• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
I just got an automated call from Dave Dennis asking me to renew my membership. Once again proof that the Tahs's Marketing/Membership departments have no real idea on who their members are and how they should be interacted with.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I just got an automated call from Dave Dennis asking me to renew my membership. Once again proof that the Tahs's Marketing/Membership departments have no real idea on who their members are and how they should be interacted with.
LOL so did I - whose the coach?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That's almost a good idea, though. They should make all the players not on Wallaby duty do a few shifts of calling members personally. I'd be stoked to get a call like that -- I reckon they'd get some good publicity out of it if they didn't fuck it up by turning it into a stunt instead of a genuine initiative.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

I just got an automated call from Tom Carter thanking me for the support. Considering he only has to ring me and Bruce, you would think the recording would have taken longer.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Interesting marketing test, multiple messages to see who gets the best response and cheap to implement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's almost a good idea, though. They should make all the players not on Wallaby duty do a few shifts of calling members personally. I'd be stoked to get a call like that -- I reckon they'd get some good publicity out of it if they didn't fuck it up by turning it into a stunt instead of a genuine initiative.

I got the Dave Dennis call too. Slightly annoying as I've already renewed my membership.

I thought they did some personal player calls last season to get people to renew. I definitely think it is a good idea.

I know in the NBA, the Miami Heat got their players to call their members a couple of years ago after they had a really bad season to encourage them to renew.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I just got an automated call from Tom Carter thanking me for the support. Considering he only has to ring me and Bruce, you would think the recording would have taken longer.
this is the same Tom Carter they made an offer to, withdrew it and then re-offered it?
He's a team man no doubt about it!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Saw Tom in Annandale last week, bastard didn't tap me up for a membership. You reckon waju's a tragic Tahs' supporter, he's an L plater compared to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We could certainly use a 4/6 or just a lock.

I guess it depends on whether Richard Stanford is going to be contracted for next year.

It would seem like Greg Petersen should probably be let go.

Maybe Luke Jones would like to return home to hang out with his old schoolmate Michael Hooper?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
We could certainly use a 4/6 or just a lock.

I guess it depends on whether Richard Stanford is going to be contracted for next year.

It would seem like Greg Petersen should probably be let go.

Maybe Luke Jones would like to return home to hang out with his old schoolmate Michael Hooper?

Cadeyrn Neville would have been handy as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With Vickerman officially off the books do we have room for another purchase? If so, who?

We need mobility and work rate, we have two TH locks in Timani and Douglas, we need some athleticism and lineout skills.

A guy like Tom Alexander, Jed Holloway or one of the thousand Uni workrate locks

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good call fat guy.

With Dennis able to do a lot of lineout receiving you don't need a stable of giraffes to complement Timani and Douglas. The Tahs have room for at least one shorter, mongrel work-rate lock and fellows like Alexander and Gower are ideal. Holloway has come on more than I ever thought he would in club rugby and was one of the few Oz U/20 players to play well in the tournament a few months ago.

Stanford is a good reserve but has not excited me as a pro player.

Not to the point but I hope that Lopeti Timani gets a contract for next year as I think that he is going to be a significant no. 8. He is a penalty magnet for coming in at the side of rucks, and such, but that could be coached out of him. He is belligerent and agressive and I think he has a better idea than big brother of when and where to make an impact.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So does anyone know the current status of our squad?

Please correct me if any of these are wrong!

Black: contracted
Green: unsure
Blue: EPS last year
Red: Signed but could be leaving
New for 2013

Props: Robbo, Kepu, Ryan, Tilse, Taukeiaho
Hooker/Prop: Ulugia
Hooker: TPN, Fitzpatrick, Mann-Rea
Locks: S. Timani, Douglas, Peterson, Stanford
6/7: Dennis, Hooper, McCutcheon
8: Palu, L. Timani, Metuisela
HB: McKibbin, M. Lucas, Hart, Pretorius
10: Barnes, Foley
12/13: Carter, Horne, Kingston
Wing: Mitchell, Turner, Pakalani, Betham,
Fullback: Ashley-Cooper, Trist, Crawford

So that is 35 people which could form part of the main 30 man squad or the 5 player EPS.

Of that 35, Pretorius may not hang around, some of the EPS might not be renewed, and Stanford and Mann-Rea were only on temporary contracts as fill ins.

I'm not sure if Matt Lucas is on a full contract or is part of the EPS.

Of the EPS from last year I would assume that Lopeti Timani and Grayson Hart will be upgraded to full contracts.

I can't remember if Betham was a fill in or actually had a contract.

Players involved in 2012 who are gone are: Elsom, Vickerman, Mumm, Halangahu, Karauria-Henry, and Alcock who all had full contracts and Jenkins who was drafted in as an injury replacement.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You missed crawford at fullback.

I would keep pakalani. Keep betham in the loop but dont pay him. Trist should never have been signed to begin with - I said that at the time and I stand by it.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tahs need a flyhalf and a lock.

I think holloway played well for the U20, he could be worth an EPS spot. Liked the prop Latu as well.

I havent seen enough of the flyhalves to really comment.

What is hoiles status for next season. I expect he will be part of some sort of wider tahs training squad, along with players like betham, stanford, metuisela.

Status
Not open for further replies.