• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also no one is really talking about Berrick Barnes here. Didn't realise he was a reputable coach.

Always liked the dude, gives the impression that things came harder to him than the more mercurial players. Bit odd that he'll be coaching Quade who he played 2nd fiddle to.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also no one is really talking about Berrick Barnes here. Didn't realise he was a reputable coach.

Always liked the dude, gives the impression that things came harder to him than the more mercurial players. Bit odd that he'll be coaching Quade who he played 2nd fiddle to.
Sounds like Wisemantel is a bit of a mentor to him so it could be a very good fit having both of them in when Wisemantel will only have limited involvement/availability.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

back when Eddie coached the Reds, Barnes and QC (Quade Cooper) played in the same team. First Barnes at 10 and Cooper off the bench, then Quade at 10 and Barnes at 12. Interestingly for that last game of the season v the Bulls, Barnes played 10 and QC (Quade Cooper) was at 12.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeh I mean it pretty much debunks the rumour that Wisemantle bailed once he heard Eddie was coming back. Looking forward to how this is twisted by some of the Eddie detractors here. Maybe he's holding Wisemantle's family hostage above a live volcano?
Yeah, i can understand why a guy would want stay with his young family at Lennox Head as opposed to spending 6 months away from them

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

We are going back to 2011 - Barnes, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), waiting for Eddie to announce Phil Blake as defense coach now.

And (just like 2011) these Wallabies will get bundled out in the Semi-Final by the eventual tournament winners (Borthwick's England).

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I guess you forgot the plague? We played 6 games in 2020 1 win 1 draw 2 losses v NZ and 2 draws v ARG. I know it was a dreadful season.
Ah yes the plague that uniquely affected only Australia, thereby hampering the obvious new coach bounce affect you say is 100% definitely a thing that happens every time.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ah yes the plague that uniquely affected only Australia, thereby hampering the obvious new coach bounce affect you say is 100% definitely a thing that happens every time.
Ah! yes the plague (that wasn't) which meant we only played 6 games and the training was limited, with new guys coming after the WC and Rennie was a crap coach who could not lift the team and YET it was almost universally accepted that the team showed major improvements over Cheika's time. Maybe you are too young to remember past coaches before McKenzie's time and were a baby during Deans time? The rest of your post is 100% BS.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ah! yes the plague (that wasn't) which meant we only played 6 games and the training was limited, with new guys coming after the WC and Rennie was a crap coach who could not lift the team and YET it was almost universally accepted that the team showed major improvements over Cheika's time. Maybe you are too young to remember past coaches before McKenzie's time and were a baby during Deans time? The rest of your post is 100% BS.
I must have missed that part. I think it was universally accepted that Rennie was a general improvement on Cheika and his tantrums and divisive nature. The team didn't show major improvements though, pretty clearly.

I like how you have to revert to ageist ad homs to defend factually incorrect posts. FWIW you can see my age in my profile if you want to be more specific about your nonsense.

Reactions: Ged

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Berrick is an interesting one. I think he's a smart footballer with skills like in play kicking and goal kicking that the Wallabies could definitely improve.

He fits the caliber of player that can end up being a quality coach. He worked hard for everything he achieved. Also has that league background we all say Eddie likes. He has been working with the Newcastle Knights through their pre season I believe so not a complete novice whilst still a rookie coach.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Berrick is an interesting one. I think he's a smart footballer with skills like in play kicking and goal kicking that the Wallabies could definitely improve.

He fits the caliber of player that can end up being a quality coach. He worked hard for everything he achieved. Also has that league background we all say Eddie likes. He has been working with the Newcastle Knights through their pre season I believe so not a complete novice whilst still a rookie coach.

The last thing he should be trying to coach is tactical kicking. Shooting for the posts yes, but dear god, nothing more.
He had a unique ability to kick it all of about 17 metres, directly into the arms of the most dangerous broken field runners on the field, none of whom were wearing gold.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rodda has injured his foot again would say he's now in doubt for the WC given how long last year's recovery was.
Screenshot_20230221-142315.png

Marce

John Thornett (49)
All Blacks cannot play more than five games in a row in the Super comp. That is the directive from above in a year when they will only get to play five internationals before the RWC kicks off.

Someone is controlling the game time of WBs this special year?