• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 2 Semi Finals Preview

1st grade
UNSW vs Hawkesbury V
: Only clash this year resulted in a 45-21 victory to HV. Can see a similar result coming Saturday with a strong HV result, as along with Newport these two teams are a class above in Barraclough
Newport vs Lindfield: Lindfield will be praying for rain all week to try and nullify Newports sparkling backline. Sefton was a bog last week and is not at semi final standard. Newport victories 41-10 and 29-17, the last game being 3 weeks ago when Lindfield scored two late tries in last 5 mins. But having watched Gordon beat Norths yesterday anything is possible in finals footy. Newport should win and win well with a Breakers victory by 15+ (unless it pisses down and it will be closer).

2nd grade
UNSW vs Newport:
UNSW edged out a tight victory in the teams only clash but Newport were down signifcant cattle with a covid outbreak impacting players across the grades. UNSW late season form has been strong and they will go in justifed favourities but think if Newport are at full strength they can overcome this challenge. My blue eye says Breakers but I will go with UNSW in a very tight affair.
Lindfield vs Hills: Old Soldier were deserved Minor premiers and go in heavy favourites. My only concern is game fitness as they havent played for 3 weeks but they should have enough talent to see of a gallant Hills outfit.

Colts
Lindfield vs Hills:
Old Soldier edged out a 8-5 victory mid season and Hills will like their chances of an upset. Question marks remain over Lindfields backline defence but I think a forward game beckons with Lindfield heading to the big dance.
Newport vs Easts: Easts inflicted one of only two losses for the Breakers and are a real chance of getting the biscuits here. This game will come down to a touch of class from someone to secure a victory. Head says Easts but heart says Breakers...just by 1

3rd grade
Newport vs UNSW:
Minor premiers should have too much firepower for UNSW and should grind out a solid victory even though their only season loss was to the students. Saturday will have a very different Newport side to that mid season loss.
Hills vs Lindfield: Hills will be way too tough for old soldier and a 10+ victory awaits for Hills.
Looks like it will be a good day for Newport.
The matches of the day for me look to be Newport and Easts in colts and UNSW v HV in 1st grade.
Will the Easts colts side see a trickle down effect from their 3rd colts premiership over the weekend? Newport have been good all year, and I think they deserve a spot in the big one.
UNSW v HV looks another close fixture. UNSW are coming off the bye and HV off a tough loss to minor premiers Newport and then a soft second half to Barker. I think this will be closer than you have indicated, both with mobile packs and speed and skill out wide. Both teams will feel they deserve a spot to play for the Barraclough - rugby to be the winner.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like it will be a good day for Newport.
The matches of the day for me look to be Newport and Easts in colts and UNSW v HV in 1st grade.
Will the Easts colts side see a trickle down effect from their 3rd colts premiership over the weekend? Newport have been good all year, and I think they deserve a spot in the big one.
UNSW v HV looks another close fixture. UNSW are coming off the bye and HV off a tough loss to minor premiers Newport and then a soft second half to Barker. I think this will be closer than you have indicated, both with mobile packs and speed and skill out wide. Both teams will feel they deserve a spot to play for the Barraclough - rugby to be the winner.
As someone close with Easts, yes they will.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding is that once they go up to third grade colts, they are no longer eligible.
Im sure even subbies admin aren't capable of allowing a mockery of a comp if Easts were to run out their 3rd grade.....oh hold on. Anyway Newport will just have to beat who shows up regardless.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 1 - Colts Friday night on the Plastique. Grade matches on Woollahra #1 and #2 Saturday.

Weather for the eastern suburbs looking a mite dodgy in the leadup, and while it doesn't appear to be a lot in it in terms of volume, combined with a full day of matches on Woollahra #2, won't make for a happy groundskeeper come Monday morning.

1661910978463.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 2 - away from the coast the weather is a little more Spring-like. Still some rain but lower volumes and percentages:

1661911352605.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And why would the ref ask Savers if they wanted the YC?! Thats was simply not on here...

There's an easy explanation, watching the video : https://nswrugby.tv/rugby-union/suburban-rugby/div-4-1st-grade-mclean-cup/216248/

Go to about 1:33:05 where Savers have the ball inside their half. Game clock says 77:20
At the next tackle, Epping 14 on the ground playing at the ball - maybe thinking he'd ripped it.
Whistle blows, and ref indicates not rolling.
One of the Savers' players was looking to tap and play on quickly.
As he's doing so, Epping 14 gets up and pushes Savers ?22?, and the ref goes the double-blast straight away.
Ref is walking to the mark, Savers ?6? gestures and must have said something.
Ref - who is already reaching for his pocket - responds with "Do you want the yellow card or not?"

Not sure anything controversial is going on there. He's made his mind up about the decision and is probably sick of players from both sides giving him advice.

EDIT: worth noting Black 6 was a little objectionable when he got the yellow card earlier in the game, so if he was chirping a lot it is no wonder the ref was a little short with him.

Last edited:

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
There's an easy explanation, watching the video : https://nswrugby.tv/rugby-union/suburban-rugby/div-4-1st-grade-mclean-cup/216248/

Go to about 1:33:05 where Savers have the ball inside their half. Game clock says 77:20
At the next tackle, Epping 14 on the ground playing at the ball - maybe thinking he'd ripped it.
Whistle blows, and ref indicates not rolling.
One of the Savers' players was looking to tap and play on quickly.
As he's doing so, Epping 14 gets up and pushes Savers ?22?, and the ref goes the double-blast straight away.
Ref is walking to the mark, Savers ?6? gestures and must have said something.
Ref - who is already reaching for his pocket - responds with "Do you want the yellow card or not?"

Not sure anything controversial is going on there. He's made his mind up about the decision and is probably sick of players from both sides giving him advice.
Spot on here. Nothing controversial at all, the ref was simply saying “do you want the yellow” as a way of communicating Savers had the advantage and they better control themselves.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Then you obviously missed the Epping player try and kick the Savers #10 while he was on the ground...
When I have time, I will get the game time from the replay and repost it here...

You obviously missed the bit where I said "some of which weren't that dangerous", indicating that I found some of them to actually be dangerous and worthy of sanction.

I saw the incident to which you refer; know exactly where it is in the clip.

However, I'm not discussing it because I'm a firm believer in letting the onfield team sort it out. Short of that, the post-match observation from both clubs will deliver a citing, or it won't. At this point any citings might still be in flight so it isn't my place to stick my oar in.

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watched a few of the finals over the week at work.

Div 2- Some good games in the higher grades - Lindfield and HV a cut above. Hills and Barker just prolonged their Mad Monday by 1 week and lucky to get an extra game. Should be good games this week. Newport HV GF???

Div 4 - The amount of diving that went on in those games was ridiculous. Players staying down to get a Penalty and then jumping up once given and playing on was ridiculous. Manly 10 was lucky not to have a blue card the amount of times he went down, as with the Redfield 15 in 2's. The Oysters Redfield first grade game put me to sleep. Are those lights match quality???

Div 1 Wrap to come - Love Finals time in September!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 - Kentwell.

HH - Petersham. Was a good account last week. Both teams tried to play around the mud, so this week on the beautiful synthetic surface should be different. Rain wont impact this one. Petersham have some solid ball runners and good structure, although we should have enough in the tank to win by 7.

Mosman - St Pats. I can smell an ambush coming for Mosman. Pats lose 8 games in the year and still playing finals football. Pats have a solid enough structure and if they get a few calls their way, could lead to Mosman chasing the game which I dont feel is their strong suit. Close one either way. Ill back an ambush which Mosman will sneak away from. Mosman by 1 after the bell.

Whoever wins Mosman and Pats will beat Colleagues in week 2.

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
That wouldn't be difficult to achieve... From what I have heard, Easts look after Woollahra - as synthetic grounds do require regular upkeep and maintenance, whereas Latham does not receive such luxuries.
I haven’t played on Latham but have played at Easts. Quite like the synthetic turf, found it easier to get traction in the scrum vs the average grass field.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Mosman - St Pats. I can smell an ambush coming for Mosman. Pats lose 8 games in the year and still playing finals football. Pats have a solid enough structure and if they get a few calls their way, could lead to Mosman chasing the game which I dont feel is their strong suit. Close one either way. Ill back an ambush which Mosman will sneak away from. Mosman by 1 after the bell.

Whoever wins Mosman and Pats will beat Colleagues in week 2.
St Pats will be better led tomorrow and for once, the outside backs will get ball. You heard it here first. Pat's by 6.

Top Bottom