• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs Super Rugby Rd 10, Fri 19 April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
../...snip../.

I assume Chapman has an injury that makes him doubtful and one of him and Skelton will drop out. But it is very interesting that Skelton has been chosen before Atkins and Peterson. Cheika obviously thinks Will has a lot more potential than the other two. ../snip../...

Chieka has not been exactly overly generous with the game time for the other 2nd row debutant, Jed Holloway, so far this year. On the back of that, I can't see Skelton getting too much time on field even if he is listed in the 22.

Still a fantastic experience for the young giant. Hope we get to see lots of him in the future if he can get himself charging at the opposition like a rabid Wildebeast in the rutting season.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It looks to me that when Cheika said the Tahs were out of contention he wasn't just sandbagging. He's starting to have a close look at his options for next year.

I assume Chapman has an injury that makes him doubtful and one of him and Skelton will drop out. But it is very interesting that Skelton has been chosen before Atkins and Peterson. Cheika obviously thinks Will has a lot more potential than the other two. Also interesting that Lopeti is getting no game time. With Cliffy looking at a stint overseas Lopeti needs to be developed - McCutcheon is no replacement for Palu. He backs up Dennis and Hooper, but does not have the oomph that Palu has.

I don't think this was the game to debut Crawford. The Kings game in two weeks time is a far better opportunity. Friday against the Chiefs backline will be a daunting experience and one which could easily set him back a long way. Starting him at fullback with Folau on the wing against the Kings would have been much better. Betham hasn't had a lot of time on the park this year and he needs as much as he can get if he's to develop his game to be a genuine starter next year. This I don't like. The other problem is that Kingston has been electric off the bench this year, but is not getting the game time he needs to develop. Thank goodness that Osbourne is injured - his 30 minutes last week nearly won the game for the Chiefs on his own.

I want to see both Ryan and Lucas on shortly after half time. I don't think Kepu or McKibbon have shown enough this year to hold their places and Ryan should definitely be starting. I'd like to see Lucas get 35 minutes this week and next and to start against the Kings. If he goes OK then McKibbon is bench fodder for the rest of the year.

I agree with virtually everything said here. As to the McKibben v Lucas issue, I agree with you, however Chieka has been clear he wants to develop a combination between him and Foley, and he is prepared to allow time for this to happen. Don't know if I agree, but that's his reasoning. As to Kepu, I'm quite sure he sees him as a better scrummager than Ryan, despite the extra energy Ryan brings around the paddock.

I don't know enough about Crawford to comment on his debut in such a big game, but I know with staff sometimes if you have someone who you believe has the talent but aren't really showing it, throwing them in the deep end and saying 'I have faith in you to do this' often brings out the best in them.

On another issue Kahui moving to 12 mightn't be a bad thing for us. Horne may be a bit one dimensional in attack, but the kid can really tackle and gets up and hits early, which may be just what we need on a very dangerous player.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nothing saying that he couldn't be a Tah. He speaks highly of them in his posts, and is constantly putting forward areas for improvement for the team like any consummate prefessional would do. Pretty sure that he has fessed up to being a Grammar Old Boy. That is one box ticked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK you blokes, cut out the petty chatter and put your hands up for an afternoon on the piss. Better still, bring your petty chatter with you on the 19th.

Is it The Local Taphouse from 5pm or so on Friday?

I'll be there by 5:30. Hopefully I make it earlier than that!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see Cam C get a go. Thought he should have been used a bit more at the Brums last year. Hope he puts in a good one.

Do I discern a note or two of disillusionment starting to creep into some comments by Tahs fans on this thread? Imo that would not be appropriate. The Tahs 2013 are a street ahead of last year's mob, and are starting to show real intent in their play. I do think, however, that the Chiefs will be too strong this weekend, but the Tahs' job is a bit easier with TNW and Anscombe on the bench, and Kahui at 12. NZ rugby is very well served for 13s with C Smith, Ranger and Kahui whom I rate as the best.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really looking forward to the 12 battle of Horne and Kahui. It's time for the Wallabies to stand up.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chiefs to bounce back after suprising loss to the Reds.
Tahs confidence within their playing group has to be at low point
with 2013 performances and now with Drew getting the shits and becoming a froggie.
Feel for Cheika (who really looks the goods to me) and Tah fans - how tp fix ???? No frigging idea.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Coming in with the missus, but from home so given Sydney traffic is already bad on a Friday.....

rsa, don't forget the Swans are playing next door tonight. I wouldn't take a car anywhere near Moore Park, it'll be gridlock all the way back to Chatswood and the Spit Bridge with the well-to-do trying to get to these games. Maybe a train to Central and a bus, or walk up the hill, would get you and your lovely spare rib to the Taphouse in time for a beer.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spot booked at The Local Taphouse from 5:00pm, look for me. If you don't know me find the best moustache in the pub and I'll be hiding behind it, decked out in Tahs blue.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Will you being heading back there post game? Won't make it down before the game but I've got a feeling I'll need a drink after

Status
Not open for further replies.