• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Wales - 1 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have we got any local snouts on these threads that can confirm the Roof status?

It may be a major factor come game time.

Italophile

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Odds are it will be closed. It was last week. There has been massive flooding in northern Wales and the forecasts aren't that flash. The Welsh still see their strength as ball handlers so they're not going to want to play in a swamp regardless of how the Wallabies are perceived to perform on wet tracks.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
how has the welsh front row been going lately? I know we kind of had parity in Aus, but not sure if that means anything now.

Italophile

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Barnes is the ref, he's pretty clueless about scrums, working on guesswork mainly. Have to wait and see. But, certainly, Wales are the weakest up front they've been in years.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Robbie is saying everyone is tired to try and make excuses, but that fails to explain our yo-yo form the whole TRC.

I just hope the boys do it for Sharpie. He deserves it.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Barnes is the ref, he's pretty clueless about scrums, working on guesswork mainly. Have to wait and see. But, certainly, Wales are the weakest up front they've been in years.

They were missing Adam Jones in the RWC 3rd place playoff and I thought the Wob's were the dominate scrum in that game...this time round they are missing him plus Aaron Jarvis, Joe Rees, and Paul James. Hopefully I dont jinx the Wallabies, but I reckon they will go well up front!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Robbie is saying everyone is tired to try and make excuses, but that fails to explain our yo-yo form the whole TRC.

I just hope the boys do it for Sharpie. He deserves it.

I don't think he was excusing the inconsistency due to fatigue, it was more the 2nd half performance which would make sense.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Who cares that timani is out he played terrible last game and if the plan is to have our TH lock playing in the centres well then at least neville has pace
Not to the point, though I have never cared much for such a nicety, watch Neville when he gets on the park down the track for the Wobs. I've said a few times since I first saw him playing 1st Grade for Manly a couple of years ago that he is like 3M, and this year he was playing 6 for them late in the season.

Geez, he was like a jack rabbit from the side of the scrum sometimes and now and then he embarrassed a few backs chasing him. I see him as the natural successor to Samo in the Wobs set up though that is a couple of steps up.

Watch this space.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
qwerty51, Maybe, but I think he was also making a pre-emptive excuse in case things go south this game.

It's fair comment, this is the 15th Test this year, the 17th from the WC. Boks only played 12 Tests since the RWC qtr defeat and we've played 18 and they were complaining about being tired.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wallabies team (15-1): Berrick Barnes, Nick Cummins, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Ben Tapuai, Drew Mitchell, Kurtley Beale, Nick Phipps, Wycliff Palu, David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Kane Douglas, Ben Alexander, Tatafu Polota Nau, Benn Robinson. Res: Stephen Moore, James Slipper, Sekope Kepu, Dave Dennis, Michael Hooper, Brendan McKibbin, Mike Harris, Digby Ioane.

Hooper to the Bench. Nice reward for about 5 consecutive back to back MOM performances.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...14/deans-makes-four-changes-for-cardiff-test/

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whats the deal with Samo he played 1 match of the tour from the bench vs France and then not sighted since?. Waste of money taking someone of his age on tour if they are not being used, as his potential for development by staying with the group is nil imo.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Feel for Hooper. He's been magnificent and now he's been replaced. Admittedly, Pocock is pretty bloody great himself, but he's not played any footy for about 3 months plus. Should have been off the bench for mine.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd love to see some scrum stats comparing TPN and Moore because Moore smokes TPN in pretty much every other aspect of the game. TPN must add a lot at scrum time to justify selection.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Starting Pocock is a surprise to me but it is a conservative move. You don't want a guy who hasn't played for 3½ months, then had another setback on tour, coming off the bench then getting crocked again and the fellow he replaced can't come back on.

Better to start him and anyway Wales were poor at the breakdown last week and Pocock was good against them in Oz.

I wouldn't be surprised if the selection of Pocock makes Wales start with Warburton at 6 and their other fetcher, Tipuric at 7.

Edit - no they didn't pick Tipuric to start - they're playing Shingler at 6.

Wales: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Liam Williams, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Ian Evans, 3 Scott Andrews, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Gethin Jenkins.

Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Ryan Bevington, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Ryan Jones, 20 Justin Tipuric, 21 Tavis Knoyle, 22 Dan Biggar, 23 Scott Williams.

Wales are down to their 3rd or 4th string THP and are without lock Brad Davies, their enforcer, though a penalty magnet.

I hope that Kurtley has his kicking boots on with Barnes probably not kicking the goals; Halfpenny has been slotting them from everywhere.

I wonder if Deans has a counter to the Wales 13 man lineout? Wasn't that a hoot?

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
They lost their first 2 tightheads so onto their 3rd. Should be no problems at all

Worse than that I'd say - Adam Jones, Craig Mitchell, Aaron Jarvis injured and Paul James unavailable. So 5th choice at best with an uncapped 19 year old tighthead on the bench after a handful of senior starts.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pocock will be jumping out of his skin. Give him 40 to 50 minutes and let Hooper(with a lot to prove) loose for the remainder of the test. Or maybe we finish up with Pocock at 6 and Hooper at 7? I would have liked Samo on the bench for the last couple of tests as well.
He has added more impact than any other forward this year when coming on as a replacement. This could have been his last test. Maybe he has a niggle or two?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wales Fan - yeah Wales is a bit like Oz - their starting props are not too bad on their day and the next one or two are decent, but it drops off a bit from there.

However I don't think that there will be too many crocodile tears from Aussies for Wales after the butchers bill we have had in 2012 - (and our 5th string scrummie might get on the park on the weekend).

I think our lads can't wait to get on the plane to come home and watch a bit of cricket. You could see it in the second half in Florence: they were out on their feet. On the other hand, Wales finished the game strongly against the ABs, who looked a bit weary themselves in the 2nd half.

At least we have 4 forwards running on: Pocock, TPN, Higginbotham and Douglas who have had some time off recently for one reason or another. The weariness of the others could be the very reason why these guys are starting, or at least be a contributing factor.

I read somewhere today that Oz will finish up the year 2nd if they win this game and that Wales are a chance to drop out of the top eight if they lose.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of those comments because I don't know the process, but if they are accurate there is a bit in this game.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I read somewhere today that Oz will finish up the year 2nd if they win this game and that Wales are a chance to drop out of the top eight if they lose. I can't vouch for the accuracy of those comments because I don't know the process, but if they are accurate there is a bit in this game.
Wobs to 2nd if they win by 15+ or down to 4th if they draw or lose, me thinks. Maybe there is an upside for playing so many games this year. Is it fair on the Frogs or Saffers if they drop a place just by virtue of playing fewer games?

Status
Not open for further replies.