• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have always admired To'omua as a player, but my vote would be to go for somebody with a bit more attacking flair.
It will all depend on Rennie's game strategy.
Team selections will be based on players' ability to attack, or defend, or kick.
Matt will get in if defence and kicking are most important.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
New Wallaby jersey. I'm a big fan. Much more gold than the past decade of yellow. Strange collar remains.
Left is last years, middle is new one, right is 1991 RWC.

62b3ada8ed44240dfee14e28f80b1fa2842756e6

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ah I see

So on the field you would rather Ikitau Perese or TK over To'omua?

I like the idea of those combinations but I would still be hesitant to Bench To'omua in favour of it. Though perhaps V France is exactly the time to give it a go!

Originally I thought it would be Petaia at 13 with Paisami coming off the bench for big impact but look how my judgement ended up on that one.

On this year's form, definitely take Paisami at 12 coupled with any one of the other three at 13 in preference to Matty T at 12. I have long been a fan of Matt, ever since he came to the Brumbies out of school, but in my eyes he is now at his use by date. As you say, against France would be a preferable time to introduce change rather than, as happened to Matt, being thrown to the wolves by starting a test career against the ABs.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I 100% agree, Philip Rodda Hosea LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) Uru Neville & thats not including the best one who prob wont come back. Less than 12 months ago we all thought we were stuffed out of no where we looks pretty good. I didnt want to push in case of bias but I believe Trev seriously could be anything.

If anyone would know you would are Rodda or Philp calling line outs over in the land of baguette & brie?

Funny isn't it. Everyone thought we would be stuffed however I have thought for the last year or 2 that we are coming into a golden era for Locks in Australia. We've never had depth like this before.

I actually think the guy with the highest ceiling you've left out, Nick Frost.

Add again to your list Skelton(who you were referring to?) and Hockings who are both potentials to come back.

Then Swain, Blyth and Smith as well as those 3 young impressive locks at the Tahs.

Problem will be hanging onto them all.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Funny isn't it. Everyone thought we would be stuffed however I have thought for the last year or 2 that we are coming into a golden era for Locks in Australia. We've never had depth like this before.

We will never hang onto them all, unfortunately. The problem will be hanging on to the ones that we really want, and that will require an unprecedented level of cooperation between RA and the franchises, collectively and individually.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I actually think the guy with the highest ceiling you've left out, Nick Frost.

Add again to your list Skelton(who you were referring to?) and Hockings who are both potentials to come back.

Then Swain, Blyth and Smith as well as those 3 young impressive locks at the Tahs.

I actually ment Arnold lol, well our best 2 may never come back lol. Yeah I like Frost but I think he is along way off the others just now

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
As long as they are not announced and written up as the Cadbury Wallabies I don't care.

What other top tier nation has given away naming rights with their major sponsor?

Is England the 02 Roses, France the Altrad Cocks?, Absa Springboks?, Visa Pumas?

Australian Wallabies just like the NZ All Blacks would be fine thankyou.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story...apanese-sabbatical-blueprint-player-retention

"Wallabies coach Dave Rennie has forecast more sabbaticals for Australia's elite players, suggesting that skipper Michael Hooper's Japanese stint could become the blueprint for player retention moving forward"

"Second-rowers Matt Philip and Izack Rodda, who are both based in France, may be included in a Wallabies squad that could total 38 players, but Rennie indicated that Hooper would definitely be involved with the Top League set to conclude over the next two weeks."

""So a sabbatical type of thing, like Hoops is doing, we're talking about with a handful of other players who can potentially cash in for half a year and then come back, that's a great option for us," Rennie said in Sydney on Thursday.
"I think guys going over to Europe and going open slather -- so we forget about whatever the Giteau Law is at the moment, and you pick from wherever you like -- it will end up being like Africa and Argentina and you'll have no control over your players."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have come around to the sabbatical idea after that Will Genia instagram post I mentioned previously. Sure there are some big dollars involved but it's also about rediscovering the fun of the sport away from the pressure of the game here.

I'd much prefer for the likes of Valetini, Wilson, Gordon, McDermott, Tupou go off there for a year (in between RWCs) to earn some bucks and have some fun (improve our depth) and then come back refreshed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just hope they set up proper procedures for it and it doesn't become a piecemeal mess.

Going to Japan has always seemed like an absolute no brainer to me, from a player perspective. Getting paid double to turn out against 3rd string Japanese locals away from the media? Fuck yeah.

Just run away from wherever Brodie Retallick is on the field.