• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs Super Rugby Rd 10, Fri 19 April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Drew will probably start firing now. No doubt. He will be a happy chap signing in France and able to play with gits. Good mates.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the size of the Toulon squad he'll probably have every second week off, so I'd make that a whopping 4 touches a month.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis (C)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Brendan McKibbin
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Rob Horne
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Cam Crawford
15. Israel Folau

Reserves (one to be omitted)
John Ulugia
Paddy Ryan
Mitchell Chapman
Will Skelton
Pat McCutcheon
Matt Lucas
Ben Volavola
Peter Betham

Chiefs team to play the Waratahs.
  1. Pauliasi Manu
  2. Hika Elliot
  3. Ben Tameifuna
  4. Michael Fitzgerald
  5. Brodie Retallick
  6. Liam Messam ©
  7. Sam Cane
  8. Fritz Lee
  9. Brendon Leonard
  10. Aaron Cruden
  11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma
  12. Richard Kahui
  13. Charlie Ngatai
  14. Lelia Masaga
  15. Andrew Horrell
  16. Rhys Marshall
  17. Michael Kainga
  18. Nick Crosswell
  19. Tanerau Latimer
  20. August Pulu
  21. Gareth Anscombe
  22. Tim Nanai-Williams

For the Tahs, Cam Crawford makes his debut and possibly Will Skelton off the bench if he stays in the side (one player has to be omitted).

McKibbin still has the starting halfback role.

Great to see TPN and Cliffy Palu back in the starting side.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Disappointed that McKibben is still in team thought Lucas deserved a go. Looking forward to seeing Crawford get a run out.

Are the Chiefs resting a few blokes from their first choice XV? Still a very talented side in fairness. Everything on paper is pointing to a Chiefs win IMO, which probably means the Tahs will win as I have been tipping them every week.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Waratahs

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis (C)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Brendan McKibbin
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Rob Horne
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Cam Crawford
15. Israel Folau

Reserves (one to be omitted)
John Ulugia
Paddy Ryan
Mitchell Chapman
Will Skelton
Pat McCutcheon
Matt Lucas
Ben Volavola
Peter Betham

Great to see TPN and Cliffy Palu back in the starting side.

It looks to me that when Cheika said the Tahs were out of contention he wasn't just sandbagging. He's starting to have a close look at his options for next year.

I assume Chapman has an injury that makes him doubtful and one of him and Skelton will drop out. But it is very interesting that Skelton has been chosen before Atkins and Peterson. Cheika obviously thinks Will has a lot more potential than the other two. Also interesting that Lopeti is getting no game time. With Cliffy looking at a stint overseas Lopeti needs to be developed - McCutcheon is no replacement for Palu. He backs up Dennis and Hooper, but does not have the oomph that Palu has.

I don't think this was the game to debut Crawford. The Kings game in two weeks time is a far better opportunity. Friday against the Chiefs backline will be a daunting experience and one which could easily set him back a long way. Starting him at fullback with Folau on the wing against the Kings would have been much better. Betham hasn't had a lot of time on the park this year and he needs as much as he can get if he's to develop his game to be a genuine starter next year. This I don't like. The other problem is that Kingston has been electric off the bench this year, but is not getting the game time he needs to develop. Thank goodness that Osbourne is injured - his 30 minutes last week nearly won the game for the Chiefs on his own.

I want to see both Ryan and Lucas on shortly after half time. I don't think Kepu or McKibbon have shown enough this year to hold their places and Ryan should definitely be starting. I'd like to see Lucas get 35 minutes this week and next and to start against the Kings. If he goes OK then McKibbon is bench fodder for the rest of the year.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
-I want to see both Ryan and Lucas on shortly after half time. I don't think Kepu or McKibbon have shown enough this year to hold their places and Ryan should definitely be starting. I'd like to see Lucas get 35 minutes this week and next and to start against the Kings. If he goes OK then McKibbon is bench fodder for the rest of the year.

Very forgiving Hawko. I think Lucas has already shown enough to be starting, with McKibben to the bench. Perhaps Cheika feels he can't rely on Foley's kicking. How long 'til Barnes is back?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Very forgiving Hawko. I think Lucas has already shown enough to be starting, with McKibben to the bench. Perhaps Cheika feels he can't rely on Foley's kicking. How long 'til Barnes is back?

Based on the six week timeframe, you'd think he'd definitely be back for the Stormers game in three weeks time (he'd certainly hope so if he wants to play against the Lions).

I guess we'll get an indication of how close he is if they take him on the two game South African tour which will presumably leave this weekend.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Best of luck in this one. I think we may have pissed them off last week so they should be all fired up for you blokes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the Reds may have done exactly that and we will be on the receiving end.

Dear Reds,

Thanks for your nothing. You should have lost last week so we would have a better chance of catching the Chiefs napping.

We did our part by losing to you earlier this year to build your confidence.

So much for Australian Rugby solidarity.

Yours in Rugby
Waratahs

Reactions: BPC

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I like the team other than McKibben at half. I assume that goal kicking is the reason, but I think his shortcomings at half far outweigh his contribution as a kicker. Perhaps one can hide a goal kicker on the wing, but not in one of the key positions.

It will be interesting to see how the Waratahs are affected by the bye.

I'm also hoping for a bigger crowd this week - even though it' a Friday night, it is school holidays so families can get moving earlier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Drew will probably start firing now. No doubt. He will be a happy chap signing in France and able to play with gits. Good mates.

Who wouldn't be happy playing in the south west of France?:)

If I was a lot younger and had a lot more ability I'd try it myself.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Kahui has been the form 13 for me. Pity he and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) aren't going head to head, would give the best indication yet of how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is travelling and just how much can be expected from him in the Lions tests.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Very curious re Lopeti. Is he out of the frame? Hurt? In the doghouse? I'd have thought blooding him as much as possible was essential.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I assume Chapman has an injury that makes him doubtful and one of him and Skelton will drop out. But it is very interesting that Skelton has been chosen before Atkins and Peterson.
Peterson is injured, dont know about Atkins, and Chapman

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Kahui has been the form 13 for me. Pity he and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) aren't going head to head, would give the best indication yet of how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is travelling and just how much can be expected from him in the Lions tests.

Kabuki almost ripped us apart last week. He'll be and absolute nightmare this week against the Tah's. Amazingly smart footballer with the physicality and speed to go with it.

I really look forward to watching him play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.