• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 7 - Waratahs v Brumbies

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wow great game by the Waratahs, missed the first 20 but the Tahs team was really giving it to the Brumbies. Massive in defence and physicality.

Both teams have given Rennie some reason to reconsider his Wallaby squad.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
A much improved performance all round by the Tahs. Absolutely the worst performance by the Brumbies this year. Nonetheless, comfortably in the lead when Dan made a lot of changes and I'm confident they'd have won easily had Nic White stayed out there another 15 - 20 minutes. Clearly best on ground until he was replaced.

about as expected.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
bit much Hey.. Banks better then Maddocks another. Neville was Massive.. Murihead and Ramm even. Wright was sensational in his return. The TAHs aimed up but still.

Yes I was a little over exuberant at the Waratahs actually looking like a pro rugby team and playing with purpose. Still way too many errors though. BR says it was the coach making subs that nearly lost the game for you, in our case I’ll concede it was too many mistakes. There were 3 or 4 times we could have scored but instead ended up back at the other end of the field due to basic errors.

Anyway, if I was to select a rep team based on last nights game it would be:

1. Bell
2. Fainga'a
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Frost
5. Neville
6. Sinclair
7. Tizzano
8. Harris
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Muirhead
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Wright
15. Banks

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes I was a little over exuberant at the Waratahs actually looking like a pro rugby team and playing with purpose. Still way too many errors though. BR says it was the coach making subs that nearly lost the game for you, in our case I’ll concede it was too many mistakes. There were 3 or 4 times we could have scored but instead ended up back at the other end of the field due to basic errors.

Anyway, if I was to select a rep team based on last nights game it would be:

1. Bell

3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

I must have watched a different game to you.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that game - not least because no one wants to watch a group of young guys struggling like he Tahs have been this year and that has been their best game with a number of the young guys prominent. It’s only one game but if the Tahs can keep those sort of performances up there is nothing but upside for Australian rugby.

Thought Gordon, Bell, Harris, Perese & Foketi all particularly good. Harrison made a couple of errors, but did plenty of good stuff too.

I suspect Brumbies will cop some criticism - mainly because the closeness of the game was a big surprise, but they won and sometimes you take the tough win and roll on. Tom Wright excellent in his return. Muirhead good too. I think Banks is having his best season. I feel he suffers a bit because from early in his career he’s been compared to Latham. He’s never been that level and he’s solid rather than spectacular- but he is a very solid & consistent player.

ShuteFan1

Peter Burge (5)
I reckon the Tahs completely out enthused the brumbies in all facets . First time this year they had a bit of intent with their running and defence line . Forced brumbies into a number of errors with good linspeed in second half.
Attitude adjustment ?

To play devils advocate as a tahs supporter .
We did have almost double the possession , received 15 penalties to 9 and the brumbies played 20min of game a man down and we still only managed a pick and drive try, charge down try and try against 13men in the 80th min ( few missed opportunities as well) . We seemed good when we kept it simple and direct but our attack structure doesn't seem to click or create that many opportunities .

Reactions: TSR

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I suspect Brumbies will cop some criticism - mainly because the closeness of the game was a big surprise, but they won and sometimes you take the tough win and roll on. Tom Wright excellent in his return. Muirhead good too. I think Banks is having his best season. I feel he suffers a bit because from early in his career he’s been compared to Latham. He’s never been that level and he’s solid rather than spectacular- but he is a very solid & consistent player.

Definitely Banks' best game on attack in a while, but his out of hand kicking left a lot to be desired and I'm still yet to see him throw a pass.

Clearly outplayed Maddocks though, who was atrocious on defense. Particularly disappointing after how well he played last week.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Definitely mixed emotions about that game, went out there hoping for a respectable showing left a little deflated we didn’t win but enthused by the positive signs. So many opportunities although ball retention in tight contact was really poor, like when Porecki went through got his head through the line only to drop it. Holmes did likewise in close as did a number of others. So really pleased with the showing and the improvement but likewise disappointed that a golden opportunity like that was let slip.

Reactions: TSR

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I was impressed with our pigs. Many young but were very impressive against the benchmark pack of the last couple of years and will only improve. Gordon has been sorely missed and was immense. Our back 3 weren’t great wouldn’t mind having a crack at getting Wright back home.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So was that the Brumbies getting a little bit cocky or the Waratahs actually not being utter rubbish, or both?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Definitely Banks' best game on attack in a while, but his out of hand kicking left a lot to be desired and I'm still yet to see him throw a pass.

Clearly outplayed Maddocks though, who was atrocious on defense. Particularly disappointing after how well he played last week.
Maddocks was alright, he got caught over tracking twice but that’s more of an inside issue to force the 15 to cover in such a way. On the Muirhead one he actually did a fairly decent job in forcing Muirhead back in to contact of which Newsome had a shocking attempt which should of been a simple tackle.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well done to the Tahs players. They finally showed some heart and spirit out there.

They didn't drop their heads and give up like recent weeks and they kept trying.

Attack showed improvements and some good line speed.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Finally, a team with the courage to consistently stand off the opposition's line out and rolling maul.
Plenty to argue about re ref's instructions, when to move in, how the attacking team deals with it etc but standing off several times in one game puts a lot more mental pressure on the attacking team.
If the 'Tahs keep doing this successfully others will follow.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I didn’t think that the attacking team was allowed to advance in formation in that situation. I thought the ball carrier had to detach and run themselves, at least until they made contact.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Basically, yes. And the problem then is that it becomes subjective. How fast before it’s a fast moving flying wedge.