• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Good News about St George.

As for the other, as mentioned before lower the Club Champ points to make lower grades as important to the Club and there's little value in paying players.

Are club championship point really that valued by Div 1/2 Clubs? I would have thought winning the comp is a higher priority than club champions.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Are club championship point really that valued by Div 1/2 Clubs? I would have thought winning the comp is a higher priority than club champions.

Yep. A single 1st grade win can be the difference between promotion or relegation. regardles of the success of the rest of the Club.

That extra grade translates and the expectation of quality games translates into a $10K-$20K difference in bar revenue between Div 1 and Div 2. Factor in the improved exposure of Div 1 improves (albeit minimally) sponsorship exposure and the financial rewards for going up a division are very tangible.

Plus the recruitment benefit of being in Div 1 is much stronger.

Flatten the points and you will have stonger Clubs going up and down, not just stronger first grades. Why do you think so many teams have struggled in recent years.

They have great 1st grades that got them promoted then struggled with the depth required to field the extra side and support the punishment that players get in Division 1. It not a coincidence.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Yep. A single 1st grade win can be the difference between promotion or relegation. regardles of the success of the rest of the Club.

That extra grade translates and the expectation of quality games translates into a $10K-$20K difference in bar revenue between Div 1 and Div 2. Factor in the improved exposure of Div 1 improves (albeit minimally) sponsorship exposure and the financial rewards for going up a division are very tangible.

Plus the recruitment benefit of being in Div 1 is much stronger.

Flatten the points and you will have stonger Clubs going up and down, not just stronger first grades. Why do you think so many teams have struggled in recent years.

They have great 1st grades that got them promoted then struggled with the depth required to field the extra side and support the punishment that players get in Division 1. It not a coincidence.

Never a truer statement Rugby Central. Most Div 2 teams go up on the back of a strong 1st/2nd grade or 1st Grade/Colts. However in Div 1 this isnt enough. You need 6 strong teams to stay up.

Recent history

Kings (Club champs 2008) relegated after 1 season
Lindifeld (Club champs 2009) lasted 2 seasons
Barker (Club champs 2010) lasted 2 seasons
Hunters Hill (Club champs 2011) lasted 2 seasons
Balmain are in their 2nd season in Div 1 and i am sure they will stay up.

I will watch Petersham with great interest this year to see if they can stay up.

Not many clubs have gone through relegation and gone straight back up. Check out some of the dropped teams

UNSW very strong club but havent been able to come back after being relegated in 2008
Forest, another strong club that have been in Div 2 for a few seasons now.

Relegation is not kind to clubs!

I agree with rugby central, lower the points for 1st grade and make 2nd, 3rd and Colts worth more. LEAVE 4th grade as is, we dont want clubs stacking 4th grade to win titles

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Those who think BOBS are a chance of relegation should note that they beat Iggies ( DIV 1) in firsts and colts last monday night in a trial. Before everyone says that Iggies were missing players, BOBS were playing with a second grade backline.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Those who think BOBS are a chance of relegation should note that they beat Iggies ( DIV 1) in firsts and colts last monday night in a trial. Before everyone says that Iggies were missing players, BOBS were playing with a second grade backline.

Crashy that is just what i want to hear! Do you think they will post team lists again on the clubs website? Good to see the new website up and running!

Paul Bearer

Frank Row (1)
Rumours have it Nsw subbies coaches for 2014 unimpressed with what they've seen from the weekend. Regulars of the rep team underperforming. Look for a changing of the guard..

bluegoldblue

Stan Wickham (3)
Brothers colts, 2's and 1's all got up with a bonus point victories over blue mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Very early days but looks like first and second grade in Division 4 will be a four horse race between Irish, Quins, Redfield and Blacktown. Third grade looking a bit more unpredictable at this early stage.

GF rematch this week between Redfield and Irish, should be a few cracking games in all grades next week. Our second grade is looking a lot stronger than last year so will be interesting to see how they match up against ROB who were, if I recall correctly, minor premiers in Div 5 second grade last year.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Very early days but looks like first and second grade in Division 4 will be a four horse race between Irish, Quins, Redfield and Blacktown. Third grade looking a bit more unpredictable at this early stage.

GF rematch this week between Redfield and Irish, should be a few cracking games in all grades next week. Our second grade is looking a lot stronger than last year so will be interesting to see how they match up against ROB who were, if I recall correctly, minor premiers in Div 5 second grade last year.

Should be a cracker this weekend. Should be fairly evenly matched across all grades I think.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Any surprise results or upsets over the weekend?

I notice no Div 6 side defeated any of the old Div 5 clubs.

From my point of view the only major shock was Lindfield getting up over Hunters Hill. I thought Hunters after being in Div 1 would have got up. Maybe a rebuilding year for them?

Well done to Forest on getting up at Oatley! Congrats to Blueys for getting a couple of wins at Cbobs

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting looking through the team sheets that have been posted so far.

The dirty reds have:

Issiah Pine, Gray Viane and Jake Havebond running around for them.

Balmain have De Barts running around for them

No Will Brame this year for Forest?

Interesting recruit for St Pats with Chad Maher playing for them. Is this the same bloke who used to play for Blacktown?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting looking through the team sheets that have been posted so far.

The dirty reds have:

Issiah Pine, Gray Viane and Jake Havebond running around for them.

Balmain have De Barts running around for them

No Will Brame this year for Forest?

Interesting recruit for St Pats with Chad Maher playing for them. Is this the same bloke who used to play for Blacktown?

OB, for Drummoyne, the sleeper will be inside centre Bradley Cross. Big Kiwi lad who is a tunneller. Played a couple of games at the start of the 2011? season with the Epping Rams, but couldn't commit due to work. Dude is a gun.

De Barts played for Balmain last year, Chad Maher has been at St Pats for a couple of seasons now. Went there to test himself.

Quite a bit of player movement in Div 1 though…..

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Div 6 Alexandria Dukes v Burraneer

It was a great way to start the season with a win. The Duke were solid winners with a 29-24 defeat of Burraneer.

The game was always going to be solid with 2 of the bigger packs in the Meldrum cup. The score line suggests a closer game but the Dukes were by far the better team all over the park. Only some missed conversations from Alexandria and a couple of penalties from Buraneer keeping the result close.

Defence was key for the Dukes and there were some massive hits in the backs and the forwards.The Dukes really ground the game down to their own pace, and whilst Burraneer had the Lions share of the ball they could not get through the defence. The half-time score was 22-10 (4 tries to 1) and got the scvore out to 29-10 mid way through the 2nd half but a couple of lapses at the breakdown saw Burraneer get an opportunity to get back in the game with 20 minutes to go. In this time they scored two tries, the one on full-time was after the Dukes had defended bravely for 10 phases.

Referees Points
3pts - Dukes 12 – Ryan Bowring
2pts – Burraneer 2 – Daniel Kritzler
1pt – Dukes 7 – Cameron Cooper

Next week we take on St George.

Status
Not open for further replies.