• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be able to go to a game and see Roberts as big wales former test icon that watched in 6 nations and lions games is a plus for me. As big name player in rugby circles will certainly help with fan pull.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do wonder if there's not more value in relocating Glen Vaihu from the Rebels? He doesn't appear to be in their main squad and is there more value for Australian rugby to get him more game time with the Tahs over the mentoring role that Roberts will play?

Obviously this would be done via the magical RA Central Player Management that we will slide so easily into.
I just think Harrison, Donaldson and Edmed will all get far more out of have Robert’s around and that will be of more benefit for the Tahs and Australian rugby then the benefit of bringing Vaihu in. Foketi & Perese as well - although there is a chance Perese will get pushed to the wing to accommodate him.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Can't wait for the season to start, 3 wins is what I am expecting but who knows maybe we'll get a couple more.

Just need a main sponsor and we are cooking with gas

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He was after Wamberal's time. ;)

I was living and working in Thailand during Topo's time. International rugby virtually did not exist, except for Radio New Zealand. I used to go to the Qantas city office to read the week's papers.

When I returned to Australia I remember him running a gym in the city.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I just think Harrison, Donaldson and Edmed will all get far more out of have Robert’s around and that will be of more benefit for the Tahs and Australian rugby then the benefit of bringing Vaihu in. Foketi & Perese as well - although there is a chance Perese will get pushed to the wing to accommodate him.
I think Reg has not seen the evidence of what the force aged warriors have brought to the force in terms of experience and balance to the force (thrush, Kahui, Holmes and to lesser extent Kearney). I do believe until the force successfully did this there was not the desire to look at players in their early to mid 30s. The force experience I believe changed this. I don’t buy into bringing another less experienced player into a side lacking experienced pro rugby quality players is better option then bringing in someone like Roberts. Yeh you don’t want too many in this category but we are talking about one player in this category for goodness sake.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh. Just another example of the Force being trailblazers and doing something for the first time ahead of everyone else. Like Radike and Wallace-Harrison for the Reds 2011. Hoiles in 2014.

The Force signed 30+ year olds for two reasons. 1) they were the only players left on the market. 2) Twiggy promised stars.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) returned to the Waratahs at 35. Josh Man Rea was 36 when he retired from the Brumbies. George Smith was 36 when he signed with the Reds, Stephen Moore was 34, Radike Samo 35. Radike Samo even played a season for the Rebels as a 39 year old.

Probably more that I’m forgetting, but there’s been a reasonable history of mid 30s players in Australian teams, they just normally tend to favour the younger.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh. Just another example of the Force being trailblazers and doing something for the first time ahead of everyone else. Like Radike and Wallace-Harrison for the Reds 2011. Hoiles in 2014.

The Force signed 30+ year olds for two reasons. 1) they were the only players left on the market. 2) Twiggy promised stars.
Reg we are talking of recent desire to do this - 2011 and 2014 are long time between drinks. But whether force or reds look at the evidence where it works. I was Citing force as recent example.
And you also highlighted exact point making which is not much in the market so hence why sensible to look at older experienced players given competitive market For talent.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) returned to the Waratahs at 35. Josh Man Rea was 36 when he retired from the Brumbies. George Smith was 36 when he signed with the Reds, Stephen Moore was 34, Radike Samo 35. Radike Samo even played a season for the Rebels as a 39 year old.

Probably more that I’m forgetting, but there’s been a reasonable history of mid 30s players in Australian teams, they just normally tend to favour the younger.
39 yo Giteau has signed for another season with the LA Appletinis, or whatever they're called.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
any player in their mid-30s is past their best, doesn’t mean they aren’t of value to the team though.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Fact is some of the young blokes will be stoked to be on the same training paddock, gym, playing field as someone who’s played for the B&I Lions. The kids in the team can learn valuable lessons on the dedication, work, etc it takes to play so many tests and still be playing professionally after so many years. Even if he doesn’t play many minutes, if he can be an example to all the talented young guys coming through, I’d be happy with that.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fact is some of the young blokes will be stoked to be on the same training paddock, gym, playing field as someone who’s played for the B&I Lions. The kids in the team can learn valuable lessons on the dedication, work, etc it takes to play so many tests and still be playing professionally after so many years. Even if he doesn’t play many minutes, if he can be an example to all the talented young guys coming through, I’d be happy with that.

I mentioned leadership and the lack there of within the Tahs group last season. Having Hooper back is huge. But adding the likes of Roberts will be almost as valuable to the playing group. There's no substitute for that kind of experience.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have no issue with Roberts, they’ve stipulated in the press release that’s he’s there for injury cover. Probably an arrangement that suits him so he can suss out if he wants to settle in Aus with the lady friend. That implies that he’s at least behind Foketi and Perese et al, if he happens to do enough to show that he should be picked ahead of them then so be it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That’s a really interesting sign considering I doubt it’s for big money. Hopefully sets up the opportunity for more big names to live in Sydney and help develop/play alongside younger squad members. Biggest overseas signing since Potgieter?
Name player..profile..marketing 101 before gets on the field…limits the downside vs signing another unknown unproven rookie (yeh reg a friendly dig at you as you are old and ugly enough to take it and give back lol)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Those mid 30s players i mentioned were all post 2014; Samo(2015), Moore(2017), Smith(2018), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)(2019) Josh Man Rea(2019).

Force certainly aren’t first team to do it, they do have the highest concentration though.
Not saying new but heck let’s accept force done it at much greater scale in recent times - yeh because overseas deMand and dollars on offer escalated that with Japan adding to the fold…