• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Once we have our full compliment of players back and at full fitness (a pipe dream really), I would be good to see some identity from our side in terms of starting and finishing game strategy.

If we are going with a 'bomb squad' type finishers with Tupou, I'd want to see the likes of either Petaia/Wright/Vunivalu coming on fresh, with McDermott to bring his running game, even someone like Paisami to come on if we go with a 4/3 bench.

I think they are trying to do something similar at the moment, for example having Leota to bring on late makes sense.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
? Sure this would be an advantage. Did we see it against Argentina? For me the management at the back was utterly hopeless.

Look I'll keep my mind open as we go forward but I really did not see it in the last test. Far from it.

There was some analysis article about JOC (James O'Connor) where it highlighted Wright was pointing and telling players where to stand, whilst JOC (James O'Connor) was caught up in rucks. Wright was often first receiver. And also, based on Rennie's interview comments he regarded him a good communicator. But I do see where you are coming from, he was still well below par in these areas against Argentina. Hard to argue any player had good game management last match.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There was some analysis article about JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) where it highlighted Wright was pointing and telling players where to stand, whilst JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was caught up in rucks. Wright was often first receiver. And also, based on Rennie's interview comments he regarded him a good communicator. But I do see where you are coming from, he was still well below par in these areas against Argentina. Hard to argue any player had good game management last match.

Yes I know the article - focussed on management at 10, not really the back three. Viking, just for you, I'll keep my mind open. Certainly I wish him the very best tomorrow.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I know the article - focussed on management at 10, not really the back three. Viking, just for you, I'll keep my mind open. Certainly I wish him the very best tomorrow.

Yeh maybe it was stretch to say he was a good game manager. I should have said "has the ability to slot into first receiver with ease" which seems to suit him moreso then the other options.

But I actually feel pretty closed-minded against him. Needs to sort out his decision-making and high ball skills, hopefully he will get a full season at super rugby at 15 before being considered again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh maybe it was stretch to say he was a good game manager. I should have said "has the ability to slot into first receiver with ease" which seems to suit him moreso then the other options.

But I actually feel pretty closed-minded against him. Needs to sort out his decision-making and high ball skills, hopefully he will get a full season at super rugby at 15 before being considered again.

It is definitely an advantage if your 15 can drop in to first receiver. No question there.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually reckon that Wright and Hodge will go alright this weekend. Wright will be much more comfortable back on the wing, and Hodge will be solid as always. The curse of Hodge's career is that he's too versatile, so he's never been able to make any one position his own.

Loosies are going to have their work cut out for them, particularly when the Bok loosies will be actively targeting Lolesio and the 10 channel. If McReight can get in early and nab a pilfer or force a penalty or two, it might help keep the Boks more honest.

Looking forward to this one, afternoon rugby is like manna from heaven.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I actually reckon that Wright and Hodge will go alright this weekend. Wright will be much more comfortable back on the wing, and Hodge will be solid as always. The curse of Hodge's career is that he's too versatile, so he's never been able to make any one position his own.

Loosies are going to have their work cut out for them, particularly when the Bok loosies will be actively targeting Lolesio and the 10 channel. If McReight can get in early and nab a pilfer or force a penalty or two, it might help keep the Boks more honest.

Looking forward to this one, afternoon rugby is like manna from heaven.
If Hodge wasn't durable and versatile he'd have about 5 caps.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Look I don't want to become like some of the other posters on this forum and get known for flogging a dead horse, but this statement is just plain incorrect.

Reece Hodge in 2016 might have been considered a pretty safe and consistent player but you obviously haven't been following his career trajectory for the last four years; he's actually become known for his unpredictability with form that spans from poor (look at his Rebel form basically in perpetuity) to slightly above average but never really anything above.

Despite all that, I really think we need to stick with him for the next three games. One of the common excuses for Hodge is that he never gets to play consistently in one position for the Wallabies and is constantly being shifted/ benched - let's finally put that to rest and give him the opportunity to prove that he can/ should be a starting Wallaby.

Hodge is one of those weird players that might actually be "better" playing limited amounts of test rugby where he is insulated and just has to do his core duties in a highly structured environment. Compared to Super Rugby where he's probably in a wider array of situations, the game is looser and he has to do a lot more.

He is what he is. A useful fill-in at a few different positions, master of none. You are only starting him if out of proper options...but sometimes that's the case.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hodge is one of those weird players that might actually be "better" playing limited amounts of test rugby where he is insulated and just has to do his core duties in a highly structured environment. Compared to Super Rugby where he's probably in a wider array of situations, the game is looser and he has to do a lot more.

He is
I watched him closely in the last RWC and thought he had a makings of a fine fullback, then he was red carded for the most puerile reason that needed several viewings to elicit a poor decision on what I thought was one of the gutsiest tackles I had seen in a long time. I think that affected him badly.
I don't like your pathetic view on a player who has more guts than most, it doesn't play very well to my mind.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I watched him closely in the last RWC and thought he had a makings of a fine fullback, then he was red carded for the most puerile reason that needed several viewings to elicit a poor decision on what I thought was one of the gutsiest tackles I had seen in a long time. I think that affected him badly.
I don't like your pathetic view on a player who has more guts than most, it doesn't play very well to my mind.
I mean, it was definitely a gutsy tackle, but it also definitely clocked the bloke in the head.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I mean, it was definitely a gutsy tackle, but it also definitely clocked the bloke in the head.
I looked at it in real-time and thought great tackle, Yato was low and Hodge aimed at the middle of a very big guy. In Slow replay you are correct but that far out from the line you are taught to tackle around the middle. We disagree, me on what I saw and you on a slo-mo replay. Was it deliberate? I would argue it was not.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Faintly positive RAT this morning, so looks like I'll be watching this in the isolation of my office on the PC, instead of helping out at Subbies finals today :(

Unless the PCR comes back negative in the meantime. Unlikely.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
another valuable contribution by you cyclo....
I thought Reg didn't do sarcasm.....

larry-david-unsure.gif

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
In response to a few of the poster’s here; if Hodge really was the second-coming of Stirling Mortlock or Matt Burke, wouldn’t he have actually showed it by now?

Wouldn‘t he, umm, actually be good at a Super Rugby level?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In response to a few of the poster’s here; if Hodge really was the second-coming of Stirling Mortlock or Matt Burke, wouldn’t he have actually showed it by now?

Wouldn‘t he, umm, actually be good at a Super Rugby level?

For goodness sake. Second coming? east, that is called a straw man. There is some reasonable evidence that Hodge has been among the more effective of the Wallabies when he has taken the field - in various roles. The claim is he has deserved to be in the 23 somewhat moreso than many others. Certainly at 15/23.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Hasn't been mentioned much but do we not all think it is stupid as fuck that RA have put a test match

A. In Adelaide (what are sales like?)
B. At 3pm on a Saturday when rugby watching public will be at club and school boy games? It boggles my mind. I know someone at the game will let the score out before I have the chance to say shut the F up.

Also I'm not sure what more Campbell has to do to get a look in at 15. He is our only proper 15 running around in Oz now. Hodge starting 15 is just another bandaid. I like the guy but he is bang on average at everything he does except kicking long with average accuracy. He can have all the guts in the world but that doesn't make him a test match player. Mr Fix It he is, a starting test 15 he is not. I'll be more tha happy if he goes out and is MOTM but I highly doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.