• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Rnd 4 - Brumbies V Reds Gio Stad Canberra 13Mar

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Fair call. Removing Stewart from starting line up seems odd, leaving us with JOC (James O'Connor) as the only playmaker. Paisami has improved his passing and with two hard runners in the centres may well be the game plan.

I think Tate and Jock have shown they're more than capable of playing heads up rugby to dictate where there's gaps and ways to manage the game.

Paisami has also shown enough that he's capable of distributing the ball via offload/passing/kicking.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
confirmed that Stewart is out for disciplinary issues. A few little things apparently, but the final straw was turning up late and intoxicated to the post Rebels medical check.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
confirmed that Stewart is out for disciplinary issues. A few little things apparently, but the final straw was turning up late and intoxicated to the post Rebels medical check.
Opens the door for a backline change that may see Stewart on the outer for some time ...... and he’ll have no one to blame but himself .

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Still, that’s a shame. Hope he shakes it off. Quality player. Last year was something of a break out year and whilst this year has some additional challenges he has plenty to offer.

Red Dave

Frank Row (1)

Wow, not that I have any inside knowledge but he always seemed a real cleanskin

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seems very silly from Stewart, although he may have deeper issues. One of the only non Wallabies in that backline, he was always going to be under pressure to retain his spot.

Sometimes these guys who feel like they’re being squeezed out decide to act up a bit so the decision is made for them, and they don’t have the stigma of being dropped for bad performance. Hopefully not the case with Stewart and he comes back stronger.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lefty's Apple Whiskey's have done a number on me and do suddenly catch up to one post Reds game so I can emphasize with Stewart!

Can you still get those?? I feel like Lefty's has changed hands and shut down ten times since I last went there a few years ago

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think the new backline will be absolutely thumping along. Paisami will put in a shift that will make you forget Stewart in a heart beat. I think Brumbies are in trouble. Muirhead has made 11 tackles out of 20 so far this season and has Vunivalu running down his wing. I’m excited.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I do worry that Paisami will be found out in defense along with the already dubious Petaia. James O'Connor might be the best defender in the backline, I'm a little bit worried about the Reds defense - not that anyone is an obvious liability but they just lack any out and out defenders.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Disappointing, but he's a young bloke, young blokes do silly things (I should know!) hopefully this kick up the bum will sort him out.
I think management need to look at the events last Friday night where a few of the lads caught up at Fridays in the city, before coming down on Stewart for his behaviour. Good old Teflon.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do worry that Paisami will be found out in defense along with the already dubious Petaia. James O'Connor might be the best defender in the backline, I'm a little bit worried about the Reds defense - not that anyone is an obvious liability but they just lack any out and out defenders.
I’m intrigued. How many tackles have Petaia & Paisami missed this year. Historically Petaia’s been an outstanding defender and reads the attack very well. I can’t even recall his defence being a problem for the Wallabies last year - all his problems as far as I can remember were in attack.

Certainly Paisami had some alignment issues initially last year, but he got better as the year went on too.

They are against a very good centre pairing - so they will have their work cut out, but I can’t remember either of them having issues in defence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Based on these Paisami is at 71%, Petaia is at 91%. Stats aren’t everything, but certainly on those you’d like Paisami to be a bit higher. Petaia seems fine though and I can’t recall and major issues.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s/australia/players/jordan-petaia/statistics/

https://www.rugbypass.com/players/hunter-paisami/

Like I said, the whole Brumbies backline is in form so they’ll be under pressure but I think they’ll be fine.

Matt To'omua certainly rates Paisami in defence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Based on these Paisami is at 71%, Petaia is at 91%. Stats aren’t everything, but certainly on those you’d like Paisami to be a bit higher. Petaia seems fine though and I can’t recall and major issues.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s/australia/players/jordan-petaia/statistics/

Like I said, the whole Brumbies backline is in form so they’ll be under pressure but I think they’ll be fine.

they might be under a different type of preasure.

Capture.JPG

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To an extent Reg. But I don’t think Simone is a particularly bad defender.

As always, a lot will depend on whose forwards are on top. It’s easier to rack up a few missed tackles when your going backwards.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Pulling it together from stat guru:
Petaia
Rebels game: 0 tackle 1 miss; Tahs game: 8 tackles 0 miss: total 8/9 = 89%
Paisami
Rebels game: 4 tackles 2 miss; Tahs game: 4 tackles 2 miss: total 8/12 = 67%
Stewart
Rebels game: 3 tackles 1 miss; Tahs game 2 tackles 1 miss; total 5/7 = 71%

Nothing there between Stewart and Paisami in terms of success plenty in terms of action. Petaia seems to be doing far better than some are suggesting.

Of course it's two games. All the same I suspect that Paisami could do fine if not much better than that.