• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They were down to 1s, 2s and colts from pretty early in the season. They had 2 guys red carded at the end of 1s for abusing the ref in the game against Petersham (which they lost at the death) and that was it for the season. Guess that was the straw that broke the camel's back for them, don't know much more than that.

Having a look at team sheets for the season (excluding Colts).

They forfeited 4th Grade twice in the first half of the year.
The game being washed out on 2nd July, followed with the Bye on 9th July, looks like it hurt their Third Grade with 2 forfeits there immediately after.
That's a 4-week period with no Third Grade, before they returned in R11 to smack Shammies 61-0 in 3s.
People going overseas for some sun?

Anyway, it seems odd that things went to bits after their biggest numbers at home since R5.

I see the theory about Red Cards but that's two guys.

RoundLocationPlayersOpponentNotes
R1Home65Pats
R2Away58HH
R3Home62Forest
Wet Weather 21st May
R4Away47Blue MtnsForfeit 4s
R5Home63Mosman
Long Weekend
R6Away50Pats
R7Home47HHForfeit 4s
R8 washoutAwayPostponed - see below
Competition Bye Round 09 Jul
R9Away29ColleaguesForfeit 3s & 4s
Game moved to Woollahra 3
R10Away27DrummoyneForfeit 3s and 4s
R11Home54ShammiesForfeit 4s
Knox 3s won 61-zip!
R8 Wet WeatherAwayForfeit all to Waverley
This was the game from 02 Jul
R12Away0Forfeit all to Forest
R13Home0Forfeit all to Blue Mountains
R14Away0Forfeit all to Mosman

Numberthree

Frank Row (1)
Having a look at team sheets for the season (excluding Colts).

They forfeited 4th Grade twice in the first half of the year.
The game being washed out on 2nd July, followed with the Bye on 9th July, looks like it hurt their Third Grade with 2 forfeits there immediately after.
That's a 4-week period with no Third Grade, before they returned in R11 to smack Shammies 61-0 in 3s.
People going overseas for some sun?
That Shammies game was Old Boys Day out at Knox and that 3rd grade team was not their 3rd grade team....

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Cricket pitches everywhere are fucked, not just Camperdown....

With another El Nina wet weather shit-fight forecast this spring, I doubt any cricket will be played anyway...
Horrid sport cricket. What were the grounds like at the other games this week in the Div 2/3/4 Finals

Colleagues got onto Pfitzys favourite surface while Hudson had improved slightly on earlier in the year and Melwood was melwood.

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 2 Semi Finals Preview

1st grade
UNSW vs Hawkesbury V
: Only clash this year resulted in a 45-21 victory to HV. Can see a similar result coming Saturday with a strong HV result, as along with Newport these two teams are a class above in Barraclough
Newport vs Lindfield: Lindfield will be praying for rain all week to try and nullify Newports sparkling backline. Sefton was a bog last week and is not at semi final standard. Newport victories 41-10 and 29-17, the last game being 3 weeks ago when Lindfield scored two late tries in last 5 mins. But having watched Gordon beat Norths yesterday anything is possible in finals footy. Newport should win and win well with a Breakers victory by 15+ (unless it pisses down and it will be closer).

2nd grade
UNSW vs Newport:
UNSW edged out a tight victory in the teams only clash but Newport were down signifcant cattle with a covid outbreak impacting players across the grades. UNSW late season form has been strong and they will go in justifed favourities but think if Newport are at full strength they can overcome this challenge. My blue eye says Breakers but I will go with UNSW in a very tight affair.
Lindfield vs Hills: Old Soldier were deserved Minor premiers and go in heavy favourites. My only concern is game fitness as they havent played for 3 weeks but they should have enough talent to see of a gallant Hills outfit.

Colts
Lindfield vs Hills:
Old Soldier edged out a 8-5 victory mid season and Hills will like their chances of an upset. Question marks remain over Lindfields backline defence but I think a forward game beckons with Lindfield heading to the big dance.
Newport vs Easts: Easts inflicted one of only two losses for the Breakers and are a real chance of getting the biscuits here. This game will come down to a touch of class from someone to secure a victory. Head says Easts but heart says Breakers...just by 1

3rd grade
Newport vs UNSW:
Minor premiers should have too much firepower for UNSW and should grind out a solid victory even though their only season loss was to the students. Saturday will have a very different Newport side to that mid season loss.
Hills vs Lindfield: Hills will be way too tough for old soldier and a 10+ victory awaits for Hills.

Believe Lindfield are playing Beecroft in the colts not Hills.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIV 4 GRAND FINALS

Grose Cup: Harbour (2) v Redfield (5) - ROBRs won the Round 6 clash 27-15 while Eaysters looked unconvincing over Merrylands. I think Redfield will get up here.

McLean Cup: Harbour (1) v Savers (2) -hard to go past Harbour here. The most points they've conceded in a game this year is 22 (Canterbury R1) and 21 (Renegades R6), both of whom had significantly larger forward packs than what Savers possess. Harbour held Redfield to nil in their semi, so in a game of speed and skill, Harbour most likely to win.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Where is Sydney Harbour from?

aka The Oysters, they're based out of Lyne Park and came to the competition back in 2020. Whacked everyone in Div 6 to win the title, and were on track to win Div 4 last year when COVID hit.

Have lost 1 game in their history (to Redfield in 2021, by a point), and this year they've got Easts 5th Grade as their 2s.

Last edited:

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 2 Semi Finals Preview

1st grade
UNSW vs Hawkesbury V
: Only clash this year resulted in a 45-21 victory to HV. Can see a similar result coming Saturday with a strong HV result, as along with Newport these two teams are a class above in Barraclough
Newport vs Lindfield: Lindfield will be praying for rain all week to try and nullify Newports sparkling backline. Sefton was a bog last week and is not at semi final standard. Newport victories 41-10 and 29-17, the last game being 3 weeks ago when Lindfield scored two late tries in last 5 mins. But having watched Gordon beat Norths yesterday anything is possible in finals footy. Newport should win and win well with a Breakers victory by 15+ (unless it pisses down and it will be closer).

2nd grade
UNSW vs Newport:
UNSW edged out a tight victory in the teams only clash but Newport were down signifcant cattle with a covid outbreak impacting players across the grades. UNSW late season form has been strong and they will go in justifed favourities but think if Newport are at full strength they can overcome this challenge. My blue eye says Breakers but I will go with UNSW in a very tight affair.
Lindfield vs Hills: Old Soldier were deserved Minor premiers and go in heavy favourites. My only concern is game fitness as they havent played for 3 weeks but they should have enough talent to see of a gallant Hills outfit.

Colts
Lindfield vs Hills:
Old Soldier edged out a 8-5 victory mid season and Hills will like their chances of an upset. Question marks remain over Lindfields backline defence but I think a forward game beckons with Lindfield heading to the big dance.
Newport vs Easts: Easts inflicted one of only two losses for the Breakers and are a real chance of getting the biscuits here. This game will come down to a touch of class from someone to secure a victory. Head says Easts but heart says Breakers...just by 1

3rd grade
Newport vs UNSW:
Minor premiers should have too much firepower for UNSW and should grind out a solid victory even though their only season loss was to the students. Saturday will have a very different Newport side to that mid season loss.
Hills vs Lindfield: Hills will be way too tough for old soldier and a 10+ victory awaits for Hills.
Looks like it will be a good day for Newport.
The matches of the day for me look to be Newport and Easts in colts and UNSW v HV in 1st grade.
Will the Easts colts side see a trickle down effect from their 3rd colts premiership over the weekend? Newport have been good all year, and I think they deserve a spot in the big one.
UNSW v HV looks another close fixture. UNSW are coming off the bye and HV off a tough loss to minor premiers Newport and then a soft second half to Barker. I think this will be closer than you have indicated, both with mobile packs and speed and skill out wide. Both teams will feel they deserve a spot to play for the Barraclough - rugby to be the winner.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Looks like it will be a good day for Newport.
The matches of the day for me look to be Newport and Easts in colts and UNSW v HV in 1st grade.
Will the Easts colts side see a trickle down effect from their 3rd colts premiership over the weekend? Newport have been good all year, and I think they deserve a spot in the big one.
UNSW v HV looks another close fixture. UNSW are coming off the bye and HV off a tough loss to minor premiers Newport and then a soft second half to Barker. I think this will be closer than you have indicated, both with mobile packs and speed and skill out wide. Both teams will feel they deserve a spot to play for the Barraclough - rugby to be the winner.
As someone close with Easts, yes they will.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding is that once they go up to third grade colts, they are no longer eligible.
Im sure even subbies admin aren't capable of allowing a mockery of a comp if Easts were to run out their 3rd grade.....oh hold on. Anyway Newport will just have to beat who shows up regardless.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 1 - Colts Friday night on the Plastique. Grade matches on Woollahra #1 and #2 Saturday.

Weather for the eastern suburbs looking a mite dodgy in the leadup, and while it doesn't appear to be a lot in it in terms of volume, combined with a full day of matches on Woollahra #2, won't make for a happy groundskeeper come Monday morning.

1661910978463.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 2 - away from the coast the weather is a little more Spring-like. Still some rain but lower volumes and percentages:

1661911352605.png