• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone else going to pick a team? Or we just bagging the people that do pick them

Surely a div 4 team or a Div 5/6 team would be interesting

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

1. Fekitoa (Unsw)
2. Locker (Barker)
3. Crosilla (Valley)
4. Walsh (UNSW)
5. Russo (Hills)
6. Jacobson (Valley)
7. Brinnand (Hills)
8. Viiga (Valley)
9. Reimer (Lindfield)
10. D Tully (Valley)
11. Groom (Newport)
12. Fleetwood (Valley)
13. Taylor (Unsw)
14. Fretten (Newport)
15. Robinson (Unsw)

hahahahahah Only two from the Premiers who lost one game all year?

9 has to be Seb Allen, 10. Jeremy Allen and Sam Groom who was Div 2's best has to be at fullback where he won his award. Probaly argue for 3 or 4 from Newport in the forwards too.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
hahahahahah Only two from the Premiers who lost one game all year?

9 has to be Seb Allen, 10. Jeremy Allen and Sam Groom who was Div 2's best has to be at fullback where he won his award. Probaly argue for 3 or 4 from Newport in the forwards too.
Depends on how you're putting it together. The newport 9 was really good, but a lot of his stuff only comes off because the guys in the team know it's coming, mostly because they've played together for a long time. If you pick the newport 9 and 10 pretty much the rest of the backline has to be from Newport, thats the only way it works.

Could probably put together an argument for the newport 3 & 8 to get a gig, but after that really??? Without the 3 and 8 and that backline that forward pack wouldn't be able to do anything. The 7 is good, but he's really not a 7.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Boring day at work - So thought Id help out Div 4
This was based mainly off the handful of the final games I saw and stealing some names off FuseSport.
@Prodigy @Pfitzy
Happy to have your take on these. A few Epping lads but couldnt find a spot for any Rouse Hill boys.

I would have done Div 5 -But couldnt pick 14 Menai players and Curtis Scott.

1. German Haeffeli
2. Hugh Morgan
3. James Willets
4. Alasdair Forrest
5. Ben Stokes
6. Daniel Abrams
7. Harry Byrnes
8. Angus Mclelland
9. Toby Mcgee
10. Franco Guimil
11.Joe Naulawavu
12. Nick Stubbs
13. Amena Bushell
14. Siga McKay
15. Josh Crookston

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
couldnt find a spot for any Rouse Hill boys.

There is no Rouse Hill. Only Renegades Rugby ;)

I was basically just going to say: as many Oysters as you need, throw in the McLean Medal winner and some Epping boys, as well as some Savers in the Tight Five as their scrum was pretty solid.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is no Rouse Hill. Only Renegades Rugby ;)

I was basically just going to say: as many Oysters as you need, throw in the McLean Medal winner and some Epping boys, as well as some Savers in the Tight Five as their scrum was pretty solid.
Sorry Pfitzy - Couldnt fit a spot for the Renegades boys,

Side note @Prodigy - How did your man win the McLean Medal - Only saw him on 5-6 team sheets? Was he that dominant?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Boring day at work - So thought Id help out Div 4
This was based mainly off the handful of the final games I saw and stealing some names off FuseSport.
@Prodigy @Pfitzy
Happy to have your take on these. A few Epping lads but couldnt find a spot for any Rouse Hill boys.

I would have done Div 5 -But couldnt pick 14 Menai players and Curtis Scott.

1. German Haeffeli
2. Hugh Morgan
3. James Willets
4. Alasdair Forrest
5. Ben Stokes
6. Daniel Abrams
7. Harry Byrnes
8. Angus Mclelland
9. Toby Mcgee
10. Franco Guimil
11.Joe Naulawavu
12. Nick Stubbs
13. Amena Bushell
14. Siga McKay
15. Josh Crookston
Thanks for the challenge there, @Eastcoast. The top three teams were definitely dominant in the competition, so they will make up the majority of the Division 4 team. Given my club allegiances and some bias, I am going to limit myself to five players from any team. With that, here is my Division 4 team of the year:
1. Franco Velasquez (Savers)
2. Hugh Morgan (Oysters)
3. David Lyons (Savers)
4. Alasdair Forrest (Epping)
5. Ben Stokes (Merrylands)
6. Carlos Tempone (Savers)
7. Harry Byrnes (Epping)
8. Angus McClelland (Oysters)
9. Roy Harrison (Oysters)/Toby Newton-McGee (Epping)
10. Jack Remond (Oysters)
11. Geff Marshall (Epping)
12. Nick Stubbs (Oysters)
13. Mena Bushell (Epping)
14. Jonathan McKenzie (Redfield)
15. Gaston Arias (Savers)

The Savers front row are amazing, both in the set piece and around the park. Could have added Haeffell there.
The second row are a pair of toilers. You won't see them do the flashy things but they get through a lot of work.
The back row is interchangeable and dynamic. Tempone was quiet against us, but I've seen him do amazing things. Byrnes is very rightly the McLean Medallist and a game breaker. McClelland is an amazing leader and great all-round player - has been for a long time.
A great lineout with Forrest, Byrnes, McClelland and Tempone all capable jumpers.
Halfback - I can't split Harrison and my own runt, TNM. Both have great vision and passes.
The combo between Remond and Stubbs I couldn't break. Bushell is a line breaking freak. Arias was a fantastic addition to the Savers team at the back end of the season, given his professional 7s and 15s experience. McKenzie was a solid comtributor for a very good Redfield team, who were a bit unlucky not to have more players listed and Marshall is a tryscoring freak. For a little guy, he packs a hell of a punch, is tough in contact and doesn't give an inch.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks for the challenge there, @Eastcoast. The top three teams were definitely dominant in the competition, so they will make up the majority of the Division 4 team. Given my club allegiances and some bias, I am going to limit myself to five players from any team. With that, here is my Division 4 team of the year:
1. Franco Velasquez (Savers)
2. Hugh Morgan (Oysters)
3. David Lyons (Savers)
4. Alasdair Forrest (Epping)
5. Ben Stokes (Merrylands)
6. Carlos Tempone (Savers)
7. Harry Byrnes (Epping)
8. Angus McClelland (Oysters)
9. Roy Harrison (Oysters)/Toby Newton-McGee (Epping)
10. Jack Remond (Oysters)
11. Geff Marshall (Epping)
12. Nick Stubbs (Oysters)
13. Mena Bushell (Epping)
14. Jonathan McKenzie (Redfield)
15. Gaston Arias (Savers)

The Savers front row are amazing, both in the set piece and around the park. Could have added Haeffell there.
The second row are a pair of toilers. You won't see them do the flashy things but they get through a lot of work.
The back row is interchangeable and dynamic. Tempone was quiet against us, but I've seen him do amazing things. Byrnes is very rightly the McLean Medallist and a game breaker. McClelland is an amazing leader and great all-round player - has been for a long time.
A great lineout with Forrest, Byrnes, McClelland and Tempone all capable jumpers.
Halfback - I can't split Harrison and my own runt, TNM. Both have great vision and passes.
The combo between Remond and Stubbs I couldn't break. Bushell is a line breaking freak. Arias was a fantastic addition to the Savers team at the back end of the season, given his professional 7s and 15s experience. McKenzie was a solid comtributor for a very good Redfield team, who were a bit unlucky not to have more players listed and Marshall is a tryscoring freak. For a little guy, he packs a hell of a punch, is tough in contact and doesn't give an inch.
Great Analysis -

Anyone on here from Div 5 to give it a crack?

No one else had a shot at Div 1 either - Surely the @The Waverley Walrus could have a shot?

When do we start the shit talk for 2023?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Long time lurker first time poster.

What are peoples thoughts on the viability of localised mid-week 10 a side comps through summer, maybe 5-10 week comp in the early months of the year depending on club numbers.

Obviously another big commitment for volunteers, and ground availability an issue, but might keep players engaged in the club through the off season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Long time lurker first time poster.

What are peoples thoughts on the viability of localised mid-week 10 a side comps through summer, maybe 5-10 week comp in the early months of the year depending on club numbers.

Obviously another big commitment for volunteers, and ground availability an issue, but might keep players engaged in the club through the off season.

Good idea. I reckon the growing number of preseason 7s and 10s tournaments are going to keep some clubs busy as it is. There is also the question of insurance and ground availability.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
Great Analysis -

Anyone on here from Div 5 to give it a crack?

No one else had a shot at Div 1 either - Surely the @The Waverley Walrus could have a shot?

When do we start the shit talk for 2023?

been taking some time out from the forum, or as I call it Pfitzy’s memoirs. Interested to hear your thoughts on 2023 Eastcoast - what excuse will subbies have for not relegating Drummoyne? Petersham and Knox all but confirmed.

1BD7AAFC-864A-4227-8D27-BEC40C78A974.jpeg

div1 team of the year - I’ve done my best to include players outside of the East but really there shouldn’t be any.

1. Waverley
2. Colleagues
3. Knox
4. Waverley
5. Colleagues
6. Petersham
7. Colleagues
8. Waverley
9. Colleagues
10. Colleagues
11. Hunters Hill
12. Waverley
13. Colleagues
14. Drummoyne
15. Mosman

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If this is true how would a team like Petersham fair in Div 2? What is the gap between divisions at the upper end

Not much if Hunters and St Pats are anything to go by?

Thing is, the season was coming out of Covid so it's hard to judge IMHO.

Newport and UNSW look strong. Valley were very good in First grade through the season. Lindfield were competitive as well.

Rising tide lifts all boats etc

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2 2023

Lindfield
Drummoyne
Epping
Newport
Hills
Hawkesbury Valley
UNSW
Knox (do subbies give them an opportunity to rebuild in DIV 2 or despatch them to DIv 5 to start again as a one team club?)
* If not KNOBs maybe Harlequinns?