• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
That's not that big of a surprise, Powell has looked good when coming on for the Brumbies. Stirzaker has looked half the player he was last season. Call me harsh on him, but Meehan has looked better when he starts. Also the Rebels have only one win when Stirzaker has started, and that game he went off injured after 18 minutes. All the wins this season are with Meehan and 9.

His the new Godwin, showed a lotof promise but went backwards.

Meehan would have been a good choice for 3rd halfback, Joe Powell has looked good in a very, very limited amount of game time. if we can pick players based on such a small amount of time, why isnt blokes like holloway, Hodge, Naivalu in the squad?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Who the fuck is Joe Powell? I'll confess to only watching about three Brumbies games this year, but he is what you would call a bolter! That's like picking Kearns out of second grade back in the day. The other surprises are Houston, Horwill, Naiyaravoro and Nabuli for me. Leroy has always promised a lot but never really delivered. Hopefully being under the gaze of TGC will sharpen him up.

A surprising squad in some ways but Cheik knows what he's doing so I'll trust him.

Don't be too negative. I think Genia was picked in the same manner for his debut and that turned out pretty damn well.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Meehan would have been a good choice for 3rd halfback, Joe Powell has looked good in a very, very limited amount of game time. if we can pick players based on such a small amount of time, why isnt blokes like holloway, Hodge, Naivalu in the squad?

I would have Holloway over Houston
Hodge would have been a tough call.
Naivalu not eligible until November tour

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I would have Holloway over Houston
Hodge would have been a tough call.
Naivalu not eligible until November tour

fair enough about Naivalu then. i know it wont effect the match day squad, and our 23 will be alot more conservative, but i dont understand why Cheiks would pick so many player that are past it instead of young blokes who deserve the spots more and would help their development. Powell will be a very good halfback but that call is very confusing

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
was Genia picked after just 7 super rugby games from the bench?

According to Wiki:
"He played in eight Super Rugby matches in 2009, half of which were starting appearances, and scored four tries during the tournament but missed Queensland's final two matches of the season due to an injured finger tendon.[12]
Genia was selected in the Wallabies squad for the 2009 Tri Nations and made his test debut against the All Blacks at Eden Park in Auckland on 18 July 2009."

Only started 4 games that season. In the previous season he only started one game and came off the bench for 6.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
It was similar. I remember him being the second string half-back for the Reds at the time. Wasn't a regular super rugby starter.

it was slightly similar but Genia had played 26 games for the reds, and had started at least 10 of them before he was picked. I do think Powell will be good for the walllabies, but this is a very premature pick when 7 bench appearances can get you a squad call-up

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There was a lot of buzz around Genia's form that year though, and it was no surprise when he was selected.............

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah Holloway out for the season so he probably wouldn't have been in consideration. Horwill is the biggest surprise for me, and I'd say bringing him, Kepu, Naiyaravoro and Houston in from OS probably means there are only 26 players yet to be named for the 30 man.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'm surprised Gilly got a look in. Not that he hasn't been playing well or doesn't deserve it, but it effectively means we have four No. 7s; Hooper, Pocock, McMahon and Gill.

Granted this is just the training squad + players covering multiple positions, but I didn't expect Liam to be included unless there was an injury especially since he's leaving next year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There was a lot of buzz around Genia's form that year though, and it was no surprise when he was selected.....

I guess Powell is seen as the best of a poor bunch remaining. Or the most potential of the rest.

But then if he has so much potential why isn't Larkham (the wallabies attack coach) giving him more game time?

It's certainly an interesting selection.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
According to Wiki:
"He played in eight Super Rugby matches in 2009, half of which were starting appearances, and scored four tries during the tournament but missed Queensland's final two matches of the season due to an injured finger tendon.[12]
Genia was selected in the Wallabies squad for the 2009 Tri Nations and made his test debut against the All Blacks at Eden Park in Auckland on 18 July 2009."

Only started 4 games that season. In the previous season he only started one game and came off the bench for 6.

he had played for the reds since 2007 and had already played 18 games for the reds before 2009 so that puts his total up to 26 and he had started in a few

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Sio
Moore
Kepu
Arnold
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Kerevi
Kuridrani
DHP
Folau

TPN
Slipper
Holmes
Coleman
McCalman
McMahon
Frisby (covers inside backs too)
Naiyaravoro

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Can't wait for the Canberra broekens to lecture about how Joe Powell is the correct decision and that criticism is unfair.

Stirzaker v Powell
Tries
Carries
Metres
Clean Breaks
Defenders Beaten
Offloads
Try Assists
Passes
Open play kicks
Lineout catches

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
regardless our match day 23 surely wont have any of these left field selections, so its not too bad. i just feel like we passed up a good development opportunity by picking old blokes eg. Mumm Horwill, Houston, Palu and i dont think Powell is fair to Meehan or Stirzaker