• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think McDermott and Gordon are both great halfbacks and I also think giving all our halfbacks game time is important.
Yes Tate holds the ball slightly longer because he's looking for a chance to run. Can't believe we are still having the discussion with a new set of halfbacks.
Neither has shown enough to demand not being rotated

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it's not really about the game, but just seen the Stadium on news here on NZ news. Looks absolutely bloody great, I can see a trip to Sydney being in the future just to go to a game there (hopefully a test). Sydneysiders should be a bit proud of it!

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know it's not really about the game, but just seen the Stadium on news here on NZ news. Looks absolutely bloody great, I can see a trip to Sydney being in the future just to go to a game there (hopefully a test). Sydnetsiders should be a bit proud of it!

Won't make it there tomorrow but a few Tahs games might be on the cards. Will watch NRL tonight just to get a look at the joint.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Won't make it there tomorrow but a few Tahs games might be on the cards. Will watch NRL tonight just to get a look at the joint.
Yeah a culla Tahs games should go alright for those of us without $300 for a fucken bleachers seat.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I can see the logic, but it's just weird, it's not being done in any other bench positions. He must genuinely think they're even in terms of ability.
Maybe he anticipates a different pattern this time around? If its a grind, Gordon will be in his element.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
watching the Roosters play and they’re kicking up a few chunks of grass. The surface won’t hold up with scrums tomorrow night. It’s going to be a mess at scrum time

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
watching the Roosters play and they’re kicking up a few chunks of grass. The surface won’t hold up with scrums tomorrow night. It’s going to be a mess at scrum time
Was always going to be optimistic to get the surface good for league / union games with the >2000mm of rain in that part of Sydney this year. Not to mention actually getting good growth this time of year anyway with recently chucked-in sod. Shame if it spoils the game in any way, but it has been rushed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was always going to be optimistic to get the surface good for league / union games with the >2000mm of rain in that part of Sydney this year. Not to mention actually getting good growth this time of year anyway with recently chucked-in sod. Shame if it spoils the game in any way, but it has been rushed.
Yeah time of year and weather haven’t helped, they laid the turf a while back, but doesn’t seemed to have rooted deep enough yet. Not enough for 1600kg of scrum work anyway.

it’s going to be a mess for the Matilda’s game on Wednesday, football fans will be unhappy. Great looking stadium otherwise

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just home from that game, big night. Yeah one of the tries there was a massive explosion of sand as a player dived over. Not sure the surface is up to it yet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest Cyclo, surely there are enough groundsmen with proper knowledge of what is required to make sure ground is bedded in on time. I actually wonder about the sand base they use? But as you say they could of been rushed, I just worry if it doesn't start well seems to be a problem for some time.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
To be honest Cyclo, surely there are enough groundsmen with proper knowledge of what is required to make sure ground is bedded in on time. I actually wonder about the sand base they use? But as you say they could of been rushed, I just worry if it doesn't start well seems to be a problem for some time.
You hope lessons have been learnt, but Marvel Stadium was known as "the beach" in its early years and that was only under AFL loading. AAMI Park looked like the carpet was being rolled up under the scrums at one point. Suncorp has also had issues.

It can't be easy establishing a surface in winter, even with the technology they use to help it along. Disappearing turf under scrums is probably to our advantage though.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
You hope lessons have been learnt, but Marvel Stadium was known as "the beach" in its early years and that was only under AFL loading. AAMI Park looked like the carpet was being rolled up under the scrums at one point. Suncorp has also had issues.

It can't be easy establishing a surface in winter, even with the technology they use to help it along. Disappearing turf under scrums is probably to our advantage though.

Marvel's main issue was it never got enough sun on it, the shape of the stadium & orientation as well as its only on a thin bed of dirt with a carpark underneath. A fair bit has been invested in heat lamps on wheels to give it light & now its fine

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It wasn't a lack of knowledge, it was time pressure to get it open. And the rain here has been ridiculous all year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know whether to see the turf as de-powering the scrum to our benefit, or simply a danger to the front row. What is this ref's reputation like for adjudicating scrums?

Edit: We have the same guy as last week? Works for me but we better have our discipline dialled in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.