• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dowling has played Randwick First Grade at 10 and Australian 7s. He's a year older than Gordon and Annan, who will get their chance next year along with Hough. Gordon, Hough and Faifua are all Wests so I can see what you're doing there Reg.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking that many QLDers will make the first XV!

I do give you Brown over Tagg. He is propping in Eastwood First Grade.
Picking guys playing Premier Rugby? Although Hough only off the bench but couldn't see others who are doing it elsewhere

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Picking guys playing Premier Rugby? Although Hough only off the bench but couldn't see others who are doing it elsewhere
Zac Hough also worthy of the selection based on the fact he was rated #3 schoolboy prospect last year as per couriermail.

he’s going to be a fine young prospect, limited opportunities in Prem grade so far stuck behind one of the best #7 in qpr but he has the right attitude young Zac because he is putting his hand up to help out with reserve grade.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Taj Annan has played prems all year at fullback and wing for Easts. Nick Baker has played prems all year at 7 for GPS.
there are a few more around QPR too.

I don't think the selectors had a good look at the QPR performances and went a lot off previous reputations especially given that last year was not productive in having the age group play any rep rugby ie NRC, Interstate games.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is Mason Gordon an out & out 10 or hybrid 10/15?
He could probably play 10,12 or 15 depending on the player around him, the level (Colt, grade or representative) and the opposition. Not sure of his defence and whether it is as competent as the brother, Carter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I don't think the selectors had a good look at the QPR performances and went a lot off previous reputations especially given that last year was not productive in having the age group play any rep rugby ie NRC, Interstate games.
You are a master at throwing out such statements but never come up with suggested names. So come one, which Under 20s guys not picked would you have?

whistler

Bob McCowan (2)

I would probably disagree with that. Look at the guys selected, they are predominantly training or playing with Super rugby squads or playing prems from a qld perspective. There are a couple of boys you would probably have expected to be there and were in the original training squads but they are playing colts with some reserving for Prems.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

You are a master at throwing out such statements but never come up with suggested names. So come one, which Under 20s guys not picked would you have?
read my comment.
I did not say others needed to be or should have been picked.

I said 'I don't think the selectors had a good look at QPR". Why?

because 7 players out of 30 from QLD playing QPR.

QPR is regarded as top two development grounds for players - Rebels send their troops north for a reason
QPR is the level below Super Rugby now that NRC and all other junior rep rugby has been on hold for 2 years. BTW this means current 20 year olds have not had a vehicle to show there ability other than QPR / Shute Shield etc.
I note this year that NSW Academy played games V Rebels and ACT which gave them exposure while QLD Academy has not played at all.

Has anyone seen Nathan Grey in Brisbane evaluating talent available? Meeting with or holding trials ?

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Zac Hough also worthy of the selection based on the fact he was rated #3 schoolboy prospect last year as per couriermail.

he’s going to be a fine young prospect, limited opportunities in Prem grade so far stuck behind one of the best #7 in qpr but he has the right attitude young Zac because he is putting his hand up to help out with reserve grade

I get where you're coming from SouthernX but Hough has a few older lads in front of him at this level this year. He will get another chance next year.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
7 Qld
12 NSW
4 WA
5 Vic

Really great to see the state's rugby programs producing representative talent - in a relatively short time frame too.

Great future for the Wallabies and the Brumbies.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
read my comment.
I did not say others needed to be or should have been picked.

I said 'I don't think the selectors had a good look at QPR". Why?

because 7 players out of 30 from QLD playing QPR.

QPR is regarded as top two development grounds for players - Rebels send their troops north for a reason
QPR is the level below Super Rugby now that NRC and all other junior rep rugby has been on hold for 2 years. BTW this means current 20 year olds have not had a vehicle to show there ability other than QPR / Shute Shield etc.
I note this year that NSW Academy played games V Rebels and ACT which gave them exposure while QLD Academy has not played at all.

Has anyone seen Nathan Grey in Brisbane evaluating talent available? Meeting with or holding trials ?
I think you have some good points actually. Not necessarily QPR but just some interstate trials would have been worthwhile.
Meanwhile in NZ, they have just wrapped up the Bunnings Warehouse Super Rugby Under 20 competition.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
7 Qld
12 NSW
4 WA
5 Vic

Really great to see the state's rugby programs producing representative talent - in a relatively short time frame too.

a lot of those Vic players have migrated recently. Only Daniel is a local I think.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
7 Qld
12 NSW
4 WA
5 Vic

4 of the Vic players seem to hail from Wests or UQ so I assume they are Qldrs and 1 of the WA players is from Warringah so I assume from NSW.
Just going by the club they've put down representative numbers seem to be:

13 NSW
11 QLD
3 WA
2 ACT
1 VIC