• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. B&I Lions - Saturday 15 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Tahs were missing a lot of key players and it showed. The only two that stood out for me were Mitchell who worked his ass off after a very average start and Skelton, though Foley and McKibbon were fair. Carter showed his flair for right place, right time again. How a centre that slow wangles as many tries as he has in recent years I do not know.

Lions impressive. Lots of turnovers, rock solid defense, really good at drawing and passing. They are addicted to blitz defense and will be difficult to contain if the refs aren't policing offside.

I'm expecting the Brumbies to be better, but I fear they will sorely miss White's tactical kicking.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great game by the Lions and good heart shown by the tahs.

Any thoughts on Rob Horne learning how to pass though his vision is poor but makes up with strong defence any thoughts?

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
Watched in a pub in London w a bunch of (relatively speaking) rugby knowledgable poms , all quite concerned about the ease at which space was found out wide wtih a couple of long passes.
I assured them that this would probably not be a problem come the test matches as super coach has not actually picked a number 10 in our squad to exploit our amazing outside runners.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Lilo starts at 12 we have a chance to exploit that space. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will need to pass it as well though. Davis was very impressive in his ability to set up the outside men with both short and long passes, very Conrad Smith like and I for one would choose him in a team ahead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

It appears he might be 12 with BOD 13 which will be hard to contain.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Look, I'm just another punter bemused how a Tahs thread can turn into a Quade Fucking Cooper thread. But apparently, it can in some minds. Maybe we should have a rule about that...

One mention does not a thread make. If it does go that way but, I reckon it will be on you. Just sayin'

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched in a pub in London w a bunch of (relatively speaking) rugby knowledgable poms , all quite concerned about the ease at which space was found out wide wtih a couple of long passes.
I assured them that this would probably not be a problem come the test matches as super coach has not actually picked a number 10 in our squad to exploit our amazing outside runners.
As in the reds game, there was space out wide, but only when you are attacking from your own half, as the Lions wingers are back waiting for the kick. Once you cross the halfway, they come up and the space disappears. As both Foley and Cooper showed there is value in the cross field kick in your own half, but if you don't get it near perfect, you are going to isolate the ball a long way from support.. But if you think that the Wallabies are going play risky and run the ball out of their own end and cross kick and cut pass with abandon, .......well that would sort of go against how they have been playing I think.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone caught using the word synergy should be kicked in the balls. Repeatedly.

Lions blitz defence in their own 40 could have been nullified with just a couple of short kicks to keep them on their toes. Half p was sweeping well but imagine a cross kick contest with Folau when the red wings have come up to the line, or a grubber through.

It's all about the chase. We didn't put enough kicks out from our 22, which was Shmoo's only real black point

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I see Georgina Robinson is talking up Roberts in the paper post match. Can anyone explain why?

I was at the game, and besides maybe one charge over the gain line he did fuck all except get injured.

But live you miss things

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Lions have not had to face a really strong forward pack yet (apologies to the Reds, who were pretty good). When they do, their defensive line will be bent and broken, and there will be opportunities to go wide for sure.

Plus of course, the danger that a brilliant running half-back will present to them.

One thing we will need to try is some lineout variations, especially close to their line.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How are the Brumbies pack shaping up for Tuesday?

because she'd already written the article!

She was prescient about Davies then. Guy was brilliant and should play 12 to BOD's 13.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The referee didn't do us any favours but the Tahs were never going to win against the Lions playing hard and at pace. I was impressed by how fast the Lions could shift from defence to attack or from wide to tight play. The Wobs will struggle under the current gameplay.*

* based on the assumption that there is a recognisable gameplay beyond "play what's in front of you".

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
About to watch my replay. This should be fun.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The referee didn't do us any favours but the Tahs were never going to win against the Lions playing hard and at pace. I was impressed by how fast the Lions could shift from defence to attack or from wide to tight play. The Wobs will struggle under the current gameplay.*

* based on the assumption that there is a recognisable gameplay beyond "play what's in front of you".

The wallabies will be a lot harder to overcome at the breakdown and be much faster to re-align defense.

I doubt the Lions will be able to control the influence of Robinson, Horwill, Hooper and Gill at the breakdown in terms of what those four players can do on the ball.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really enjoyed watching the game, even though the result didn't live up to my dreams.

Reds v Lions. wonderful game as well.

Ponies vs Lions should also be a cracker.

As expected Lions are ratcheting it up with each game.

The First Test will be memorable.

Still think Wobs will win.

#2 and #10 will be key potential vulnerabilities for both teams.

Warburton still seems to be off the pace and may also be a vulnerability for the Lions in the first test. Didn't seem to do a terrible lot that stood out as LIONS CAPTAIN and/or GAMECHANGER last night.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Warburton was average last night, Croft had his youtube moment but did little else if they start the first test the Lions will be in trouble. Halfpenny was immense, thought Zebo had a decent game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.