• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Rnd 4 - Brumbies V Reds Gio Stad Canberra 13Mar

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Dane Zander – Norths
2. Alex Mafi – Bond University
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers ©
11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
12. Hunter Paisami – Wests
13. Jordan Petaia – Wests
14. Suliasi Vunivalu* – TBC
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University
19. Ryan Smith – Brothers
20. Seru Uru – Easts
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Bryce Hegarty – GPS
23. Josh Flook – Brothers

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeeeew that’s a class reds team. With Wright at 6, BPA at 2 that’s almost an all Wallabies XV. Reds by 15

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeeeew that’s a class reds team. With Wright at 6, BPA at 2 that’s almost an all Wallabies XV. Reds by 15
Brumbies side is no slouch either, and in great form.

Reds will need to be more disciplined then they have been or Brumbies will grind them down.

But I’m optimistic for a cracking match. Brumbies have been very good in Canberra, but if the Reds are going to stick to their guns with the high offloading footy than playing in Canberra might actually help in one respect at least.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Brumbies side is no slouch either, and in great form.

Reds will need to be more disciplined then they have been or Brumbies will grind them down.

But I’m optimistic for a cracking match. Brumbies have been very good in Canberra, but if the Reds are going to stick to their guns with the high offloading footy than playing in Canberra might actually help in one respect at least.

In the poker game of rugby, the Reds cards have been called. This is it boys. Game on.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I would have rather Flook at the expense of Hegarty not Stewart. Having said that IMO both Hegarty and Stewart shouldn't be in the 23 if they aren't starting (unless you need them for positional cover).

But regardless this should be an absolutely cracking game! Reds by 8+

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hegarty wins the bench utility role with his extra versatility in playing 5/8 and fullback. Stewart can play both those positions also, but I think Hegarty edges him in both.

Keen to see more of Flook, good to see the kid back from injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hegarty wins the bench utility role with his extra versatility in playing 5/8 and fullback. Stewart can play both those positions also, but I think Hegarty edges him in both.

Keen to see more of Flook, good to see the kid back from injury.

It's a bit of an odd edge though Adam. Stewart also plays 12 and would serve at 13 I suspect.

Hegarty brings playmaking, as you say from either 10 or 15. Stewart really has not been doing playmaking in 2021. It sounds like a call based around a change in strategy to me.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Is it just me or do others see that we move our players around more than the other clubs. Understand there are injuries and resting of players. Just curious.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If anything I thought the Brumbies moved their players around more. It also seems to me most of the Kiwi sides, and the Crusaders specifically appear happy to use a lot of squad rotation.

I think it is a chicken and egg thing with depth. You want the squad depth to be able to rely on any subs to come in and do their job. But unless you’re prepare to put them on the field then how do you build the depth of the squad. I don’t think Thorn has always got it right, but certainly I think he’s uncovered a few unexpected gems in the last 2 years.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Fair call. Removing Stewart from starting line up seems odd, leaving us with JOC (James O'Connor) as the only playmaker. Paisami has improved his passing and with two hard runners in the centres may well be the game plan.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Fair call. Removing Stewart from starting line up seems odd, leaving us with JOC (James O'Connor) as the only playmaker. Paisami has improved his passing and with two hard runners in the centres may well be the game plan.
Get over the advantage line and then quick ball to our quick men in space.

Looking forward to seeing what Vunivalu can do with early ball.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

If stats guru is correct, Stewart threw nil passes in round 1 and 3 in round 2. He may well have been second playmaker in past seasons but not so much this year. In fact outside of the halves there hasn't been a lot of passing but Paisami easily tops the list. As a side note there is not a lot of passing from Campbell either. Paismamu has also been carry out short kicking passes.

I'd guess that Paisami to 12 is getting closer to the game plan that you are advocating. No doubt we lose a major presence in Stewart all the same.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Interestingly though JOC (James O'Connor) seems to stand quite deep in attack using more width and space. If you're running a game plan around two hard running centres your flyhalf needs to be very flat so his runners can take the ball at the line, at speed.

We've seen already the Reds have been quite happy to change game plans pending the opposition (for mixed results) so it wouldn't surprise me to see JOC (James O'Connor) play a bit differently this weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hegarty is also the next best goal kicker in the squad after JOC (James O'Connor), so that would give him extra 'points' for the bench spot

Red Dave

Frank Row (1)
If stats guru is correct, Stewart threw nil passes in round 1 and 3 in round 2. He may well have been second playmaker in past seasons but not so much this year. In fact outside of the halves there hasn't been a lot of passing but Paisami easily tops the list. As a side note there is not a lot of passing from Campbell either. Paismamu has also been carry out short kicking passes.

I'd guess that Paisami to 12 is getting closer to the game plan that you are advocating. No doubt we lose a major presence in Stewart all the same.

Agree, Paisami is the second playmaker. Stewart has provided value but not in that capacity.