the field, with a play style that was completely contradictory to the other flyhalves of his era and those who had come before him. He may always have a penchant for a silly mistake, but he went on to have a very successful career and was honestly a superstar for the Reds and Wallabies for a time, and had far more influence over a game than Petaia does.

Petaia has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same ilk.

chill out. Quade type xfactor was the term used, about his match winning abilities. You can back down now.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
chill out. Quade type xfactor was the term used, about his match winning abilities. You can back down now.

Mate get off your high horse. This is a discussion forum, I'm pitching my thoughts about how Petaia has been built up by some people on these forums. I even specifically mentioned this doesn't necessarily apply to you, I was simply replying to your comment as it seemed relevant.

Back yourself down before getting on the offensive so easily.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The main thing for me is that the reshuffle means you are moving the actual form centre, Paisami, out of position.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree with y'all disagreeing. Nether Stewart nor Petaia have really taken the game by the scruff of the neck. But I think most agree Petaia has that Quade type X-Factor about him where he can win you games you have no business being in, whereas Stewart is that guy who just does the dirty unnoticed shit shoving type stuff that keep you from losing games you shouldn't.

Maybe the problem with assessing Stewart is that he is not playing a "normal" game at 12.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/02/...-can-the-reds-midfield-step-up-for-australia/

Nicholas Bishop writes a great article on how the Reds midfield functions and explains the benefits of Stewart

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies team

1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Tom Ross
4. Darcy Swain
5. Cadeyrn Neville
6. Rob Valetini
7. Tom Cusack (c)
8. Pete Samu