• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Rnd 4 - Brumbies V Reds Gio Stad Canberra 13Mar

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You'd expect Stewart should make the 23, although the staff seam to rate Hegarty much more highly than the fans. I'm not sure how covers wing / fullback if one of the back 3 goes down.

If the Reds want to win the comp they've gotta prove they can go down to the ACT and shut out the Brumbies.

Having said that I don't think anyone (even the Crusaders) could put too many on the Brumbs Reds by no more than 8.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stewart and Hegarty can change the shape of the game -

hegerty comes on as a 2nd dynamic playmaker/kicker @ 15. Campnell out or to the wing with a fijian out.

Stewart can come as 2nd play maker/kicker @ 12. Paisami to 13 with Petaia out or to the wing with a fijian out.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't HATE seeing Droasesor Grealy in the 23, but probably not against the Brumbies... I always feel like Hegarty is a bit of a waste of a bench spot, but given it's the Brumbies perhaps they do go with the stability of both Stewart & Hegarty.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hunter doesn't want to play 12, he doesn't have all the skills that I believe a 12 needs, and frankly, he is a better 13 than Jordy. Put Jordy on the wing and Vuni on the bench. Also, Henry is much more likely than Grealy to debut this year. I think Hegarty (lovely guy) will probably get phased out for Henry, and next year, Jock will be defending his position with Grealy in the wings at fullback cover. The way we have nurtured talent like Hunter is the way to do it. Jordy has struggled with injuries, and poor Josh Flook got injured within minutes. These boys are all bloody talented, but managing them well is key to building a successful ground roots franchise.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wonder how much the upcoming Junior Wallaby camps will effect the young guns in the senior squads and their shot at game time ?

First camp is on the GC this Sunday .

At the moment only Vaihu and Pasitoa are in match day squads , but there are quite a few on the fringe .

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sure where Gervais heard Hunter doesn't want to play 12, I'd say he's got or developing all the tools to be a World Class 12 (imagine Kerevi at 13 outside him). But my concern would be the defensive decision making & organisation without Stewart, that puts a lot pressure on O'Connor to organise the backline in both attack and defense not to mention the gaps that Stewart would just plug up.
But the Petiai Pisami combo is extremely tempting, especially if you get Vinu and Daugunu on the wings! Personally I'd have moved Jordie to the bench, he hasn't impressed really yet this season (not that Stewart has set the world on fire either), but it's six of one half dozen of the other.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who will Reds props be if Zander and Fotuaika are out?

1. Hoopert 3. Tupou

17? 18. Nonggoor

* Ruan is also THP so not sure who it backup LHP unless JP is actually back...?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Might just go Ruan and Nonggor on the bench, not ideal but better to have a THP playing LH then the other way around

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm tipping a Reds victory by 10-12 points.

I think the Brumbies will be properly rocked with the suspension of AAA (as the Reds would be if Tupou was gone) and the Reds have been ticking along in low gear now for a few weeks but still doing enough to get wins. Thorn will have sharpened them up during the week off, worked on their areas lacking execution.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hopefully a great game but a Reds win in Canberra would be a surprise. If Hunter and Jordy are in the centres it will make for a great mid field battle.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Woah! I never thought I would hear these words BR.
I want this to be a good win for our team but the Brumbies can bring it home when the opposing team gains too much confidence. I still think it will be a close match and the team with heart getting the W. The forwards in the scrum and the penalty count will determine the outcome this weekend. Reds by 5.

So, you're saying the ref will decide the result.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dirty indeed if Stewart is dropped. Completely undeserved and very bad for their structure.

Crippled QLD by 5

Yeah, it's an interesting one. There is no way that Paisami can play a Stewart (not sure anyone can but Stewart) and seems to have been the basis a game strategy so far. I think that Paisami can play well at 12. The question is what it means in terms of team adaptation.

Interesting.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Still believe Reds are favourites, but noticed some i teresting stats on the SuperXV site.

The Brumbies have won the most turnovers (16) in the comp so far, and Hansen and Banks have the most run metres. Not a coincidence at all that they haven't yet had their bye. ;)