• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Incoming:

1. A post by @Braveheart81 critiquing Campbell's one misstep as if it encompasses his whole match. Then suggesting we need to work in more experience in the fullback position ("oh, I dunno........... Maybe Kurtley Beale, with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing and Campbell to suck some eggs in the training squad"). The final paragraph being a statement of opinion as if it's an established fact.

2. A post by @barbarian starting with "I'm a Jock fan, but........." followed by a series of statements that clearly show he is anything other than a Jock fan.

3. Me going fucking spastic at the ridiculousness of those posts and getting another timeout.
Technically, if you became spastic, your muscle rigidity would probably preclude typing, so I think you'd be safe.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bicep to head has been established as a definite YC.
Yep, undoubtedly. If it was reviewed, I think the debate would have been over whether that was the initial contact, or whether it was chest-to-shoulder first, which could've mitigated it down to a penalty or nothing at all. Hard to tell from the TV angle, and obviously the broadcaster made sure we didn't get any other replays either.

Tricky thing is that collisions like this happen all the time. Obviously this was significant due to the timing and implications, but any other point in the match it's likely not even picked up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Incoming:

1. A post by @Braveheart81 critiquing Campbell's one misstep as if it encompasses his whole match. Then suggesting we need to work in more experience in the fullback position ("oh, I dunno........... Maybe Kurtley Beale, with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing and Campbell to suck some eggs in the training squad"). The final paragraph being a statement of opinion as if it's an established fact.

2. A post by @barbarian starting with "I'm a Jock fan, but........." followed by a series of statements that clearly show he is anything other than a Jock fan.

3. Me going fucking spastic at the ridiculousness of those posts and getting another timeout.
I've never really been much of a fan actually. He did OK, earned another shot.

Hope that delivered the insight you clearly crave.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Incoming:

You watch Gel, next time Kurtley has an 'OK' game, we'll be hearing how he should be nominated for World Rugby's player of the year!!

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
It was the one blight from what was another strong performance from him...

He must have been having flashbacks to his try against the 'canes.

But it was dumb - the team just looked rudderless in those final stages.
Amazing isn’t it. While it was a shit decision to kick, Gordon’s smothered box kick in the previous play was even worse…not a whisper

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
TT made a couple of very good dominant tackles. He scrummed well and was busy all over the park. It will do his confidence wonders. He should start next week and be replaced early if doing going well again.
Any word on AAA?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Late to the party. Been logged out. Forgot password. Sorry if this has already been said, but I enjoy this forum after a game as a place to vent and dump. Here's my very non-expert take:

Positives:
1. Smart and simple game plan. IMO, that’s the main reason we almost won! Wallabies have some clear weaknesses at the breakdown and when on the back foot against the top teams, and so we were right to return kick every time, rather than trying to run it back or create something when the opposition kicked to us. It minimises the risk that comes with trying to run it back and losing the ball in the tackle/ruck.

2. Running the ball in other broken play and turnover ball — ABs style. That’s the time to spread it wide and chance your arm, even from your own try line. But support players need to switch on to it quickly, and work hard off the ball — which they did with the Wallabies first try. Brilliant!

3. Will Skelton’s ability to get over the gain line. He takes the pressure off Valentini as the only sure forward to consistently do this.

Areas to improve:
1. Every ball carry needs to get over the gain line. Many of ours don’t. We don’t have as many powerful forwards as most of the top teams. Not much we can do about that. But neither do Ireland. Yet they have found a clever way to consistently get over the gain line by a) their forwards running between defenders, not directly at them, and b) short off-loads between forwards. It’s surprising how much further teams can get over the gain line by a forward simply drawing two defenders and passing to a support forward right next to him. Makes so much difference. And the key to running between two defenders is to already be running between two defenders before you receive the pass (Slipper, take note).

2. Better ball security at the break breakdown. Too often a Wallaby ball carrier is isolated when tackled. Supporting forwards aren’t there. At the same time, if you’re going to take an obvious tackle, don’t run away from your support forwards. This is a key reason our forwards lose the ball at the tackle/ruck 5-10 metres out from the try line. Isolated one-man hit ups. We got lucky a couple of times with this.

3. Related to that, our forwards need to operate as a pack to make a punch. We look weak and can’t penetrate close to the try line. The forward pack needs to think of itself as a single organism and stay tighter and work together. Have a look at the Taylor’s first two tries for the ABs v Wales game. Scott Barrett basically drives him over from behind. Holloway could play that role well. Think of himself as a second driver rather than main carrier close to the line. Two is stronger than one.

4. Paisami, Slipper, and Wright all need to add a new string to their bow and learn how to draw and pass, or have another option besides ONLY taking the tackle. They need to make use of their support players, otherwise they’re too predictable and easy to defend against.

5. Discipline. Was better this week, but can still improve.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Late to the party. Been logged out. Forgot password. Sorry if this has already been said, but I enjoy this forum after a game as a place to vent and dump. Here's my very non-expert take:

Positives:
1. Smart and simple game plan. IMO, that’s the main reason we almost won! Wallabies have some clear weaknesses at the breakdown and when on the back foot against the top teams, and so we were right to return kick every time, rather than trying to run it back or create something when the opposition kicked to us. It minimises the risk that comes with trying to run it back and losing the ball in the tackle/ruck.

2. Running the ball in other broken play and turnover ball — ABs style. That’s the time to spread it wide and chance your arm, even from your own try line. But support players need to switch on to it quickly, and work hard off the ball — which they did with the Wallabies first try. Brilliant!

3. Will Skelton’s ability to get over the gain line. He takes the pressure off Valentini as the only sure forward to consistently do this.

Areas to improve:
1. Every ball carry needs to get over the gain line. Many of ours don’t. We don’t have as many powerful forwards as most of the top teams. Not much we can do about that. But neither do Ireland. Yet they have found a clever way to consistently get over the gain line by a) their forwards running between defenders, not directly at them, and b) short off-loads between forwards. It’s surprising how much further teams can get over the gain line by a forward simply drawing two defenders and passing to a support forward right next to him. Makes so much difference. And the key to running between two defenders is to already be running between two defenders before you receive the pass (Slipper, take note).

2. Better ball security at the break breakdown. Too often a Wallaby ball carrier is isolated when tackled. Supporting forwards aren’t there. At the same time, if you’re going to take an obvious tackle, don’t run away from your support forwards. This is a key reason our forwards lose the ball at the tackle/ruck 5-10 metres out from the try line. Isolated one-man hit ups. We got lucky a couple of times with this.

3. Related to that, our forwards need to operate as a pack to make a punch. We look weak and can’t penetrate close to the try line. The forward pack needs to think of itself as a single organism and stay tighter and work together. Have a look at the Taylor’s first two tries for the ABs v Wales game. Scott Barrett basically drives him over from behind. Holloway could play that role well. Think of himself as a second driver rather than main carrier close to the line. Two is stronger than one.

4. Paisami, Slipper, and Wright all need to add a new string to their bow and learn how to draw and pass, or have another option besides ONLY taking the tackle. They need to make use of their support players, otherwise they’re too predictable and easy to defend against.

5. Discipline. Was better this week, but can still improve.
4. Paisami, Slipper, and Wright all need to add a new string to their bow and learn how to draw and pass.
Agreed, although if they aren’t good at this now playing Test footy for their country are they ever going to be able to be good at that?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know what you''re saying but watchable to me suggests that the game would be entertaining to someone that is not invested in rugby.

No fairweather fan watched the Scotland game and considered the match entertaining.
If you thought the Scotland game was not worth watching then maybe you are a fairweather fan. I was thinking mainly of the group that watches the wallabies regularly. The occasional viewer who hears we have put together a couple of watchable games and people like me who mention it's worth a watch to some friends should up our number of eyeballs for the Ireland and Wales games.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
4. Paisami, Slipper, and Wright all need to add a new string to their bow and learn how to draw and pass.
Agreed, although if they aren’t good at this now playing Test footy for their country are they ever going to be able to be good at that?

Paisami had some variation 18 months ago, a cheeky kicking game, early passing etc. there was a stage in the Reds forum when he was being thrown around by fans as a possible flyhalf option (lol)

He definitely seems to have regressed and is head down runner again… but with less impact

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
He had the grubber in behind the line when the defence would rush him to take his space. Worked a couple times and has been put away now. I don't really know what to make of him moving forward. Can definitely do a job but is limited currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.